View Poll Results: Is Ubuntu/Gnome user friendly enough?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

64 71.11%
  • No

19 21.11%
  • Unsure

7 7.78%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Ubuntu/Gnome user friendly enough?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Is Ubuntu/Gnome user friendly enough?

Since that's what the avrage user always complains about, the desktop environment not being simple enough.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Is Ubuntu/Gnome user friendly enough?

Rarely have I seen an average user complaining about Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

no.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Part of me thinks that it's too user-friendly. As the last xserver crisis demonstrated. a lot of users are sticking to the desktop environment and not bothering to learn how to use the CLI.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think it is...but everyone has their own learning curve with it...

Beans

I voted Unsure because I think it depends on the users needs. Certain things are very easy, others are not so much and may require resorting to the command line.

Beans

It is userfriendly enough. GNOME can fully compete with Windows XP, KDE has too many options but is also easy to learn.
    simplicity is perfection

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

For new users to install and set up from scratch? No, but neither is Windows. (Difference is, of course, most users don't have to bother setting up Windows, since it's already there with their computer, and even restores are done with a "restore disk" that sets everything back up as it should be.)

For any user to use a properly set up system? Yep.

I also think it is too user-friendly, for me at least - but that's why I'm using Fluxbox.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I think it's getting there, it's getting really close. But there are still a couple of things that the average user would not be able to do after getting Ubuntu and installing it themselves. There are probably many things that they wouldn't be able to do on windows, but the issue there is that most windows boxes come pre-installed and pre-configured, so the user doesn't really have to do anything after he picks up his new PC or laptop. Ubuntu unfortunately doesn't have that leverage, at least not yet.

One of the things that your average user wouldn't be able to do after installing ubuntu is configuring his Xorg settings. This is quite a pain sometimes, even for an experienced user. This is definitely something that the devs need to attend to for Edgy +1, which is going to be competing with Vista. Another thing that is still not polished is wireless configuration with WPA out of the box - it still takes some power-user tweaking. So does connecting to VPN's.

One other thing that's really important is syncing mobile devices with Ubuntu. Mobile devices are key to the future of any OS since they are truly becoming ubiquitous and they need to work seamlessly with other devices that we have. Right now it is virtually impossible to sync your mobile contacts, calendar, etc with Ubuntu. One thing that is quite easy though is using bluetooth to send and receive files. I just installed gnome-bluetooth and then run "Bluetooth File Sharing" from the Accessories menu and voila, I was able to send and receive files to my cell phone.

So overall, i'd have to say no. It has come a phenomenally long way, but there is more to go and that's great because if there wasn't, we'd have nothing to look forward to
    Last edited by saracen; August 31st, 2006 at 06:28 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast