Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Upgrade Xubuntu to Xfce 4.4rc1

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Upgrade Xubuntu to Xfce 4.4rc1

Hey, I tried to do this, but it failed. The error log is too long, I also tried the pastebin thing and it didn't work... but the actual install windows says this at the end:

Extension Library:
    Running Configure... Done
    Running Make All... Failed
    The end of the error log says:
    !! Failed to build exo, see the errors above
    !! for details on the problem.

Anyone know what to do? Thanks!

UPDATE: I ran it again without the Extra optimizations and I got past the Extension Library, but now it says:
    Xfce Volume Control
    Running Configure... Failed
    Last edited by GStubbs43; September 15th, 2006 at 04:04 AM. Reason: fixed error... (copied wrong)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I have found out that the trash applet works perfectly when thunar is open but the error message returns as soon as the thunar window is closed. Does anyone know how to fix this?

I have the new XFCE4.4rc1 working really well including the composite manager so I have nice transparent windows and menus and drop shadows. It does slow the system down a little so I may not keep it but it works well. At this rate I may end up with Xubuntu on my desktop as well.

There are a couple of things that I have lost in the upgrade which I would like to restore if anyone can help me;
    • the logout window now only displays logout, restart and shut down, does anyone know how to restore the hibernate option etc.
    • when restart is checked it now asks for a password which it never used to, is there any way to go back to the old restart
    • does anyone know how to restore the xubuntu splash screen with the mouse running in the wheel?

Also does anyone know how to display the desktop icons as shown here http://thunar.xfce.org/news.html#2006-09-03

Beans
    Hidden!

i'm having some problems after the upgrade, beside the trash.

for example, do you have to type your password to restart/shut down the system?

ok: i got the aswer from the post above (didn't see the new page), so another problems (which i tought it was related) is xfmedia which can't play mp3 (it works in xmms). it tells me i don't have the permissions on the files (but i have) and i have to run it with sudo to make it work.
    Last edited by lepre; September 15th, 2006 at 07:55 AM.
    ubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I am having major problems now, the system is basically unusable. I cannot open any application with gksu or gksudo because the window will not accept anything I type in it. I can't open a terminal, I have tried xfce terminal, aterm, xterm, none of them will work I just receive an input/output error. I can't use the run dialog or the verve command line because they will not accept keyboard input. Abiword will take keyboard input but neither mousepad or gedit will.

I have tried deleting all cache information and settings and starting clean. I have tried starting with xfdesktop disabled and all non-essential services disabled. I have changed the settings so thunar comes on before xfdesktop. I am just about out of ideas.

this all started when I unchecked and rechecked to allow xfce to handle the desktop. This showed the new desktop icons, trash, home and filesystem but immediately led to a whole swag of errors which have crippled my system.

I am about to reinstall and trying to decide whether to install edgy or not. just a warning to be cautious when doing this upgrade.

Beans
    Hidden!

it's possible to go back to beta2?
    ubuntu 10.04

Beans

The upgrade went very well for me. I did get the error message that others got but was able to fix it using suggestions from this discussion -

1. at login set session to xfce 4.4

2. sudo rm /usr/bin/thunar
    sudo rm /usr/bin/Thunar
    sudo cp /usr/local/bin/Thunar /usr/bin/Thunar && sudo cp /usr/local/bin/thunar /usr/bin/thunar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I may have to do that... After several days of goodness, I got the trash error last night.
    For dark is the suede that mows like a harvest

Beans

Red face Re: HOWTO: Upgrade Xubuntu to Xfce 4.4rc1

Quote Originally Posted by GStubbs43 View Post
    ...... I ran it again without the Extra optimizations and I got past the Extension Library, but now it says:

All right it is all installed, I think...
    I am now in 4.4rc1, but I can't change some settings, such as background... When I select Settings>Desktop Settings, it says
    Xfce Settings Manager error:
    No such plugin "backdrop"
    and Splash Screen says
    Xfce Settings Manager error:
    No such plugin "splash"
    I haven't checked all of the settings yet, but those are two I have gotten errors with so far. Any ideas? Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

Hello,

I don't konw if this is because I upgraded to xfce4.4RC-1, but now thunar doesnt refresh automatically changes in directories. For example, if I create a fool directory, I wont see it in Thunar. I installed fam and hal but didnt work. Someone can help me to fix this?
    Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Neo40 View Post
    Hello,

I don't konw if this is because I upgraded to xfce4.4RC-1, but now thunar doesnt refresh automatically changes in directories. For example, if I create a fool directory, I wont see it in Thunar. I installed fam and hal but didnt work. Someone can help me to fix this?
    Thanks!
    same here
    ubuntu 10.04

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast