Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO suspend/hibernate with compiz and aiglx

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Re: HOWTO suspend/hibernate with compiz and aiglx

Quote Originally Posted by caillou View Post
    ok... i think i see where the problem is:

the script jost gave works with kde only but most of the people here most likely run gnome.

what the resume script does in the following line

[...]

let me know if that works for you...
    This works for me ... but only one time ! After a first suspend/resume with AIGLX/Beryl where all went fine, I can't suspend anymore with any window manager. Network is disconnecting, that means that at least some of the suspend scripts works OK ... now I'm looking for any clues ...

thanks,
    Mathieu

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

I still can not resume kubuntu with AIGLX and beryl. Any idea what to check?

Edit: even if I "kwin --replace, pkill emerald, pkill beryl" before suspending I don't get a working resume... :\
    Last edited by viz_e; December 14th, 2006 at 10:29 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Here's a different set of scripts I've been using. These will handle multiple running beryl-manager sessions and will also only restart beryl on resume if it stopped it on suspend. Instead of killing/starting the processes outright, it uses the USR2 signal that causes beryl-manager to toggle window managers.

#!/bin/bash
    # /etc/acpi/suspend.d/25-beryl-suspend.sh

pids=""
    for pid in `pidof /usr/bin/beryl-manager`
    do
    ps -o comm= --ppid $pid | grep -q '^beryl$'
    if (($? == 0)); then
    pids="$pid $pids"
    kill -USR2 $pid
    fi
    done
    export BERYLMGRPIDS="$pids"
    #!/bin/bash
    # /etc/acpi/resume.d/99-beryl-resume.sh

for pid in $BERYLMGRPIDS
    do
    (sleep 10 && kill -USR2 $pid)&
    done

Beans

How do you link these scripts so that they are launched when clicking on the shutdown menu in GNOME where you can logout, hibernate, suspend, shutdown, restart etc???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

You don't have to link them, when you place the script in the /etc/acpi/suspend.d/ or /etc/acpi/resume.d/ directories the scripts should be executed at suspend or resume respectively...
    All you have to do is to save the scripts in the right directory...

Beans

Oh OK! Thanks Jopsen.

Beans

The scripts work find with suspend but don't with hibernate. I get a message "failed to activate device" and something after that I don't have time to read. Is this related to the scripts or is this another problem?

Beans

Any idea?

Beans

I'm using Beryl/AIGLX on a Thinkpad T43 (Radeon Mobility X300, open-source drivers). None of the solutions worked for me. Since the T43 is a standard at UNC (my school), lots of us CS majors have had problems with this. However, I believe I just came up with a solution, and it's much simpler than anything else out there. In fact, nothing interacts with Beryl. I have this working on Edgy, by the way.

First, make sure you remove any of the files you put in your suspend.d and resume.d directories from other people's suggestions. Or just chmod -x all of them.

Now do
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/acpi/suspend.d/99-terminal-change.sh
    In the file put:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    /usr/bin/chvt 13
    What this will do is switch you to a separate virtual terminal in text mode. You don't need to put anything in resume.d, since it will resume back in the terminal that started the suspend (terminal 7).

Normally, this would interfere with the standard terminals you get by doing Ctrl-Alt-F1, however since you don't have an F13, this terminal is (basically) unimportant!

I'm not sure if this is some kind of horrible security thing or not, I'm far from a Linux or X guru. But this does work for me.

Beans

Works for me too In fact it works with less jerks than the other solution! You're a genius! Thanks

However I still get the same error when doing hibernate but this is certainly related to another problem ("failed to activate device...").

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast