Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 32-Bit Chroot How-To

Beans

Re: 32-Bit Chroot How-To

Quote Originally Posted by gratefulfrog
    I've followed the instructions at the head of this thread, but when I reach step 5, I get some problems.... then it all falls apart...

Any help? Thanks!
    Either reboot or mount all the partitions/links you added to fstab with

Code:
    sudo mount /chroot/...
    Last edited by remkio; April 10th, 2005 at 10:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Having studied this thread and got things working ok I gather I should be able to chroot into a 32 bit Hoary system that is already installed providing I mount the partition as /chroot in my 64bit Hoary. Is this correct?

Beans

Step5:
    reon@mamoth:~$ apt-get install synaptic
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
    reon@mamoth:~$ sudo apt-get install synaptic
    Password:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done

,,,,,,,,,,text deleted.................
    I had to add sudo xxxx to all th elines in step 5. Am I doing something wrong ?
    Last edited by mips; April 11th, 2005 at 06:04 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips
    Step5:

I had to add sudo xxxx to all th elines in step 5. Am I doing something wrong ?
    No that was correct, I updated the original.

Beans

Crad,

Thanks for the idiot proof guide, makes life easy for us noobs.

Where to from here ?

thanks
    mips

Beans

Hi, I have got this pretty much working now. But one thing I don't get is how do I make desktop icons of the applications I install? Say for example I wanted to install a 32Bit version of Kaffeine (and I really do want to install a 32Bit version of Kaffeine) would I have to run it all the time as su or could I run it as an ordinary user?

I tried installing kaffeine the way that is set out above - but it failed miserably,

GJ
    Last edited by raid517; April 12th, 2005 at 09:40 AM.

Beans

Also, how do I install 32 bit apps in the chroot environment that are not in the repositories - or in .deb format? For example, what about real player, or flashplayer (since I can't find a site that will install it automatically) or crossover office, or things like this?

My main interest is to have these items as desktop icons in KDE and to be able to run them as I normally do.

GJ

Beans

Thanks for the guide. One question though, I installed firestarter 32 bit using the method described and everything is good until I try to start it. It says my kernel does not support ip tables does anyone know why it would say that?

Beans

I'm realy not trying to be sarcastic, but maybe it really is because your kernel doesn't support IP tables?

Perhaps you should add them?

GJ

Beans

Also, Is there any chance anyone could adapt this guide so that I can install a standard debian unstable distribution as my chroot environment? I ask as there are several unoffical packages I would like that are only avaiable for unstable/sid. You can potentially add these repositories to your /chroot/etc/apt/sources.list, if you are using Ubuntu as your chroot - but this is likely to cause significant problems with many applications - as you will essentially be running a mixed environment. Already I found dependency conflicts when I tried to install mplayer, when I was told that mplayer from deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main conflicted with libavcodec2 from the official Ubuntu universe repositories. I have only just learned what a huge mistake it can be to run mixed environments - as as time goes on these conflicts only tend to increase in number, until it is impossible to install anything. (Those running mixed environments may not have found this out already - but they will eventually).

There are lot's of advantages to having a pure debian unstable install as your chroot environment. Not least because of the sheer volume of packages that are avaiable (both official and unnoficial) far more indeed than can be found on the Ubuntu repositories. But more than this is the frequency of updates. I find it odd as a long term (2 years) debian user to do an apt-get dist-upgrade after a couple of days and to find zero new packages on the repositories. In the real debian world by that time there would normally have been tens of megabytes if not hundreds worth of avaiable updates.

Also if I do want to install a package that is not in synaptic and/or apt-get such as a .deb or crossover office or a crossover office (or wine) application application, or flash for firefox or whatever and I wanted an icon on my 64 bit user desktop for any 32bit application I install, can someone please tell me how to do this? It seems like a big part of the guide is missing in this regard.

Can anyone offer any input at all?

GJ

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast