Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HOWTO: NFS Server/Client

Btw, I put this into my /etc/fstab

Code:
    # nfs variant
    192.168.2.10:/home/jens /home/jens/mnt/homedir nfs rw	0	0
    192.168.2.10:/home/samba/shares/public /home/jens/mnt/publicdir nfs rw  0    0
    Now all shares mount at the start-up and the ownership of all mounted directories is OK, only the group differs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by yens View Post
    This was exactly the point. On the server I just did
    Code:
    sudo chmod a+w -R /home/jens
    sudo chmod a+w -R /home/samba/shares/
    Now I mount the folders with write permission and anonuid/anongid is irrelevant.
    Actually when you mount, you change the permission as on the server and when you have rwxr--r-- you become naturally only read access.
    The problem now is that my home folder on the server is writable by everyone. I think the better solution here would be to give write access only to the public folder and to change the uid/gid on the client to match those on the server in respect to the home folder.
    So, finally I can migrate to NFS.
    Thank you Shane and thanks to everyone in this nice nfs thread.
    Well glad you got it sorted out. I'm still not sure I understand everything, but that is ok, if you got it working, and you understand that is all that matters.

Shane

Beans

I got a weird situation here:

server Hardy 8.04

exports config:

/mnt/fotos 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_ch eck)

From Lenny laptop I can mount and write to folder, but from Hardy laptops I can only mount and read files.

Gnome in Debian even creates links in Nautilus for nfs folders and if you click on them it will mount them. Gnome in Hardy wont do such thing.

Any toughts?

Thanks

EDIT: I know part of my problem is with users and their id, how do I fix this?
    Last edited by scrooge_74; September 24th, 2009 at 07:35 PM. Reason: have some clues what is wrong
    First they ignore you.Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you.Then you win.Gandhi
    Linux para las masas
    Resistance Is Futile. You Will Be Assimilated!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by scrooge_74 View Post
    I got a weird situation here:

server Hardy 8.04

exports config:

/mnt/fotos 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_ch eck)

Any toughts?

Thanks

EDIT: I know part of my problem is with users and their id, how do I fix this?
    Many ways:

Simplest one: chmod a+rwx /mnt/fotos Many problems with this one:

Just as simple, but better:

create a group for your fotos users and put the users accessing the /mnt/fotos in there and chmod g+rwx /mnt/fotos. If there are a lot of users that can access this mount the management could become a problem.

The third method would be file system ACLs, but that is a lot more difficult to maintain then a group.
    Regards,

Karlson

Beans

I decided since it is only two laptops and the same 3 users in them I just changed the uid of each of them to match the ones in the server and problem solved
    First they ignore you.Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you.Then you win.Gandhi
    Linux para las masas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This seems to be a long thread.
    I run into another issue and found a solution for it. I hope this could be helpful to someone with the same problem.
    I make weekly a rsync backup of my local mail evolution folders on the server.
    The samba version was:
    Code:
    rsync -avz --delete --progress /home/jens/.evolution/mail/local jens@192.168.2.10:/home/jens/mailbackup
    I've adapted this for nfs like this:
    Code:
    rsync -avz --delete --progress /home/jens/.evolution/mail/local /home/jens/mnt/personal/mailbackup
    This put me into trouble because when I run the command the computer hangs and the processor is on full power and the synchronization was very very long process. The solution was to change this to:
    Code:
    rsync -avz --delete --progress /home/jens/.evolution/mail/local 192.168.2.10:/home/jens/mailbackup
    As you see the difference is that the the last variant makes synchronization directly on the server and everything goes fine. The last variant requires also your user password on the server but this is not an issue for me, as I have my computer operational during the synchronization.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Smile Re: HOWTO: NFS Server/Client

Quote Originally Posted by malco2001 View Post
    Here are some quick examples of what you could add to your /etc/exports

For Full Read Write Permissions allowing any computer from 192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.255

• /files 192.168.1.0/24(rw,no_root_squash,async)

Or for Read Only from a single machine

• /files 192.168.1.2 (ro,async)

Thank you so much for this how-to. It works like a dream! However, could I ask that you edit the line "/files 192.168.1.2 (ro,async)" to remove the space between the IP address and the options list? When there is a space in that line of config, I get an error message saying that no options had been set.

It would also add clarity if the meaning of "async" and "sync" were made clear. I modified the line to "sync", and now whatever changes I make on either machine are reflected on the other one.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to write this - it's incredibly easy to follow, and works beautifully!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yens View Post
    This seems to be a long thread.
    I run into another issue and found a solution for it. I hope this could be helpful to someone with the same problem.
    I make weekly a rsync backup of my local mail evolution folders on the server.
    The samba version was:
    Code:
    rsync -avz --delete --progress /home/jens/.evolution/mail/local jens@192.168.2.10:/home/jens/mailbackup
    I've adapted this for nfs like this:
    Code:
    rsync -avz --delete --progress /home/jens/.evolution/mail/local /home/jens/mnt/personal/mailbackup
    This put me into trouble because when I run the command the computer hangs and the processor is on full power and the synchronization was very very long process. The solution was to change this to:
    Code:
    rsync -avz --delete --progress /home/jens/.evolution/mail/local 192.168.2.10:/home/jens/mailbackup
    As you see the difference is that the the last variant makes synchronization directly on the server and everything goes fine. The last variant requires also your user password on the server but this is not an issue for me, as I have my computer operational during the synchronization.
    Well, I just have a NFS mounted folder from my server, and then I just tell evolution to do a backup into that folder while I go watch tv
    Linux para las masas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by scrooge_74 View Post
    Well, I just have a NFS mounted folder from my server, and then I just tell evolution to do a backup into that folder while I go watch tv
    OK, this is also another possibility for Evolution backup.
    What I actually do for my backups:
    I have an executable file with 5 similar rsync lines for different directories, this line for evolution is just one of them.
    When you make this file to be executed regularly (e.g. via crontab, command line or desktop icon) you just get a nice automated solution to do all your synchronizations, resp. backups only with one action.

Beans

Yup I know but since this is a laptop and Im not sure if and when I will backup I just do it manually
    Linux para las masas

Page 32 of 53 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast