Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's a good opensource free program for drawing and creating electronic schematics.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question What's a good opensource free program for drawing and creating electronic schematics.

Like this==>

and

It's just interesting stuff....

EDIT--> Oh, And it has to be easy to install too.!
    Last edited by jason.b.c; September 8th, 2006 at 03:19 AM.
    Ubuntu 10.10 user..
    Registered Linux user #419240.
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." -- Linus Torvalds.

Beans

Re: What's a good opensource free program for drawing and creating electronic schematics.

Dia?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What's a good opensource free program for drawing and creating electronic schemat

I wonder how well Eagle would run under Wine? I haven't used it in ages, but I used to love it back when I was heavily into microcontrollers and robotics.

Prices aren't too terrible for the higher versions, and if your needs are reasonably modest you can get by perfectly well with the freeware version.

http://www.cadsoftusa.com/
    =======================
    Futz's Microcontrollers & Robotics
    =======================

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What's a good opensource free program for drawing and creating electronic schemat

Just googled and found xcircuit
    http://opencircuitdesign.com/xcircuit/
    It's in the repos, so you can install and try it easily with Synaptic.
    =======================
    =======================

Beans
    Hidden!

I use eagle it should be in the 32bit repos. i have not seen it listed in the 64bit repos. theres also spice sim's for testing your circuits.
    Advantages and Disadvantages of 64bit.(Plus install Guides)

‘In search of some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.’

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by SD-Plissken View Post
    I use eagle it should be in the 32bit repos. i have not seen it listed in the 64bit repos. theres also spice sim's for testing your circuits.
    Eagle is native! Awesome! One of these days I'm gonna get caught up with work and start tinkering with electronics again.

I see the repo version is 4.11. At cadsoft's site they have a 4.16 version that is supposed to update an existing install. Haven't tried it.
    Last edited by futz; September 8th, 2006 at 06:43 AM.
    =======================
    =======================

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Dia?
    Never Dia, it lives up to it's name, it is dia. and it's gnome 1.x to boot. old and not being activly developed for a long long time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

afaik eagle isn't an open source application, so i doubt a version for other architectures is available. And the readme of the src of the package (the binaries used to create the package) states:

Code:
      - Intel PC based Linux
      - Kernel version 2.x
      - libc6
      - X11 in at least 8bpp mode with 1024x768 min. resolution
        (800x600 with some minor restrictions)
    and you don't really don't want to do those kind of things in dia, trust me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Re: What's a good opensource free program for drawing and creating electronic schemat

Quote Originally Posted by futz View Post
    Just googled and found xcircuit
    http://opencircuitdesign.com/xcircuit/
    It's in the repos, so you can install and try it easily with Synaptic.
    Yea i found that one as well, But i couldn't figure out how to install it...
    Dia?
    I tried that too, But it refuses to install cleanly...

Anything else....???? .deb's..?? Perhaps..?
    Ubuntu 10.10 user..
    Registered Linux user #419240.
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." -- Linus Torvalds.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jason.b.c View Post
    Yea i found that one as well, But i couldn't figure out how to install it...

I tried that too, But it refuses to install cleanly...

Anything else....???? .deb's..?? Perhaps..?
    I did a pretty thorough google search last night. There's not a whole lot of that type of software for linux out there, for free anyway.

For both drawing schematics and for designing circuit boards, Eagle is pretty tough to beat. Dan Gates' Sumo11 controller boards were designed with it (http://www.1sorc.com/). I've done a few projects with it and it does the job very very well. The autorouter does a decent job mostly, tho you have to help it a bit sometimes.

It takes a bit of time to get used to the way it does things, but read the docs and google for some tutorials (also check http://cadsoftusa.com/ for docs/tutorials) and you'll be up to speed in no time. Eagle is in the repos, so it's a snap to install with Synaptic.

If you're just doing schematics with it and not circuit boards, the freeware version is same as pay version, I think. The limitation of the freeware is in the size of circuit board it will do and the number of layers. But you can do a lot even with the free version, as long as you can pack it onto a smallish pc board.

Xcircuit just didn't grab me as a very good tool, but who knows? Maybe it's better than it looks (and worked during my couple minutes test)? It's in the repos as well, so it's a couple mouse clicks to install with Synaptic. Couldn't be easier.
    =======================
    =======================

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast