Page 13 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: NFS Server/Client

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: NFS Server/Client

ok, again, I'll ask the same question, who is the owner of the folder where you are mounting the /home/A/Xfer folder on computer B? Where is the mount point, what does your computer B fstab file look like, and what are the permissions?????

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Caveat: Say "nnn" then go "oooo" for about five minutes, then say "b".

I found this guide very helpful and have been able to share folders on my laptop with my desktop computer and vice versa. Thank you.

I'm wondering...

Is it possible to share a folder on an ntfs disk via nfs? Both machines running Kubuntu Feisty? Or must I use samba?

Is it necessary for a folder to be somewhere in /home[/...] in order to share it?

Is it possible to share a symbolic link? I have a folder on my desktop that is actually just a link (in Windows we called them shortcuts) to the ntfs folder. Can I share that?

I have tried these things, but there is so much opportunity for missed slashes and misspellings. Thought I'd ask if these things were even possible before I spent more time on them.

Thanks in advance

Beans

Once a file system is mounted, it does not matter what type it is - you can share it with NFS.

You can NFS export any directory; it does not have to be in /home.

It doesn't make sense to share a symbolic link. A symbolic link is a file that has some special indirection properties. What are you trying to do here?

MrC

Beans
    Distro

Mr C

Thanks for the quick answer.

Not necessary to share the link. I was using it to try to get around the restriction (which does not exist!) that you can share only in /home[/...]

So I guess it's my spelling. will keep trying

Thanks again

Still banging my head.

I'm trying to share

/media/sda1/dirname

sda1 is a data disk from Windows days. It's 500GB of NTFS. A SATA drive, in case that matters.

I have given mode 777 to everything in the path, even though I have shared directories that do not have full 777 permissions.

I have tried to sudo mount -t ntfs and was told "special device not present"

When I try to mount without -t then it just says "permission denied". Using sudo.

I am able to share at will on the main GNU/Linux partition.

I guess I should try mounting as root. Every time I write PART TWO of this I think of something else to do. Sheesh. Well, I'll leave this up. If there is a reason I can't share /media/sda1 I would love to know before my brain goes soft. Ooops. Too late.

TIA
    Last edited by esekyavuz; June 10th, 2007 at 01:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro

So I kind of chickened out. After another hour or so it occurred to me that there is no reason to keep the disk in NTFS. My goal is to be Free by September.anyway so why spend more time on this?

I copied the files to a directory on another disk,used gparted to delete the ntfs partition and create an ext3 one., copied everything back, and the NFS shares I set up yesterday worked perfectly.

I'm hesitant to say that this is clear evidence that it was something Wiindowish that was the problem. It's possible that what I did reset a lot of stuff.

In case no one has mentioned it yet, in Kubuntu you can set up NFS shares in a GUI under Settings/Shared Folders. You specify which directory you want shared, which network you want to share it with ( NFS or Samba), and who gets access. In the case of NFS, this configures /etc/exports for you with (rw) privieges. You still have to

sudo exportfs -a

but after that it's ready to be mounted by the other machine(s).

Thanks again for the help and the great howto.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Talking Re: HOWTO: NFS Server/Client

Quote Originally Posted by mike3k View Post
    If you're connection to a Linux NFS server from Mac OS X, you need to specify 'insecure' in your exports and map the user IDs since Macs use uid 501 for the first regular user. For my /etc/exports I use:

/home 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(rw,async,insecure,all_squash,anonuid =1000,anongid=1000)
    Thanks! I was having a fit trying to get this to work with my mac. I used your exact options and it worked finally.

Beans

I am trying to allow my Yellow Dog Linux distro installed on my PS3 to mount my files on my Ubuntu PC. I followed the instructions, but am getting this error on my client machine (YDL on PS3)...
    "failed, reason given by server: Permission denied."

Any thoughts?

Beans

Browsing into Subdirectories Located on their own Partitions

The issue raised by jabb and george_apan is resolved in this post.
    Haim Roitgrund

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Browsing into Subdirectories Located on their own Partitions

the above link takes you to a blank page? Also, it's much easier to copy and paste for users unless of course it's to much for your copy and paste (clipboard limit?) or unless the page is more than just text.

Beans

What happens if I have a dynamic ip address ?

Say I have 2 laptops, I want one to share files to another via NFS.

Problem is that I have dynamic ip for both of them since they connect through a router.

So, if I write this:

/home/czar/tmp 192.168.1.1/24(rw,no_root_squash,async)

next time I will start my host laptop the ip for the host can be different, meaning I have to change it on the client.

Is there any other way to connect maybe via laptop name or MAC address or something ?

Page 13 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast