Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I compile a kernel (Linux Newb)

Beans

How do I compile a kernel (Linux Newb)

Hi, I am fairly new to Linux and I love Ubuntu. I want to recompile my kernel to get my system running faster, but I have no idea where to begin. Can someone please write out some directions for me? Thanks.

Dell Latitude Cpx H 500 mhz PIII (non-speedstep)
    448 MB PC 100 RAM
    30 GB HDD
    ATI Mobility 8 MB AGP 2x
    ESS Maestro 2E

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How do I compile a kernel (Linux Newb)

Open a terminal.

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-source-2.6 libncurses5-dev kernel-package

cd /usr/src
    tar xvjf linux-source*
    cd linux-source
    cp /boot/config-2.6.10.5-386 .config
    sudo make menuconfig

cofigure the heck out of your kernel

sudo make-kpkg --revision-1 --append-to-version=mykerne1 kernel_image kernel_headers

cd ..
    sudo dpkg -i linux-image-2.6.10*.deb

Seriously, this probably will not make your system go any faster.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by SolidStClair
    I want to recompile my kernel to get my system running faster,
    That is quite a misconception.... I have a i386 and athlon-k7 optimized kernel on my system, and am using an AMD64. I cannot measure or feel any difference in speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    That is quite a misconception.... I have a i386 and athlon-k7 optimized kernel on my system, and am using an AMD64. I cannot measure or feel any difference in speed.
    I agree. Compile if you want specific functionality that you can't get by default. Don't let the Gentoo folks fool you into thinking you need to compile anything to gain speed

Beans

Down with Gentoo! Heretics and insulters of our great Ubuntu Nation!

Beans
    Hidden!

Alrighty.

*Ahem*.

I think Ubuntu attracts many people. Possibly many people tried linux years ago when it was recommended to recompile a kernel after you install. This is no longer the case.

The message to these people is:

1- Welcome back.

2- Stock distribution kernels are pretty much all you will ever need to use. You will not have to recompile your kernel. And also, you can compile kernel modules (drivers) without having to recompile the kernel. Look at the linux-headers package.

------------
    On another note, Gentoo rocks, too. Just differently....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by CRCampbell
    Down with Gentoo! Heretics and insulters of our great Ubuntu Nation!
    Ok... that's a bit too strong....

The problem is that you take quite a large responsibility into your own hand... Every vendor has a team of kernel experts tracking the latest patches flying around lkml for security fixes, stability patches, and bugfixes, which are often not going to be released officially for a relatively long time.

You are best off leaving the job of kernel management to experts. The Ubuntu kernel comes in 386,686, and k7(Athlon) flavors, which should be optimized enough for any purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by azz
    Alrighty.

*Ahem*.

I think Ubuntu attracts many people. Possibly many people tried linux years ago when it was recommended to recompile a kernel after you install. This is no longer the case.

The message to these people is:

1- Welcome back.

2- Stock distribution kernels are pretty much all you will ever need to use. You will not have to recompile your kernel. And also, you can compile kernel modules (drivers) without having to recompile the kernel. Look at the linux-headers package.

------------
    On another note, Gentoo rocks, too. Just differently....
    WRT point 2. I'm trying to get the 'Zoran' video driver installed. I'm trying rebuild the entire kernel.
    what do I need to do to just build the Zoran module?

Beans

Here's a link to a kernel how-to:
    http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/K...ild-HOWTO.html

I build my own kernel and I don't think that's a bad idea. It's configured to my system and everything works in the best way possible. The only thing you really need is a little curiosity and knowledge of what hardware you have on your system.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by fsman
    WRT point 2. I'm trying to get the 'Zoran' video driver installed. I'm trying rebuild the entire kernel.
    what do I need to do to just build the Zoran module?

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-2.6.10-5-386 (if that is the kernel you are using)

Untar the driver source
    tar xvzf XXXXX.tar.gx
    cd XXXXXX

then read the readme. If there is a debian directory there, try
    sudo debian/rules binary

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast