Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: HOWTO: Upgrade Xubuntu to Xfce 4.4rc1

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Upgrade Xubuntu to Xfce 4.4rc1

Hey battlehorse,

I downgraded xfce4-session back to the Xubuntu version to get the Suspend and Hibernate option back at logout*. Mind you, I have followed sawjew's way of upgrading from Xubuntu to RC2 (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost...5&postcount=25) with the addition of adding the corsac repository shown at the bottom of http://pkg-xfce.alioth.debian.org/, so not quite sure if we are quite at the same setup.

* While I have the Suspend and Hibernate option available again, the one time that I tried to Hibernate, it appeared to do it OK, but then I got an error when starting up again saying that it didn't unmount properly. So I think I need to look at that a bit further...

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Smile Re: HOWTO: Upgrade Xubuntu to Xfce 4.4rc1

I have found a way to fix my issues ( remember that I have installed XFCE 4.4RC2 using the graphical installer available at xfce.org and using apt-get for all the necessary libraries ):

to get the suspend/resume buttons back, I had only to choose "Default System Session" as my preferred session at the login screen ( previously I was using "XFCE Session" ).

Btw this change fixed also the "battery panel applet" problem which some other users reported ( the applet won't stay on the panel unless you are using the Default System Session ).

When using the "Default System Session" I was not able to use the sound (the mixer settings would always reset the volumes to zero) and I had the re-install xfce enabling the alsa option, which in turn forces you to apt-get the package libasound2-dev .

Hope this helps someone else!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: HOWTO: Upgrade Xubuntu to Xfce 4.4rc1

I just upgraded to Xfce 4.4rc2 and while the upgrade seemed to go okay, I've noticed that I've lost all my Desktop shortcuts.... (the original Xubuntu install displayed whatever was in ~/Desktop as icons on the desktop, with Xfce4.4rc2 nothing in the ~/Desktop directory is displayed) minimized applications do appear on the desktop as icons however.

I've also lost the right click menu to add items to the desktop that I used to have in the original Xubuntu install..... Any suggestions on how I can get the old behavior (or at least something like it) back?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678