Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: matlab / scilab / octave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: matlab / scilab / octave

I have used Matlab, Scilab and Octave extensively. Octave is almost identical to the core Matlab, however, there are a few small differences. One of the main differences is the "plot" command and related commands to save figures etc. Matlab has its own plotting functions but Octave uses Gnuplot. I find Gnuplot a little awkward to use.

The Syntax of Scilab is a little different to Matlab and Octave but it doesn't take long to learn. Also, I have found Scilab to be a bit more polished than Octave and I like the syntax now that I have gotten used to it.

In summary, all 3 programs are very good but overall Scilab is my favorite.

BTW, the version of Scilab in the repos seems to use Tamil fonts by default so I compiled the latest version from source. If you choose to compile from source you will need to install a few *-dev packages from Synaptic (./configure will complain each time it can't find something).

Paul

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Hi,

I have been working a lot with GNU/Octave recently. I find it is quite compatible with matlab. Sometimes I write an if statement in the (for matlab) incorrect syntax, and I find it very annoying that i++; doesn't work in Matlab but other than that it is fine.
    I am also in the process of learning a bit more about GNUplot. I think it can really create some beautiful output, when you know all the options at least (and let it output to ps or eps).
    Now I just have to master LaTeX and I will be set for a completely open source master thesis...

I've also seen that in edgy octave 2.9 is in the repos. Does anyone know the differences with the 2.1 branch?

Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Hello,

I see all this talk about matlab/octave/scilab.

I have used them all before, and they are not bad.

But you should really have a look at python, and its modules pylab and scipy.

Its for free, and, in my opinion, much more powerful than Octave.

Cheers,
    Punchy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by punchy View Post
    Hello,

I see all this talk about matlab/octave/scilab.

I have used them all before, and they are not bad.

But you should really have a look at python, and its modules pylab and scipy.

Its for free, and, in my opinion, much more powerful than Octave.

Cheers,
    Punchy
    Hm, I have never been introduced to that. Can you do everything with it in a 'fairly' straightforward way, as in Octave? Is it a steep learning curve? Would you happen to know some good (introductory) tutorials?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Octave is the closest to Matlab ,you can write script for one and use in the other , unfortunately matlab is much faster

Beans

* If someone (for example a teacher) requires matlab code. Can I produce code using octave/scilab which will fully work (guaranteed) on matlab ?

NO not all the octave codes will run on MATLAB, its library is big and many functions are different

* Is it easy/feasible to work together on code with people who might insist on using matlab (when I use scilab/octave) ?

Most of the matlab files can run on octave but its not always true in reverse. Matlab is a buisness and Octave a open source.

* Is there some tutorial for working together with matlab ?
    you may be able to find some material on mathworks or www.kluid.com but not much.

Note: If you know some one who is a student you can buy a student version of matlab for around 100$ ... it can do most of the common tasks.

Rebbo

Beans

I have used matlab for 7 years in windows. I tried octave the last 2 months and gave up.

From my experience, matlab and octave are 95% compatible. Basic functions are okay. But matlab toolbox functions don't work in Octave. Even some basic functions are not the same. No wonder the same program gave me different results. After realizing this which took roughly 1 month, I stopped using Octave. I installed matlab in Ubuntu 6.0.6 (search it, it was really easy) and now I'm a happy camper.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Pardon my hasty and mindless contribution to this thread, but I've only been using Octave for a short period of time and it *@*#&$* rules. I haven't tried Scilab.

Beans

I use Matlab - but my research grant pays for it 8)

If I were a student, I'd defintely invest in the student edition - it's cheap and the mathworks support is excellent.

For tutorials, I'd look to: http://www.ma.man.ac.uk/~higham/mg/
    Specs... - Laptop: Fujitsu-Siemens S7020 - Desktop: F-S Celsius R - 2 x dual core 3.4GHz XEON

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

so i use matlab and i have octave installed on my computer. i'd love to see the world go octave...but it won't happen. if you're using octave for a basic coding class where yuo do most of the work yourself and can keep the matlab/octave differences straight, you're fine. if you're relying on built-in functions (any of the ODE solvers/optimization routines) matlab is the way to go. i'm sure counterparts exist in octave, but no one is going to use it when they're already using matlab on their local workstation.

so i say you can use it well...depending on how matlab is used in your curriculum.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast