Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: NFS Server/Client

Beans

Re: HOWTO: NFS Server/Client

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Catre-Vandis View Post
    @ xPretorianx

You haven't got another dhcp server running somewhere - e.g. on your router?

Have you tried netbooting a PC as opposed to a PS3, just to eliminate that variable?

Also, can you boot up a LIVE CD or similar on the PS3, and try a more straight forward NFS share scenario? Might give some pointers ? (Like the first page of this howto)

Try fixing all your IP addresses, it looks like you are using IP addresses throughout (as opposed to hostnames)

Review the versions of NFS running / expected, read back a couple of pages on this thread for some detail about this.
    I'll have to find another version of gentoo as this one is PPC because of the PS3. But I'll test it.

I'll try directly using a LIVECD as well.

Also I have tried mounting directly but I'm not sure if I have the command correct. Can someone tell me what the command is just for my system? Like give me an example like mount 192.168.1.2(my internal IP.) /mnt/experimental. Basically give me the command but with all my info. That way I can't screw it up. Like I said I'm a newbie, but I pick things up quickly.

Also I have DHCP disabled on my router, but I'm using my router's info for DHCP. Should I use my own subnet that I make up? Or through DNSMasq or something?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by xPreatorianx View Post
    I'll have to find another version of gentoo as this one is PPC because of the PS3. But I'll test it.

I'll try directly using a LIVECD as well.

Also I have tried mounting directly but I'm not sure if I have the command correct. Can someone tell me what the command is just for my system? Like give me an example like mount 192.168.1.2(my internal IP.) /mnt/experimental. Basically give me the command but with all my info. That way I can't screw it up. Like I said I'm a newbie, but I pick things up quickly.

Also I have DHCP disabled on my router, but I'm using my router's info for DHCP. Should I use my own subnet that I make up? Or through DNSMasq or something?
    See my post to NeilR (one page back) regarding syntax for server and client

If your routers dhcp is disabled, you should be OK, but it might be worth trying a different subnet as the machines could be looking for their address in the wrong place (can't verify this, maybe a guru can?)
    No longer participating......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,

I know it can be frustrating explaining things in detail what to many is simple.

Regretfully, I find my current problem is driving me nuts.

I bought a ReadyNAS Ultra - it is set up for CIFS and NFS. It works fine in XP.
    But I'm running 10.04 64 bit. I can access it, write to it etc through the browser interface without a problem.

I am not running a NFS server - only clients. 3 Ubuntu 10.04 boxes.

But my problems are:
    1. I have had it mount the shares in /mnt and in my /home/david folders depending on my fstab entry. Always, it is read only and as I'm using it as a file sharing device I need it read write when mounted through fstab.

2. I don't want to clutter up my desktop with folder icons so I would prefer to mount it in /mnt/ with read write permission. I would create links to each folder in /mnt in /home/david.

3. The NAS is best used in linux using NFS than CIFS. No argument with me there.

4. I have installed nfs-common and portman. I interpret the Howto as two parts: either a NFS Server or a NFS client. I assume my NAS is the server so I don't install software on it.

5. My credentials file exists and is correct (though I'm not using it in NFS).

6. I have noticed the NAS assigned UID for me is 1002 whereas in 10.04 my UID is 1000. I can't change it in the NAS.
    My fstab entry is:
    ## ReadyNAS Ultra 2
    192.168.0.7:/Finance /home/david/NAS_Finance nfs nfsvers=3,rsize=65536,wsize=65536,tcp,noatime,intr
    The bottom line - I can't get it to mount rw, only read only. It's been two weeks of reading and trying and I am now going round in circles. Is anybody able to help please?

David
    Last edited by dryder; May 14th, 2011 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Added 6. ....

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by dryder View Post
    Hi,

I know it can be frustrating explaining things in detail what to many is simple.

Regretfully, I find my current problem is driving me nuts.

I bought a ReadyNAS Ultra - it is set up for CIFS and NFS. It works fine in XP.
    But I'm running 10.04 64 bit. I can access it, write to it etc through the browser interface without a problem.

I am not running a NFS server - only clients. 3 Ubuntu 10.04 boxes.

But my problems are:
    1. I have had it mount the shares in /mnt and in my /home/david folders depending on my fstab entry. Always, it is read only and as I'm using it as a file sharing device I need it read write when mounted through fstab.

2. I don't want to clutter up my desktop with folder icons so I would prefer to mount it in /mnt/ with read write permission. I would create links to each folder in /mnt in /home/david.

3. The NAS is best used in linux using NFS than CIFS. No argument with me there.

4. I have installed nfs-common and portman. I interpret the Howto as two parts: either a NFS Server or a NFS client. I assume my NAS is the server so I don't install software on it.

5. My credentials file exists and is correct (though I'm not using it in NFS).

6. I have noticed the NAS assigned UID for me is 1002 whereas in 10.04 my UID is 1000. I can't change it in the NAS.
    My fstab entry is:

The bottom line - I can't get it to mount rw, only read only. It's been two weeks of reading and trying and I am now going round in circles. Is anybody able to help please?

David
    A couple of things you could try:

Create maybe two users, so that you have a user with the UID 1002 and try to connect as that user?

Try mounting somewhere other than your home directory on your client, e.g. /media/NAS_Finance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks Jose.

Beans

Why is the portmapper required on the client?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by prudy View Post
    Why is the portmapper required on the client?
    Simple answer: to make nfs work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mike3k View Post
    If you're connection to a Linux NFS server from Mac OS X, you need to specify 'insecure' in your exports and map the user IDs since Macs use uid 501 for the first regular user. For my /etc/exports I use:

/home 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(rw,async,insecure,all_squash,anonuid =1000,anongid=1000)
    For the record, this worked very well for me!

Beans

Problems with folder time/date stamps

I succeed in mounting my QNAP 412 folder with
    192.168.2.100:/folder /media/target_folder nfs defaults,user,auto,noatime 0 0

When I sync folders, I do not keep original date/time stamp of folders and subfolders that are copied from a PC to the QNAP.

Everytime I copy a folder to QNAP, folder/subfolder directory all acquire the exact same date/time stamp - the time they were copied over. The files themselves retain the original date/time stamp - but the folders still create a problem.

(I tried with CIFS, and got the same problem)

Any help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Post deleted by authour.
    Last edited by dryder; March 13th, 2012 at 09:55 AM.

Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 LastLast