Thread: SimCity 3000 UK Edition through Wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

SimCity 3000 UK Edition through Wine

I've recently gained hopes of playing SimCity 3000 UK Edition (one of my top 10 all time favourites) but a certain entry in the Wine Application DB has bought my hopes down somewhat as it appears to use Safedisc (which doesn't work in Wine) and requires a no-CD patch (which may not exist, but I can likely find it myself if it does).

Has anyone got experience of getting this specific version of SimCity 3000 working under Wine, or am I going to have to wait until Safedisc works? I could of course get the Linux version, but I don't want to buy the same game twice, and it's not as if a purchase would help Loki Games now.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Re: SimCity 3000 UK Edition through Wine

No, but the purchase would help Tuxgames or whoever you bought it from. What's different about the UK version?

Leech
    Wah! Wah! Life was more entertaining when I had 64KB of RAM in my computer.
    Neverwinter Nights Platinum HowTo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by leech View Post
    No, but the purchase would help Tuxgames or whoever you bought it from. What's different about the UK version?
    Nothing much, just a few extra UK landmarks. I just feel that it's stupid that I need to buy the same game twice just because the original has copy prevention software on it. I mean, I'm not even trying to copy it! I just want to play the stupid thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

I usually look at it this way. There are different publishers for the Windows and Linux version. Much like if you were to buy a classic book in English, then later want the Spanish version as well.

Leech
    Wah! Wah! Life was more entertaining when I had 64KB of RAM in my computer.
    Neverwinter Nights Platinum HowTo

Beans

Message me if you need help with this still (although it was 2 years ago you needed help!)