Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 32-Bit Chroot How-To

Beans

Re: 32-Bit Chroot How-To

having problems half way through step 4 of the instructions. i get to the part before it says "sudo mount -a", but when i run this command it says "mount: mount point /chroot/media/cdrom0 does not exist". i have looked in the /chroot/media folder but there is nothing in there. have i forgot to do something?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Daz_Man
    having problems half way through step 4 of the instructions. i get to the part before it says "sudo mount -a", but when i run this command it says "mount: mount point /chroot/media/cdrom0 does not exist". i have looked in the /chroot/media folder but there is nothing in there. have i forgot to do something?
    comment out the line in /etc/fstab for /chroot/media/cdrom0 then.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by St-Ex
    I'll have a go myself...

EDIT:

No luck... How did you get it to work?
    Thx.
    I installed mplayer via synaptic32 (read using the dochroot bit). I tested in dchroot -d before making the symlinks. if you run mplayer via comandline in dchroot -d what kind of errors do you get?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Crad
    To get Firefox setup with Flash I did the following:

• ...some other stuff about chroots...
    • sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libesd.so.0 /usr/lib/libesd.so.1
    • ...more clipped stuff regarding chroots...
    Thanks! You are awesome. I have been looking for that nugget of knowledge. I have not had sound working in my Hoary Firefox and Flashplayer at all until now. I had given up on it for a while, even. I am just running Hoary 32bit for now but have an AMD64 and was poking in here for tips on 32bit app support before I dive in.

I get sound in Firefox now! What a nice surprise!

Peace,
    Tim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

First of all: THANK YOU! It's really very helpfull and thanks to you I can now view flash animations on my Ubuntu64.

My only remark is that I can have both version of Firefox working at the same time: it won't work if I make a Gnome launcher, but if I launch firefox32 from the shell, a new window of firefox32 appears, even if firefox64 is already runing

My next problem is for the sound... But I have already problems on my 64bits system, so I'm not sure I have any chance to have it to work in the chroot... Nobody spoke of OSS... Did somebody already try with it?
    Last edited by Ephack; April 23rd, 2005 at 10:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi to all,

this is my first message in the Ubuntu Forums after my registration.
    I've a suggestion for this excellent HOWTO.
    I think that it may be useful to add the following line in the /etc/fstab

/usr/share/fonts /chroot/usr/share/fonts none bind 0 0

so that fonts from the 64 bit environment become available to the 32 bit chrooted environment. My 32 bit Firefox won't list all the fonts on my system before.
    I hope this can be useful to someone.
    Bye

Beans

this is somewhat of an addition to amarra's post. i'm trying to use some Windows apps with cxoffice in a 32bit chroot. the apps themselves run fine, but the fonts i have installed in the 64bit userspace don't show up. that makes perfect sense, but i can't figure out how to get the fonts installed in the 32bit chroot. has anyone gotten this working or even have some suggestions on getting it working?

Beans

Thanks Crad and everyone else that helped with this thread. I have updated the Cedega/Ubuntu Wiki page with all the modified details from this thread and the previous Wiki page.

http://digital-conquest.ath.cx/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu

Beans

Thanks for the guide. It's very clear and straightforward. However, I couldn't get the Flash plugin working in firefox32. I visited one site that required the plugin, made the automatic firefox plugin install, and when the page reloaded, the plugin was still missing.

I have also tried to restart the browser and every time the installation ended apparently successfully, but it never appeared.

Any tips for me?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

See my earlier post (page 3 I think). Basically, I'd recommend starting it from a console and seeing what error message you get:

I tried this, and I have verified that I have the 32bit version of firefox running, but I get the following message:

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /home/mthaddon/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so [libXmu.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]

I've checked that the file exists:

ls -l /home/mthaddon/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 mthaddon mthaddon 2096844 2004-05-20 07:34 /home/mthaddon/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

Any idea what's happening here?

---------------------------------

Resolution:

Found out I needed to install libxmu6 - fixed the problem. Now have 32bit firefox version running nicely.

Thanks, Tom
    Dell Inspiron 1420n running Hardy i386.

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast