View Poll Results: Which IDE Hard Drive Manufacturer do you Recommend (prefer)?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Maxtor

10 26.32%
  • Seagate

10 26.32%
  • Western Digital

17 44.74%
  • IBM

1 2.63%
  • Fujitsu

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IDE Hard drive Manufacturer Recommendations

Beans

Re: IDE Hard drive Manufacturer Recommendations

Just in case you Maxtor owners have a similiar problem as mine, you might feel reassured to know that Maxtor provided me top notch support today.

My original 30 gig drive failed, got a replacement, and that one failed within a week. I notified their support staff and talked to a Tech Supervisor today on their 800 line. They are sending me a brand new replcacement 40 gig (w/ different drive model at their total expense, incl. shipping).

That's service. That's whats important to me, even over drive performance or reliability. Grade A+ company all around.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've had very good service from my Western Digital WD1200JB (120GB ATA) as my primary (hda) drive. Somewhat surprisingly (in view of this thread), I've also had very good service from my seconday (hdb) drive - a Maxtor 6Y120L0 (also 120GB ATA). It's a little noisier than the WD, but, hey - I picked it up for $20.00 at a thrift shop!

Personally, I'd feel pretty comfortable going with WD or Seagate.
    "....I'm a user, not a programmer...."

Beans

i've had nightmare experiences with IBM; i sent them back two Deskstar drives that failed after 6 months of use and they were replaced but i never used the replacement drives. i think they launched a callback for that line of faulty drives later on.

i've had only good experiences with maxtor's d740x model, and i'd trust just about anything made by western digital.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans

A bigger question for me is what PCI SATA card to get. I have a 120 gig SATA drive sitting here (western digital for the record) that I would love to use, but I don't want to buy a card only to find out Ubuntu doesn't work with it.

The wiki gives no clues, but if I find one (an successfully invest in it) that part will be added!!!!

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/HardwareSupport

Edit: I do not mean to hijack thread. sorry.
    Last edited by poofyhairguy; April 13th, 2005 at 04:10 AM.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123