Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: CPU Frequency Scaling w/ Kernel Module

Beans

Re: HOWTO: CPU Frequency Scaling w/ Kernel Module

great tuto!! work perfectly to me , i have a notebook with a sempron 3500+, i used powernow-k8 .

Grettings
    insulae
    Juan Matias Granda
    http://www.insulae.com.ar
    GPG FINGERPRINT:459C 4A2D 330C CB8C 0C44 0C3A 572C CBCA 5457 508B

Beans

The cpu frequency scaling worked perfectly well on my Sempron 3400+ until I chose to change it to Sempron LE-1250 (which I thought would be nice since it has lower power consumption).

I assumed all I needed to do was to plug the new processor and be done with it. As it turned out, I also needed to upgrade my BIOS to the latest version so that my ASUS m2npv-vm would recognize the chip.

I made dead sure that Cool’n’quiet was enabled (I believe the BIOS setting is AUTO) and started business as usual.

Except that now I get:

$ sudo modprobe powernow-k8 ;dmesg | tail -n 4
    FATAL: Error inserting powernow_k8 (/lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/kernel/arch/x86_64/kernel/cpufreq/powernow-k8.ko): No such device
    [573997.121020] powernow-k8: Processor cpuid 70ff2 not supported
    [574447.405193] powernow-k8: Processor cpuid 70ff2 not supported
    [574937.680962] powernow-k8: Processor cpuid 70ff2 not supported
    [575873.371938] powernow-k8: Processor cpuid 70ff2 not supported

Does that mean that powernow-k8 does not like my new processor? I know for a fact that it does have Cool’n’quiet and for all intents and purposes it is quite similar to the Sempron 3400+ (baring manufacturing technology, some cache size changes, modified voltages and frequencies)

What do I need to update so that powernow-k8 will recognize my Sempron LE-1250.

P.S. I’d like to avoid upgrading from 7.04 to 7.10 if possible; I have applications compiled on the old kernel.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi,

I've tried a few different methods at getting this to work: I have a 1.6GHz Pentium-M (unsure of core) (Toshiba Portege A200).

I get the following messages when trying to get speedstep-centrino or acpi-cpufreq etc. loaded:

Code:
    FATAL: Error inserting speedstep_centrino (/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/speedstep-centrino.ko): No such device
    Code:
    FATAL: Error inserting acpi_cpufreq (/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko): No neric/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko): No such device
    I'm also getting error messages just after login telling me that frequency scaling is not supported. The frequency also seems to be locked at 598MHz.

/proc/cpuinfo:

Code:
    processor	: 0
    vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
    cpu family	: 6
    model		: 13
    model name	: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz
    stepping	: 6
    cpu MHz		: 598.524
    cache size	: 2048 KB
    fdiv_bug	: no
    hlt_bug		: no
    f00f_bug	: no
    coma_bug	: no
    fpu		: yes
    fpu_exception	: yes
    cpuid level	: 2
    wp		: yes
    flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe up est tm2
    bogomips	: 1198.18
    clflush size	: 64
    Some searching revealed that particular Pentium-M processors didn't have frequency scaling support in the Linux kernel (not sure if this was a particular kernel version or a running issue), and require you to compile support in. Other possibilities that I stumbled across are issues in the Toshiba BIOS, there is a patch to solve this very issue, but it's aimed specifically at M100/M200 Porteges and certain Tecra laptops. It's likely that I'll update the BIOS regardless, and the patch doesn't include any warnings of the "Will rain fire and brimstone" ilk.

Has this been a common issue for anyone else?
    Last edited by brodiepearce; March 13th, 2008 at 03:07 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by brodiepearce View Post

Some searching revealed that particular Pentium-M processors didn't have frequency scaling support in the Linux kernel (not sure if this was a particular kernel version or a running issue), and require you to compile support in. Other possibilities that I stumbled across are issues in the Toshiba BIOS, there is a patch to solve this very issue, but it's aimed specifically at M100/M200 Porteges and certain Tecra laptops. It's likely that I'll update the BIOS regardless, and the patch doesn't include any warnings of the "Will rain fire and brimstone" ilk.

Has this been a common issue for anyone else?
    I was in exactly the same pickle as you brodiepearce, with the same hardware and all.

A whole day of frustration mucking around with acpi-cpufreq and speedstep-centrino, updating the BIOS and all amounted to nothing. I had scaling working between 75MHz and 600Mhz using p4_clockmod (well below the 1.6GHz range), but this wasn't the solution. I thought I had tried everything.

As you mentioned, apparently it is a common issue with the Toshibas to get locked at low frequencies. This usually happens after changing processor or doing a BIOS update, stopping your speedstep and frequency tables from working, thus stopping you from using the maximum range of frequency scaling.

See http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/to...TOPIC_ID=14562 (edit: the previous link no longer works, but this one does http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/archive/...?t-31-p-2.html) It describes a patch to the BIOS to detect the processor and speedstepping correctly. I can confirm this solution works with the Toshiba Portege A200, and may work with other Toshibas having the same problem. As always with anything that touches the BIOS, proceed at your own risk.
    Last edited by regme; October 25th, 2008 at 04:20 PM.

Beans

I have been chasing this problem for weeks. my portege A200 is locked at 599 and I have so far tried everything I can find on the internet. Toshiba were less than helpful." never heard of this problem" But I have found numerous people out there with this exact same problem. Tried to access the website you mentioned but not there.Would appreciate any further referance. thanks . rmt

Beans

Thanks to regme. This fixed my problem. Toshiba still tell me they have not heard of this problem.rmt

Beans

Lightbulb Re: HOWTO: CPU Frequency Scaling w/ Kernel Module

Just for the information that I have a ThinkPad T60 with Core2Duo (with 2 cores) Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5600 @ 1.83GHz.
    And I needed to use "sudo modprobe acpi-cpufreq", as speedstep-centrino didn't work. I guess Core Duo and Core 2 Duo are that different.

My Ubuntu kernel is 2.6.27-10-generic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

This is an excellent guide! My laptop used to run hot once i plugged it in to the AC adapter. Now if im only playing music and doing light web-browsing, it remains luke-warm no matter what; only gets hot when playing games. Looking forward to see how this affects my battery.

^^^ Oh and yea what the guy above me said. I had to use acpi-cpufreq for my Core 2 Duo ^^^

EDIT:
    After rebooting, the frequency scaler says it is activated, but its not changing my cpu frequency anymore. I have an applet on my panel that tells me the state of my cpu. It used to change to reflect how demanding my programs were, but now it just stays at 2.53GHz even after doing "echo conservative > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    "

"cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor" says that my cpu frequency should be scaled but its not. Please help.
    Last edited by blakjesus; December 11th, 2008 at 09:34 AM.

Beans

Hi guys! I've never been so lucky to enable cpu frequency scaling, but today i decided to try one more time. My CPU is Athlon X2 3600+ and Asrock Alive NF6G motherboard. My problem is that i can't load the powernow-k8 module

sudo modprobe powernow-k8
    FATAL: Error inserting powernow_k8 (/lib/modules/2.6.27-9-generic/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/powernow-k8.ko): No such device
    I precompiled my kernel - same thing. The bios is fine - C&Q is enabled and Asrock's 12% blabla booster is disabled. Actually in "/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0" there is no cpufreq folder at all. I will be very happy if somebody help me to diagnose the problem and maybe fixing it. Thanks!

Ubuntu 8.10

Edit:

This is the output of dmesg
    dmesg | grep powernow
    [ 17.351669] powernow-k8: Found 1 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+ processors (2 cpu cores) (version 2.20.00)
    [ 17.352218] powernow-k8: ACPI Processor support is required for SMP systems but is absent. Please load the ACPI Processor module before starting this driver.
    [ 17.352480] powernow-k8: ACPI Processor support is required for SMP systems but is absent. Please load the ACPI Processor module before starting this driver.
    But ACPI-freq doesn't want to modprobe either
    FATAL: Error inserting acpi_cpufreq (/lib/modules/2.6.27-9-generic/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko): No such device
    I tried to load powernow-k7 on my other pc with s.A Athlon processor and the result is the same. The Ubuntu installation is fresh.
    Last edited by wolfshark; December 13th, 2008 at 03:00 PM.

Beans

The problem lies with Ubuntu's kernel or some config file that I can't find - see this thread. My X3360 machine is stuck in 'full speed' running Intrepid-amd64. If I boot into Debian/Lenny, CPU scaling works just fine.

I think the cause of the problem is the fact that I can't modprobe acpi-cpufreq under Ubuntu. See the post I linked above.

Code:
    $ sudo modprobe acpi-cpufreq
    FATAL: Error inserting acpi_cpufreq (/lib/modules/2.6.27-9-generic/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko): No such device
    EDIT - I figured this out... see my post here for the details.
    Last edited by graysky; December 13th, 2008 at 11:00 PM.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast