View Poll Results: Is Ubuntu/Gnome user friendly enough?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

64 71.11%
  • No

19 21.11%
  • Unsure

7 7.78%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is Ubuntu/Gnome user friendly enough?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Is Ubuntu/Gnome user friendly enough?

It's what converted me, so I'd say yes. It is. It's not overwhelming a la KDE (I am NOT knocking KDE, just pointing out that for a new Linux user it offers a LOT of stuff all at once), nor so sparse they'll feel like they don't have anything at their fingertips like Flux or whatever.

I 100% believe Ubuntu to be easy enough for any competent computer user to use, and at the same time I don't think any distro should try and be "idiot proof" entirely.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Even though my order of preference right now is IceWM > Gnome > KDE, I really don't understand how people think KDE is overwhelming or complicated. If anything is overwhelming and complicated, it's the configuration options for Compiz! And yet I hear oft-repeated in these forums that KDE is complicated; rarely does anyone complain about Compiz being complicated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aysiu; February 27th, 2008 at 11:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    rarely does anyone complain about Compiz being complicated.
    Then let me do it: I do complain about Compiz being too complicated and that's because the same lack of design KDE suffers from. There are too many options because there's not enough leadership to take that effort from the user or, what's worse, because the leaders believe every option is equally useful.

However, Compiz is relatively young and I can expect it'll make design decisions as it grows older and less geek oriented. That can't be said about KDE.

EDIT: I understand you're talking about the advanced setup. Basic Compiz is as easy as could be.
    Last edited by sicofante; February 23rd, 2008 at 01:07 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234