Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HOWTO suspend/hibernate with compiz and aiglx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: HOWTO suspend/hibernate with compiz and aiglx

I can't get my Pavilion to suspend but hibernate works fine. When I wake it up I can hear it start spinning again but the wifi light never blinks back on and I get nothing on screen, it doesn't even turn back on. Any ideas? I've tried all 3 script pairs in the thread so far.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jonlatane View Post

Now do
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/acpi/suspend.d/99-terminal-change.sh
    In the file put:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    /usr/bin/chvt 13
    What this will do is switch you to a separate virtual terminal in text mode. You don't need to put anything in resume.d, since it will resume back in the terminal that started the suspend (terminal 7).

Normally, this would interfere with the standard terminals you get by doing Ctrl-Alt-F1, however since you don't have an F13, this terminal is (basically) unimportant!

I'm not sure if this is some kind of horrible security thing or not, I'm far from a Linux or X guru. But this does work for me.
    Works like a charm!
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Beryl seems to work rather fine (for me) after waking from suspend without any additional configuration or scripts. The only problem is that the window decorator makes all window border garbled and needs to be restarted on wake. I can do this from the commandline with the command
    Code:
    emerald --replace
    but placing the command in a script to be executed in /etc/acpi/resume.d/ does not seem to have any effect.
    My script is simply this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    emerald --replace
    I can run it manually fine using the command /etc/acpi/resume.d/99-emerald-restart.sh which works like it should, but it does not seem to be executed on wake.

peace,
    Stian

Beans

I managed to make suspend/hibernate work on my DELL inspiron 9400 without scripts doing this

NOTE: I'm using feisty with beryl installed from the beryl repos, all the other setting are the default ones (I never manually edit xorg.conf or acpi-support and beryl setting were are the default ones) and suspend/hibernate was working out of the box without beryl.

- Disable "Sync To VBlank" in beryl.
    It is located on general options of the veryl manager. Just unckeck it.

- Update your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add an "Option "NvAGP" "1" line in the "Section "Device":
    (must look like this)
    Section "Device"
    Option "NvAGP" "1"
    EndSection

- Disable warm-booting the video hardware on resume by editing your /etc/default/acpi-support as follows :
    # Should we attempt to warm-boot the video hardware on resume?
    POST_VIDEO=false

Good luck!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hey thanks!

That worked for me too! I'd already disabled warm-booting to get Metacity to work, and had tried the other two in various combinations for Compiz, but apparently not both together yet.

For the record, I have a desktop with an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard and a Nvidia 7600 GT video card. Use this command to disable "Sync To VBlank" in Compiz:

gconftool -s /apps/compiz/general/screen0/options/sync_to_vblank -t boolean false

Beans

Thx a lot. the chage in gconf worked.

Beans

Angry Re: HOWTO suspend/hibernate with compiz and aiglx

My problem is that the script is ok if i exec manual but when i press start button to resume system i return in gnome but beryl-manager is not running because /etc/acpi/resume.sh is not start

Where is the script to call resume.sh when i press start button?

Thank You

glady

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kavjik View Post
    Thx a lot. the chage in gconf worked.
    thanks! disabling sync to vblank worked for me too.

-dell xps m1210

I don't know why, but I did not have to make any changes to Compiz settings. My suspend was not working fine earlier. It used to come back up when I opened my laptop, but the display would simply be blank and even if it did resume once in a while, Compiz was dead slow then and I had to actually kill Compiz and re-fire it anyway. So here's what I did:

I wrote a script that simply reads as follows:

#!/bin/bash
    # This is a small script that will just kill compiz before suspend

COMPIZ_PID=`ps -eaf | grep compiz.real | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'`
    kill -9 $COMPIZ_PID

# That's all

I saved this program in /etc/acpi/suspend.d/25-compiz-stop.sh and that's all. I didn't even have to write a script to restart Compiz upon resume. I wanted to test if Compiz was successfully killed or not. But when I resumed, it just worked perfectly. I think one of the scripts there must be doing that already. Anyway, try this out.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234