Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Put a linux os on a Palm TX

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Put a linux os on a Palm TX

Hello i have a palm tx and i love it but i would like it if i could somehow put a linux os on it BUT
    1. i would like it if i could do a hard reset at any time and i would have my palm os back on it
    2. i would still like to play mpeg's mp3's ogg's jpg and gif write spread sheets etc
    If this would be possible i think it would be great
    This is the dumbest error I found in bios
    "Error Keyboard Failure Press F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup
    Amd Athlon 64 2800+, 1gb Ram, ATI Radeon HD3650 512mb, Western digital 160gb Segate 80gb, Gigabyte GaK8NS ,Cameron

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Put a linux os on a Palm TX

I'm not aware of any effort to port Linux onto the Palm TX.

Beans

http://www.hackndev.com/

Mind you PalmOS in the future will run on top of Linux, with nice GTK+ stuff too.
    A Fedora user

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

I saw it working, in one of those Linux user groups mettings there was a guy with a Palm TX running Debian on it, was perfectly great looking but the problem was the lack of a driver for the wireless thingy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Ok that looks great but does that save on the internal memory and if you do a hard reset do you get tothe original palm tx ? and do u still get blue tooth wifi and infra red
    Amd Athlon 64 2800+, 1gb Ram, ATI Radeon HD3650 512mb, Western digital 160gb Segate 80gb, Gigabyte GaK8NS ,Cameron

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Nope, It was stored on the SD Card, he had to do something with the bootloader though, and yeah, it was something like a dual-boot between linux and palm os.
    His blog is down at the moment, but he had a post about it, whenever it comes up again I'll find it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

ok im going to buy a 2gb sd card and then ill post back on this thread for help on how to get it set up so make sure you check your posts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

OMG! I have a Palm T|X and I'd love to be able to run Linux on it. If someone has some info or a tutorial, please post it here. I'm subscribing to this thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Talking Re: Put a linux os on a Palm TX

Cheerydayz...

Beans

Talking Re: Put a linux os on a Palm TX

Hi, I have a Palm TX and I use linux on it!

Its a lot better than Palm OS, but it is still beta
    If you want to test, go to hackndev.com and download the miska´s last build for TX.
    I work greats but there is no suport to wifi ou bluetooth, but you can connect using usb to upload packages(yes it have a package manager)

there is a version in handheld.org that may work after you do the right config (I spend some days to have a half stable system) and the Angstrom-distribution.org version in wich the hackndev kernel is based, the packages from diferent sites wont work as should in wrong version.

I have installed gcc and g++, it gives a good help on college, and the performance is good, it also have a shellscript lib for graphic windows on bash scripts

Oh, depending on the interface you install you will use the x-server, i prefer opie, it´s a bit faster, have it´s own "x-server", its realy cool to minimize aplication to the taskbar and drag windows, something you cant imagine on palm os, serch for Opie you may find some videos

for those who are afraid to lost palm os:
    the suport for recording the system on the pda rom have only some days, and none I heard about is brave enogth to test.
    you can install a bootloader in you palm and switch between linux and palm on a reset (wont lose data)
    or you can just install a bootloader in palm os, so you boot linux after loading palm os, you wont even touch the internal memory, just use card

but if you try linux on TX, there is an important warning i discovered the worst way

DO NOT USE THE REBOOT ON PANEL!!!
    you will have to wait the baterry end to turn it on again lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast