Thread: fonts for roguelikes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

fonts for roguelikes

Hi everyone,

I like playing roguelikes (crawl and adom), but I don't like the font the terminal runs in at the moment. I know how to change it, but I was wondering in what font other people are playing, so that I might try those out.
    And related to this: how can I change the font of the terminal I get when I press CTRL+ALT+F1? (Don't know what's it called; I know it's a non X-windows terminal.) It's a nice way to play full screen.

Thanks,
    Joep

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Re: fonts for roguelikes

I'm just using monospace (size 8) and an xfce4-terminal (although I'm using KDE again) for my ADOM baby and also for http://www.accursed-lands.com - ahhh.
    Switched to ArchLinux (Pacman rox!)
    Linux registered user number 391475.
    War is not about who is right, but who is left.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I guess I'll checking out Accursed Lands later this weekend.

I googled some more and found part of the solution:
    (it feels weird answering your own post, but hey)
    The console didn't show dark grey, to fix this add "vga=791" to the Ubuntu listing of /boot/grub/menu.lst.
    To change the console font you can use "consolechars -f /usr/share/consolefonts/iso01.16" or any other font to your liking in the same folder. Setting the font in /etc/console-tools/config does not seem to work (might be a known bug, need to ckeck that), but adding the above command to your ~/.bash_profile does.

Joep

Beans

Does anyone know a good virtual terminal for linux where you can set the size of the screen in rows*columns and when you resize the screen (or go fullscreen) it stretches the font instead of resizing the terminal?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna-Fish View Post
    Does anyone know a good virtual terminal for linux where you can set the size of the screen in rows*columns and when you resize the screen (or go fullscreen) it stretches the font instead of resizing the terminal?
    It's not exactly what you're looking for, but the two following things might be of some help.:
    1) You can create another terminal profile (edit > profiles) with a bigger font.
    2) You can use the zoom function (view > zoom in / zoom out / normal size).
    I know these are not elegant solutions, but it's something.

Regards,
    Joep