Thread: A small suggestion to improve the forums

Beans

A small suggestion to improve the forums

Ive noticed every second thread in the beginner part of the forum is titled something like, "help me" or "how do I do this". This sort of thing doesn't help anyone.
    In linuxquestions.org when you start a new thread it says just above the bit where you enter the title,

"Please try to be as descriptive as possible. A subject that accurately describes your problem will make your thread much more likely to get a quick response."

I think something like this, particularly in the support sections of the forum, would really help people in getting better quicker responses.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: A small suggestion to improve the forums

agreed

also I wish there is warning or something that tells people to search the forum before posting a new thread...it makes navigating the forums, and fixing problems sooo much easier...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Perhaps it would help, but only if people actually observed the guidelines. Some may, if the guidelines were more prominent, but I think there'd still be lots who jump in and post without thinking first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Not to mention that it's sometimes not possible to do a search, what with the forum speed issues and all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Paul133 View Post
    Not to mention that it's sometimes not possible to do a search, what with the forum speed issues and all.
    and adding more unnecessary thread will slow down the forum even more...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by slimdog360 View Post
    Ive noticed every second thread in the beginner part of the forum is titled something like, "help me" or "how do I do this". This sort of thing doesn't help anyone.
    In linuxquestions.org when you start a new thread it says just above the bit where you enter the title,

"Please try to be as descriptive as possible. A subject that accurately describes your problem will make your thread much more likely to get a quick response."

I think something like this, particularly in the support sections of the forum, would really help people in getting better quicker responses.
    HI!!
    How about.,"Help me find the bottle of wine that I was using to cope with the slow loading of Ubuntu Forums"? That would be a real kicker!

OR.,"How do I respond to a response without having to CAMP OUT in front of my PC"!?