Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: NFS Server/Client

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: HOWTO: NFS Server/Client

I have changed over to Feisty since the last post. I ran a test with a 7 GB file and it transfered at a rate of 1 GB per minute. I'm not sure if this is good or bad but I didn't see the stalling as I did using KDE. Please advise.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Bump...bump!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by williammanda View Post
    Bump...bump!
    what would you like to know? i read your post as a comment and not a question.

The fact that your 7gigabBYTES file transferred in 7 minutes sounds low when you look at the raw numbers!

It's due to the PCI bus limitation and packet overhead. A 32bit wide PCI bus running at 33 Mhz, would give it a theoretical speed of about 130 MB/s. Now you would have to split that between the Ethernet Card and the Hard drive since you are transferring data, that would result in about 65MB/s or 3900MB/minute. You're saying your transfer went at 1gigaBYTE/s or 1024MB/minute (that's about 17MB/sec). That's double what I get thru Samba!

It's often troubleshooting network transfer speeds as there are so many variables. I have never used NFS but I do know it's way faster than Samba as I can only get around 8MB/s with samba.

So why did you bump your post? If you're wondering if your transfer speed is alright I would say YEAP, you are transferring files pretty fast. You'll never see 128MB/second

Beans
    Distro

Yes I was looking for an answer as to if the transfer rate was good or bad.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

NFS and the SimpleShare NAS

I'm posting this to save somebody the 90 minutes of cursing I just went through trying to figure this out. When mounting a SimpleShare drive with NFS, you have to ID the drive differently than you do for Samba.

For Samba, mounting my Photos Folder looked like this (from my fstab file):

Code:
    //mediaserver/Photos  /mnt/photos  smbfs guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,codepage=unicode,unicode 0 0
    However, to mount the same folder in NFS, it has to look like this.

Code:
    mediaserver:/shares/SimplePool/Photos/  /mnt/photos  nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr
    This assumes you have not screwed with the default disk pool set up. I have no idea why it needs that the fully qualified path, but it does. Not using it will get you permission denied errors.

Beans
    Distro

Re: NFS and the SimpleShare NAS

Quote Originally Posted by chrisod View Post
    I'm posting this to save somebody the 90 minutes of cursing I just went through trying to figure this out. When mounting a SimpleShare drive with NFS, you have to ID the drive differently than you do for Samba.

For Samba, mounting my Photos Folder looked like this (from my fstab file):

Code:
    //mediaserver/Photos  /mnt/photos  smbfs guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,codepage=unicode,unicode 0 0
    However, to mount the same folder in NFS, it has to look like this.

Code:
    mediaserver:/shares/SimplePool/Photos/  /mnt/photos  nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr
    This assumes you have not screwed with the default disk pool set up. I have no idea why it needs that the fully qualified path, but it does. Not using it will get you permission denied errors.

You could have saved yourself the 90 minutes and your bllod pressure level if you had read the guide more closely as it already stated that. From the very first page, if you want to add the mount to your fstab, the syntax should be: server.mydomain.com:/files /files nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr
    Which if I am not mistaken, is exaclty what you are telling us again. I guess thanks anyway for the other readers who don't follow the guide precisely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Lightbulb Re: HOWTO: NFS Server/Client

Hi:

I´m new and I now the last post here was a while ago, but I still wanted to follow a thread.

I´ve found this thread very helpfull... but i´m still stuck on something. I set up a freeNas box so I could share a common folder with several computers. After having great trouble ironing out permissions problems, I finally got full ownership and rw permissions.

However, until now, I can only manually mount the share. Although I have a "auto" option in my fstab, nothing happens until i issue the "mount /local/share/name" comand. ¿Is this supposed to be like this? ¿I though that putting mounting points in fstab (with the correct options: "auto"?) made the whole process automatic?
    I tried to fiddle with autofs but was not sucessfull. I´m not too concerned about server/client load just yet. If it was not for this detail, I would be great. I´m going to set up a login script and see how it goes, but I would really like my fstab to work.

Also, I have my mount point on the desktop. When I mount the share, another folder appears there with the same name and a "connected tube" personalized icon (with an "nfs" tag on it). Both folders work, in fact they point to the same place. I don´t get it? If I have to create a folder in the first place, why does it then go an make another one? Or is it because most of the time (generally) you mount under the /mnt directory, and nfs-common tools are being helpfull and putting an icon on the desktop?

My fstab setup looks like:

freenas:/mnt/sharename /home/Desktop/sharename nfs rw,auto,user,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,intr,soft,retry =5,timeout=20,port=2049

Thanks a lot for any help!!!

EDIT: I rather answered my own question and my mounts work properly. I rewrote fstab to:

freenas:/mnt/sharename /mnt/sharename nfs rw,auto,user,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,intr

And now it works like I was looking for. The user dosen´t have to dive into /mnt, but the share appears on the desktop ... so, that it.
    Last edited by xris_xcess; June 6th, 2007 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Solved Problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I did the export and mount read-write (rw) but I can still only read. If I try to write I get an error that says "read-only filesystem".

Beans
    Distro

and who is the owner of the folder you mounted your exported NFS share to? also, what are the permissions on that folder? those would be the last 2 things to check

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Here are more details... There are 2 computers (say A and B). Each 1 has a single user on it (but different from each other), i.e. computer A has user A and computer B has user B. I want to set up a world-writable directory (called "Xfer") under user A's home directory (on computer A) so that user B, working on computer B, can copy documents to computer A for user A to work on.

I created the /home/A/Xfer directory, on computer A, owned by user A, with "777" permission (i.e. world-writable). I set up a read-write (rw) /etc/exports line on computer A for that directory and a mount point and read-write (rw) /etc/fstab line on computer B to access it.

On computer B, the mount suceeds and I can read files in /home/A/Xfer, but I can't write or create files there. If I try (e.g. using the "touch" command), I get a "read-only filesystem" error.
    Last edited by Lary Grant; June 8th, 2007 at 05:02 PM. Reason: typo

Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast