Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Nvidia nForce SoundStorm APU: Digital output, Surround and Hardware mixing

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Nvidia nForce SoundStorm APU: Digital output, Surround and Hardware mixing

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    Are you sure you don't have any alsa driver loaded?
    Check the output of:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep snd_
    If you get any output an alsa driver is still loaded, which prevents the nvsound driver from working.
    If that's the case, make sure you did everything in the first part of step 2 correctly (= blacklist the alsa driver. Check your spelling and remember that linux is case sensitive). Reboot and try again.
    Hi, I'm new at this, too. I followed your instructions with Intrepid but don't have sound from speakers attached to my A7N8X Deluxe board (except that funny drum sound at startup). I notice that grepping snd_ I apparently have an alsa driver loaded, but I don't see instructions in step 2 in how to blacklist it (step 2 only seems to blacklist the intel8x0). When I try to run NVMIXER I get the "Nvsound: Unable to open the Mixer" error. I checked and the intel8x0 is not loaded (When I do a "lsmod | grep intel8x0" nothing comes back).

Please tell me how to blacklist the alsa driver.
    Last edited by MadCityGuy; April 8th, 2009 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Adding detail

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: HOWTO: Nvidia nForce SoundStorm APU: Digital output, Surround and Hardware mixing

Quote Originally Posted by MadCityGuy View Post
    Hi, I'm new at this, too. I followed your instructions with Intrepid but don't have sound from speakers attached to my A7N8X Deluxe board (except that funny drum sound at startup). I notice that grepping snd_ I apparently have an alsa driver loaded, but I don't see instructions in step 2 in how to blacklist it (step 2 only seems to blacklist the intel8x0). When I try to run NVMIXER I get the "Nvsound: Unable to open the Mixer" error. I checked and the intel8x0 is not loaded (When I do a "lsmod | grep intel8x0" nothing comes back).

Please tell me how to blacklist the alsa driver.
    The "alsa driver" IS intel8x0. If it is not loaded, no other alsa modules should be loaded when you reboot.
    What is your output of:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep snd_
    To manually unload any alsa modules that are loaded, try this:
    Code:
    sudo alsa force-unload
    sudo modprobe nvsound

Beans

The "alsa driver" IS intel8x0. If it is not loaded, no other alsa modules should be loaded when you reboot.
    What is your output of:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep snd_
    To manually unload any alsa modules that are loaded, try this:
    Code:
    sudo alsa force-unload
    sudo modprobe nvsound
    Thanks! the sudo also force-unload succesfully unloaded the also modules (they were loaded even though intel8x0 was NOT loaded). I also had a permissions problem - my account didn't have rights to audio. I think I'm almost there; all I need to do is to figure out codecs.

Thank you very much for your help.
    Last edited by MadCityGuy; April 9th, 2009 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Solved it.

Beans

Probably some function in the kernel has been renamed or replaced with another one. If we're lucky it's possible to find a workaround or some dirty hack to get it working...

I may look into it if I get bored some weekend, until then I hope someone else have any ideas.

In case someone likes to give it a try:
    The last time a kernel upgrade broke the nvsound module (somewhere between 2.6.24 and 2.6.26 or .27), I looked through the kernel changelogs (kernel.org) to find what happened to the function that gave the error in that case. In this case a good start would be to find out what "register_sound_mixer" and "register_sound_dsp" have been replaced with and make the corresponding changes in NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0310-pkg1/nvsound/main/nvmain.c (lines 2134 and 2143). After that there may be new similar errors that may be solved in a similar way...
    Hi,
    were you able to determine the change in 2.6.28? The patches work fine and the compilation runs through fine, but it is the loading of the nvsound module that fails. Same messages essentially:
    Code:
    nvsound: Unknown symbol unregister_sound_dsp
    nvsound: Unknown symbol unregister_sound_mixer
    Symbol init_mm is marked as UNUSED, however this module is using it.
    This symbol will go away in the future.
    Please evalute if this is the right api to use and if it really is, submit a report the linux kernel mailinglist together with submitting your code for inclusion.
    nvsound: Unknown symbol register_sound_mixer
    nvsound: Unknown symbol register_sound_dsp
    I looked through the kernel changes for 2.6.28_rc* to 2.6.28 but do not see anything which has changed the register_sound_* functions. However, doing the following does not produce any output.
    Code:
    cd /usr/src/linux/arch/x86/include
    grep -r register * | grep sound
    Again these functions are present in /usr/src/linux/sound, so I am completely at a loss on what has changed.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ppurka View Post
    Hi,
    were you able to determine the change in 2.6.28? The patches work fine and the compilation runs through fine, but it is the loading of the nvsound module that fails. Same messages essentially:
    Code:
    nvsound: Unknown symbol unregister_sound_dsp
    nvsound: Unknown symbol unregister_sound_mixer
    Symbol init_mm is marked as UNUSED, however this module is using it.
    This symbol will go away in the future.
    Please evalute if this is the right api to use and if it really is, submit a report the linux kernel mailinglist together with submitting your code for inclusion.
    I looked through the kernel changes for 2.6.28_rc* to 2.6.28 but do not see anything which has changed the register_sound_* functions. However, doing the following does not produce any output.
    Code:
    cd /usr/src/linux/arch/x86/include
    grep -r register * | grep sound
    Again these functions are present in /usr/src/linux/sound, so I am completely at a loss on what has changed.
    I get no such errors on 2.6.28. It all works fine with my new (4 weeks ago), fixed patch script. The older version of the script was too strict, and ignored a couple of lines in the file main/nvalinux.c that contained tabs instead of spaces. The driver compiled fine even without those changes, but the module failed to load with the errors:
    Code:
    Start from the beginning with fresh files (delete the old NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0310-pkg1 directory and extract the installer again), and make sure you use my new patch files (from here).

Beans

I get no such errors on 2.6.28. It all works fine with my new (4 weeks ago), fixed patch script. The older version of the script was too strict, and ignored a couple of lines in the file main/nvalinux.c that contained tabs instead of spaces. The driver compiled fine even without those changes, but the module failed to load with the errors:
    Code:
    Start from the beginning with fresh files (delete the old NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0310-pkg1 directory and extract the installer again), and make sure you use my new patch files (from here).
    That is wierd. I just did a diff between your link and the tar.gz file I download a couple of days ago from the first post in this thread. There is no difference.

I had a quick look at the 2.6.27.patch file. I noticed that you are using
    Code:
    patch -bl
    to patch the files. This means that it will ignore all whitespace problems. To try it out, I replaced that with
    Code:
    patch -b --dry-run
    and sure enough the patch failed exactly as described in an earlier post #288 of yours!

I think you uploaded the old patch files If that is true, then I am saved. I will try the solution you provided in post #288 and hopefully the module will load successfully

EDIT: Unfortunately, the above didn't work.
    Could this be because I have linux-headers from 2.6.27 instead of 2.6.28

EDIT 2: I tried the same after installing linux-headers 2.6.28. It still gives the same error. I guess I will stay with 2.6.27. Thank you for all your help and the patches,- it works in 2.6.27 absolutely fine
    I forgot to mention earlier: this is on a gentoo system. Maybe the ubuntu kernels have some additional patches which help you somewhere. So, I guess I shouldn't waste your time any more. :/
    Last edited by ppurka; May 5th, 2009 at 08:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro

That is wierd. I just did a diff between your link and the tar.gz file I download a couple of days ago from the first post in this thread. There is no difference.

I had a quick look at the 2.6.27.patch file. I noticed that you are using
    Code:
    patch -bl
    to patch the files. This means that it will ignore all whitespace problems. To try it out, I replaced that with
    Code:
    patch -b --dry-run
    and sure enough the patch failed exactly as described in an earlier post #288 of yours!

I think you uploaded the old patch files If that is true, then I am saved. I will try the solution you provided in post #288 and hopefully the module will load successfully

EDIT 2: I tried the same after installing linux-headers 2.6.28. It still gives the same error. I guess I will stay with 2.6.27. Thank you for all your help and the patches,- it works in 2.6.27 absolutely fine
    I forgot to mention earlier: this is on a gentoo system. Maybe the ubuntu kernels have some additional patches which help you somewhere. So, I guess I shouldn't waste your time any more. :/
    The patch script with "patch -bl" is the new one (that I uploaded 4 or 5 weeks ago, the old one actually failed on 2.6.27 as well, I just did not notice it as I installed with the version that I had patched manually when I made the fix for the 2.6.27 kernel).
    You need to have the exact same version of kernel headers as your running kernel, otherwise it will never compile. If you compile the driver against the 2.6.27 kernel it will only work when you run a 2.6.27 kernel.

Beans

The patch script with "patch -bl" is the new one (that I uploaded 4 or 5 weeks ago, the old one actually failed on 2.6.27 as well, I just did not notice it as I installed with the version that I had patched manually when I made the fix for the 2.6.27 kernel).
    You need to have the exact same version of kernel headers as your running kernel, otherwise it will never compile. If you compile the driver against the 2.6.27 kernel it will only work when you run a 2.6.27 kernel.
    Actually, the following is what I have tried:
    linux-headers-2.6.27 + linux-2.6.27: it compiles and loads
    linux-headers-2.6.27 + linux-2.6.28: it compiles but fails to load
    linux-headers-2.6.28 + linux-2.6.28: it compiles but fails to load

Moreover, in gentoo you always need some kernel source file to be present in /usr/src (because most of the time you will be compiling your own kernel) and the log of the nvsound compilation have -I<include directory> which points to the headers in /usr/src/linux-<version>. For example, this is one of the compilation lines
    Code:
      cc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/selfgz5701/NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0310-pkg1/nvsound/main/.nv
       sound.mod.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.3.2/inclu
       de -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -Iinclude2 -I/usr/src/linux-2.6.28-gentoo-r5/inclu
       de -I/usr/src/linux-2.6.28-gentoo-r5/arch/x86/include -include include/linux
       /autoconf.h  -I/tmp/selfgz5701/NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0310-pkg1/nvsound/main -
       Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-co
       mmon -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Os -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3
       -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=athlon -Wa,-mtune=ge
       neric32 -ffreestanding -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -pip
       e -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-s
       se2 -mno-3dnow -I/usr/src/linux-2.6.28-gentoo-r5/arch/x86/include/asm/mach-d
       efault -Iarch/x86/include/asm/mach-default -fno-stack-protector -fomit-frame
       -pointer -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fwrapv  -I/tmp/sel
       fgz5701/NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0310-pkg1/nvsound/main -Wall -Wimplicit -Wretur
       n-type -Wswitch -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -Wparentheses -Wpointer-ar
       ith -Wno-multichar -Werror -O -MD -Wno-cast-qual -Wno-error -DNV_REMAP_PFN_R
       ANGE_PRESENT -DNV_CHANGE_PAGE_ATTR_PRESENT  -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_B
       ASENAME=KBUILD_STR(nvsound.mod)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(nvsound)"  -D
       MODULE -c -o /tmp/selfgz5701/NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0310-pkg1/nvsound/main/nvs
       ound.mod.o /tmp/selfgz5701/NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0310-pkg1/nvsound/main/nvsou
       nd.mod.c
    In my 5 yrs of running gentoo, I haven't found any problems with linux-headers being a different version from the actual kernel I am running. Anyway, since I am on a different distribution, I don't want to bother you too much

Beans

Delete question - I didn't notice that you've updated the instructions to include Jaunty.
    Last edited by MadCityGuy; May 7th, 2009 at 03:40 PM.

Beans

Well I got similar problems with 2.6.28 & 2.6.29, I tried to solve them but I fail :/

With both versions I got it worked without the error:

Code:
    but the system freezes when the nvsound module is loaded :/

What I tried (if I dont remember bad ):
    2.6.28: replace the new linux-2.6.28/sound/sound_core.c for the oldone (2.6.27)

2.6.29: Patch linux-2.6.29/arch/x86/kernel/init_task.c and add
    Code:
    EXPORT_UNUSED_SYMBOL(init_mm); /* will be removed in 2.6.26 */
    And patch other files related to this one (.h) that I dont remember in this moment.

That was my "fast attempts" 'cause I havent enough free time to try to find a solution

PS: Seems that the ubuntu version of the 2.6.28 kernel works (I dont probe it). Download the sources package and try it
    Last edited by pipik; May 9th, 2009 at 11:51 PM.

Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast