Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24250515253 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: NFS Server/Client

Beans

Re: HOWTO: NFS Server/Client

I am struggling with this ... I have an XP Pro SP3 OS running on a Lenovo Laptop ... this has VMplayer 4.0.2 running on it with UBUNTU 10.04.4 ... I have installed the NFS client 3.5 in XP PRO.

I can ping Ubuntu from XP and ping XP from Ubuntu ... when I go to Map Network Drive in XP and Browse, it shows the NFS Network ... drilling down into this I find the /etc share I set up ... it gets to the login and suggests I am logged in but when I go finish XP comes back and says this network path cannot be found ... I am thinking the above example is for mounting WINDOWS shares in UBUNTU ... I need to do this the other way round

Beans
    Hidden!

Where is the server? Is it on the VM Ubuntu or on another machine? If the former I can't see the point in trying to share directories this way unless you are just trying to make it work for the sake of it (I do that a lot!!). The usual practice of sharing under vmware should suffice. If the latter, can you setup the vm Ubuntu as an NFS client and access the server shares directly, or is the vm closed to your LAN?

Although it can be made to work, NFS on XP is a bit hit and miss and just not worth the effort when we have samba
    No longer participating......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by bxdobs View Post
    I am struggling with this ... I have an XP Pro SP3 OS running on a Lenovo Laptop ... this has VMplayer 4.0.2 running on it with UBUNTU 10.04.4 ... I have installed the NFS client 3.5 in XP PRO.

I can ping Ubuntu from XP and ping XP from Ubuntu ... when I go to Map Network Drive in XP and Browse, it shows the NFS Network ... drilling down into this I find the /etc share I set up ... it gets to the login and suggests I am logged in but when I go finish XP comes back and says this network path cannot be found ... I am thinking the above example is for mounting WINDOWS shares in UBUNTU ... I need to do this the other way round
    Take a look here: http://sagehacks.wordpress.com/2009/...der-windows-7/. Seems that you'll also have to install Client Services for NFS in order to get this to work.

Also, VMware has it's own share functionality that will allow you to share files between the virtual client (in your case Ubuntu) and the host (Windows). You may find this method to be easier than trying to set up NFS client in Windows.
    http://www.vmware.com/support/ws4/do...refold_ws.html
    Last edited by dmizer; April 21st, 2012 at 05:29 PM.

Beans

Red face Re: HOWTO: NFS Server/Client

how to get the mounted path of /etc/fstab after creating new ISO image with remastersys in ubuntu

I mouted a path in ubuntu client
    /etc/fstab i.e my.web.com:/usr/INVENTORY /usr/my/inventory nfs rw,auto 0 0
    but I am not able to find this path after creating new ISO image with remastersys.. , it is missing their when i install new iso image of ubuntu .

please anyone can help me on this..

Beans
    Hidden!

@ supriya swapnam

this is a remastersys question. I would guess that you are not getting the /etc/fstab you want into the new image. You'll need to figure out how to do this, so that it carries through to the new image. Easy if it was in the home folder, but not so with system folders?

Beans

Hello, I have some problem with my NFS server.
    I can't configure NFS with IPV6.
    Can you tell me how to solve it?
    Sorry my english is bad

Beans
    Hidden!

Do you definitely need IPV6 ? Does NFS work with IPV4 ?

Beans

Yes, jose. I really need it. I just want to compare it. I already done with IPV4, and i have some problem with IPV6.. I don't know how to configure it

Beans

I want to make a storage server with with nfs on ubuntu 11.10. Is this the correct guide for making a storage server??

Beans

Thank you for posting this! Worked perfectly for me, although I could not run

sudo /etc/init.d/nfs-common restart

But didn't have to, since the data was already shared!

Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24250515253 LastLast