Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: WoW under 6.06 with Wine - NVIDIA/ATI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HOWTO: WoW under 6.06 with Wine - NVIDIA/ATI

Argh! Nevermind. The "please insert disc 4" window was hidden behind the installation progress window =(

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Sorry to post so many times, but WOW! Thank you so much, WoW is up and running almost perfectly (couple of sound glitches here and there). Great job!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Good stuff. If you have sound issues, try increasing the sound buffer to 100ms.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

i wish i was having your success.

i have WoW running; i log in, select char, and enter world. then, lovely blue bar. it fills and fills and then is full. then it sits there, and after a while (about the same amount of time as it took to fill), BOOM: "disconnected from server." i tried 3 servers--even made an alliance toon! always with the disconnect.

i didnt mention the lag. serious sound and video lag--maybe 1 fps? under ten. SLOW. i listen to a lot of experimental music, so i'm down with the sound problems--i kinda like it better like this--but the video is an issue. (it's my feeling that the lag is related to the disconnect, but lord knows.. i wanted to try dropping my resolution and going into window mode, but i couldnt get into the game to try it.)

i am not confident that my video card is set up properly, but i am confident that my sound card is, and both those are lagging, so i attribute this elsewhere. (i *think* my VC is set up right, but im not confident in it.)

watching the mouse move across the screen like theres a really slow strobe light at its own little party has left me writing like english isn't my first language. it is, but im stupified. (there's proof--that's a complex word usage.)

i've read up on the commonness of the fps problem with wine/WoW, but i haven't seen anyone mention the disconnect.

first time i've used that smiley. and i have a feeling it won't be my last. it's a good thing my hatred of m$ is so rich and longstanding.

and yet, now i go to my windows laptop to slaughter me some shadowmaw panthers.

autrui

ps: don't let my temporary frustration leave you with an impression of ungratefulness. (ungratitude? me = FRIED.) this is, in its way, a gold-plated problem. at least it's running.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hmm, well progress at least. Certainly seems like a video card issue. Try

glxinfo | grep rendering

Should say direct rendering: Yes. Then try

glxgears --printfps and post the results.
    Are you running WoW with the -opengl switch?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by tokyovigilante View Post
    Hmm, well progress at least. Certainly seems like a video card issue. Try

glxinfo | grep rendering

Should say direct rendering: Yes. Then try

glxgears --printfps and post the results.
    Are you running WoW with the -opengl switch?
    thanks for the quick reply. did a little real-job work, and i'm feeling much better.
    Code:
    autrui@compy:~$ glxinfo | grep rendering
    direct rendering: No
    autrui@compy:~$ glxgears --printfps
    Warrning: unknown parameter: --printfps
    X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
    autrui@compy:~$
    when i saw the "unknown parameter" bit, i let it roll for a little while, and then killed it. (while they were running, btw, they started getting jerky.)

how do i change to direct rendering? how do i make the gears work?

oh, and, yes: wine WoW.exe -opengl

autrui

ps: it looks like wine 0.9.20 is up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ah. You're not currently running 3D hardware acceleration. 1fps makes a little more sense .

Your ATI drivers aren't set up properly. Did you follow the instructions in the howto I linked? If you did, did you restart the X-server to load the drivers (Ctrl-Alt-BkSp)?

Yeah I did see 0.9.20, but binaries haven't been built. Compiling it from source is a bit of a stretch for me

Sorry just noticed that there should only be a single hyphen before printfps, ie glxgears -printfps
    Last edited by tokyovigilante; August 25th, 2006 at 10:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Ah. You're not currently running 3D hardware acceleration. 1fps makes a little more sense .

Your ATI drivers aren't set up properly. Did you follow the instructions in the howto I linked? If you did, did you restart the X-server to load the drivers (Ctrl-Alt-BkSp)?

Yeah I did see 0.9.20, but binaries haven't been built. Compiling it from source is a bit of a stretch for me

Sorry just noticed that there should only be a single hyphen before printfps, ie glxgears -printfps
    i hadn't used that particular guide before, but i did now, and things are about the same:
    Code:
    autrui@compy:~$ glxinfo | grep rendering
    direct rendering: No
    autrui@compy:~$ glxgears -printfps
    880 frames in 6.1 seconds = 145.382 FPS
    570 frames in 6.0 seconds = 94.398 FPS
    570 frames in 5.8 seconds = 97.652 FPS
    570 frames in 6.0 seconds = 94.621 FPS
    570 frames in 5.9 seconds = 96.085 FPS
    570 frames in 6.1 seconds = 94.093 FPS
    X connection to :1.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
    (that's where my fps was at before i restarted x-server.)

this also concerns me:
    Code:
    autrui@compy:~$ fglrxinfo
    display: :0.0  screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
    OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.4.1)
    wth is mesa? could that be my onboard card? the trick to getting my sound card to work was disabling the onboard sound card. could a similar thing be going on here?

thanks,

autrui

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

That just confirms my suspicion that your drivers aren't set up. In the absence of the ATI accelerated drivers, your system is using the unaccelerated community drivers written by the Mesa group. These do not use hardware acceleration, instead having to software render 3D, which is really slow.

Do you have onboard video as well as your X1300 Pro? I thought from the lspci (LiSt PCI devices) you posted that you didn't have onboard video. Seeing as you are running fglrxinfo, the ATI drivers are installed, but indirect rendering means they are not being used. Try running

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

and selecting fglrx when it asks for your video driver. Leave everything else the same, then restart your X-server by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace when the wizard completes.

Basically WoW and Wine are set up and working, and as soon as you get your system to use the ATI accelerated drivers, you'll be away.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

and selecting fglrx when it asks for your video driver. Leave everything else the same, then restart your X-server by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace when the wizard completes.
    i actually just did that, before my last post... i dont know if i have an onboard or not, i've always used cards. does it help/make any difference that in my device manager it's listed twice? it's got the correct vendor (ati inc.), but "Device: unknown (0x7142)" and in the other entry "Device: unknown (0x7162)."

ok, the sun is up. maybe the tooth fairy will make this thing work while i'm sleeping!

autrui

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast