Page 8 of 299 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

Quote Originally Posted by ghanu View Post
    help me
    due to my foolishness i'm not able to boot into gnome. i just downloaded the package from http://aquila.deus.googlepages.com/g...3-2.pkg.tar.gz and replaced original contents.i was previously running gtk-2.4.0 version. n when i restarted i could not boot right. i've the mouse cursor busy..and gdm does'nt show up..help me or do i've to reinstall.
    thanx in advance
    Sorry for the problem. You need to reinstall gtk 2.4 first. The environment is too old and you can't *just* install any gtk-2.10.x on the machine and expect the apps to work. (the binary is only for existing gtk-2.10 users)

If you can upgrade the system to gtk 2.8 (and related dependencies) and confirm everyting is working, then the 2.8 patch should work for you. I think there are other people who provide the 2.8 binary.

Beans
    Distro

Latest patch for 2.10.5 contains an important fix to make the menubar remaining visible when you move the main window or use popup menu.

If you want to try, get the patches from http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.ph...ails=1&ID=6447. It won't be put to my home page until I can upload the binary again (google quota bug...)
    Last edited by AqD; October 4th, 2006 at 07:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    Sorry for the problem. You need to reinstall gtk 2.4 first. The environment is too old and you can't *just* install any gtk-2.10.x on the machine and expect the apps to work. (the binary is only for existing gtk-2.10 users)

If you can upgrade the system to gtk 2.8 (and related dependencies) and confirm everyting is working, then the 2.8 patch should work for you. I think there are other people who provide the 2.8 binary.
    thanx AqD for the response, i'll upgrade..

Beans
    Distro

I'm working on a xfce panel applet (4.4). I just confirmed that my mac menubar doesn't need any modification in order to integrate with panel, and multi-menubars can work with gtk notebook (tabbed widget).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Great, rebuilding with the new patch, maybe you possibly could look if it is possible to get it as a gnome-applet also?
    If I have ever made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention, than to any other talent.
    Isaac Newton

Beans

Make this a gnome applet and will be my god.

Beans

Gnome Applet!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jannol View Post
    Great, rebuilding with the new patch, maybe you possibly could look if it is possible to get it as a gnome-applet also?
    Sure it's possible, but since I don't use gnome I wouldn't spend much time after initial release. So it's better if some gnome user could do this (it should be almost as same as my xfce one)

PS: that's the same reason I don't want to maintain the 2.8 patch

Beans
    Distro

Panel applet for xfce 4.4:

Source and .desktop: Mac Menu plugin | Round corner plugin

Binary builds for i686 are there => http://people.os-zen.net/aqd/repository/ (you need gtk2-aqd and xfce4-macmenu-plugin, and optional xfce4-corner-plugin)

They're arch linux packages (.tar.gz) but should also work for other distros. To install, first make sure you already have gtk+ 2.10.x and xfce 4.4 rc or beta installed, then untar the .tar.gz files and copy all non-dotfiles. If you install to a different xfce4 location, remember to change the line "X-XFCE-Exec=..." in xfce4-macmenu-plugin.desktop and xfce4-corner-plugin.desktop

Mac Menu Applet:

To move or remove the applet, move mouse pointer to the rightmost place of the menubar, where you will see something appearing like a flat button, then right-click on it.

You can right-click to get the panel menu (for restart/quit) if there is no window focused.

Problems and solutions:
    1. GNOME/GTK2 apps' menubars cannot be restored to the original state once you use this applet. However, they wouldn't die even if the applet/panel crashes - restarting xfce4-panel will catch them back (or switch to gnome-panel, which I'll make the same plugin soon).
    2. After you restart the panel, the menubar of currently active window may not be visible, unfocus/focus (or shade/unshade) the main window will make it appear again
    3. Restarting xfwm4 may cause some menubars to disappear - restarting xfce4-panel will solve this
    4. If your application crashes when the applet/panel quits, use my latest gtk2 patch/binary (for gtk 2.10 and 2.8).

Round Corner Applet:

Just add two corners, move one to left edge and the other to right edge, then left-click on the right corner to change its direction (will be saved automatically).

Cheers!
    Last edited by AqD; October 13th, 2006 at 05:20 PM.

Beans

I wouldn't mind helping out, but my problem is that I don't have any C/C++ experience really. I mostly script in Lua/PHP. I have no idea how the gnome APIs work, and no idea how the C syntax works.

Page 8 of 299 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast