Thread: why?

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

why?

Why do some people use Ubuntu when they don't have sound?

Beans

Re: why?

I am not sure what you mean by this. Sure, sound may be a problem for a minority of Ubuntu users, but you really do not need to have a high definition hifi experience on a computer for it to be functional. Even without sound, you can still surf the web, read email, do your web-banking.

Bringer.

Beans

What do you mean?

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by djheadley View Post
    What do you mean?
    I have seen a lot of people on the forums saying they don't have a sound card that works under liux and stuff. Why use an OS if you have to buy new hardware for it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

You ask why use a OS if you have to buy new hardware for it. I take it you wont be using the new Windows Vista then. I havent seen a OS where I didnt have to buy something for it depending upon what I needed to do. When I upgraded to XP i had to get a new scanner(no driver support)and a new webcam (no driver support). If I wanted to game I had to buy a new video card. So like many others here I am a little confused to your question.
    In a world without walls who needs Windows??

Beans

With both Windows and Linux it is often the case that you have to install some drivers or change some configurations initially to make the system work. The point here though is that if you rely on speech sythesis to use the computer (and therefore rely on working sound) that configuration step becomes difficult or impossible.
    Henrik Nilsen OmmaUbuntu QA Team Lead