Page 13 of 299 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

Ok, finally found my issues with my builds, I had an slightly older gtkmenubar.c that I patched and it didn't include the same headers as the most current so after that I got it to build correct and even if I could used flargens deb I just wanted to get my own build going.

works perfect, now I wonder if there are any ideas of an improvement in some way for dual monitors since it is a looong way to the menubar when I am at the right most corner with my app and the menubar is at most left.

Having the menubar in the middle isn't very nice when using 2 monitors and having the menubar applet on each of 2 different panels feels like waste and it doesn't seem to work either.

Any good ideas?
    If I have ever made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention, than to any other talent.
    Isaac Newton

Beans

One thing I like about the OS X menubars that concerns me a bit in a gnome/kde implimentation is that on a Mac, the menubar is global for ALL the windows created by an application. For gnome/kde, each window can have their own menubar.

Another thing is that I think the gnome/kde mac menubar simply moves the menubar widget to the top of the screen, which makes theming the menubar with a texture hard, because the mac menubar applet won't take on that texture. A better approach would be to have the applet control everything, creation of window/widgets and only have the applications communicate what options they want in the menus -- such a mac menu protocol would allow kde/gnome applications to share menubars easier too.

I can only hope freedesktop would take steps to improve this area so it would be improved for the long term, but I guess none of the core gnome/kde developers really care for this type of menu display, even though many feel that it is way better than the old emulated windows 3.11 menu approach.

But until anything happens in this area (if at all), I love and applaud the work Aqd is doing, it is really nice. I've been waiting for something like this forever!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Latest changes:
    • gtk2-aqd 2.10.6-5: fix a serious bug to lose menubar when panel quits/restars. Add wm hints to make menubar working under KDE (but not working yet )
    • gnome-macmenu-applet 1.0.3-1, xfce4-macmenu-plugin 1.0.3-1: SUPPORT KDE'S MAC MENUBAR! NOW YOU CAN USE KDE APPS HAPPILY UNDER GNOME AND XFCE (if the panel quits, their menubars will disappear).
    Last edited by AqD; October 12th, 2006 at 06:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jannol View Post
    Ok, finally found my issues with my builds, I had an slightly older gtkmenubar.c that I patched and it didn't include the same headers as the most current so after that I got it to build correct and even if I could used flargens deb I just wanted to get my own build going.

works perfect, now I wonder if there are any ideas of an improvement in some way for dual monitors since it is a looong way to the menubar when I am at the right most corner with my app and the menubar is at most left.

Having the menubar in the middle isn't very nice when using 2 monitors and having the menubar applet on each of 2 different panels feels like waste and it doesn't seem to work either.

Any good ideas?
    Ah, tried my latest patches and applets? It should work for multi-screens (with panel/applet per screen).

Beans

Hi

I downloaded the gtk 2.8.20 source, applied the path, make and make install... I reboot the system but nothing changed... What i forget to do? Tnx

Luca.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ShinjiLeery View Post
    Hi

I downloaded the gtk 2.8.20 source, applied the path, make and make install... I reboot the system but nothing changed... What i forget to do? Tnx

Luca.
    - You don't need to reboot. It affects all newly-opened apps.
    - Where do you install the patched gtk to? It should be in /usr/lib/
    - Check /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.*, there should be only one file and make sure the modification date is correct.

BTW there are other people who provide .deb for gtk 2.8. you could just use their package.
    Last edited by AqD; October 12th, 2006 at 10:07 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    - You don't need to reboot. It affects all newly-opened apps.
    - Where do you install the patched gtk to? It should be in /usr/lib/
    - Check /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.*, there should be only one file and make sure the modification date is correct.

BTW there are other people who provide .deb for gtk 2.8. you could just use their package.
    I tried, but i have the same error that you can read in the previous post. Like HERE

Beans

I'm on Ubuntu dapper 6.06 and the patch released for GTK 2.8.x working fine. Further I use the panel applet package released for Arch (Just extract and copy the files - altered .service file etc).

They are working as charm

Any chance of getting your latest patches for GTK 2.8.x ...

Thanks a lot...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zammi View Post
    I'm on Ubuntu dapper 6.06 and the patch released for GTK 2.8.x working fine. Further I use the panel applet package released for Arch (Just extract and copy the files - altered .service file etc).

They are working as charm

Any chance of getting your latest patches for GTK 2.8.x ...

Thanks a lot...
    Can ypu write how you do to get this patch work? I downloaded the gtk source, patched and install... But nothing changed

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ShinjiLeery View Post
    I tried, but i have the same error that you can read in the previous post. Like HERE
    Hi, the error has been fixed by the latest 2.10 patch. I'll port it back for 2.8 tomorrow.

However, with new patches you'll have to use panel applets, because code for standalone menubar is almost gone (it accounts for 3/4 of all code) and now it's barely usable - just like KDE's.

Page 13 of 299 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast