Page 93 of 299 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

Beans

Re: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

Quote Originally Posted by sicofante View Post
    Mmmh... That's good, isn't it? While the OLPC screen is fairly small (and that makes some difference), how that new interface would perform on a regular desktop might bring an interesting discussion, no? (and who knows, some consequences to our Gnome desktops). I'll check for mailing lists/forums on that development.
    Yes, very good. There are a lot of good ideas there. The Sugar interface displays only one application at a time, so transferring some of its ideas to GNOME would not be completely straightforward, but it would certainly be interesting to discuss.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Any hints as to when a gutsy-compatible version of this will be available?

Beans

i would love a gutsy compatible version
    i cant believe i havent upgraded just because i use this feature so much. dear gnome devs, enable this directly.

Beans
    Hidden!

When i can use your great macmenu on my gnome 2.20+gtk2.12??
    i'm arch user, i haven't upgrade to gnome2.20 because macmenu work fine only on 2.18+gtk2.10!!! Some news??

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kenobiswc View Post
    When i can use your great macmenu on my gnome 2.20+gtk2.12??
    i'm arch user, i haven't upgrade to gnome2.20 because macmenu work fine only on 2.18+gtk2.10!!! Some news??
    He stopped the project and is looking for a replacent dev for it.

Beans
    Hidden!

So, now i must uninstall it?
    How can i use this bar space?
    I'm using gtk+macmenu on top (i want traybar always visible) and AWN on bottom (not visible). If i delete macmenu.... uff... Some ideas?

Beans

can't wait for the gusty compatible version =)

Beans
    Hidden!

Diamin!! And now, how can i use this space?? Uff.... i love gnome... but i won't trash my space on desktop.... muble muble....

Beans

Just wanted to let you guys know, I have the Feisty packages for the mac menubar running on Gutsy to some extend. The menu itself works for all the apps that worked before (as far as i tried), however, some apps dont work at all (due to the downgraded gtk).

Apps that are working as far as I tried: contacts, dates, evolution, gthumb, ekiga, nmapfe, wireshark, xchat-gnome-0.18 (compiled), devhelp, glade, acidrip, audacity, gnomebaker, easytag, rhythmbox and banshee

Not working are: inkscape, gimp (needs gtk 2.10.13), cedega (probably needs pygtk downgrade), nemiver, avahi-discover, gnome-system-monitor, exaile (probably needs mono downgrade), gedit and !!! the ubuntu update dialog !!!

This is not a proper fix and will cause problems!!! (which is the reason, why i wont tell the steps for the command-line here... People who can handle the procedure, can probably handle the problems, it causes as well)

Basically i would advise not to do it at all, however, if you still want to anyway, you should create a new directory and back up copies of the package, you are going to downgrade there. If anything should go wrong, simply cd to that directory and dpkg -i *.deb to reinstall the current versions. The packages, you should back up are:
    libgtk2.0*
    gnome-panel*
    gtk-engines-pixbuf
    libpanel-applet2*
    libwnck22
    libwnck-common

Those are likely to be found in /var/cache/apt/archive, if you just installed or upgraded (like me) the system. If not, you can find current versions of those packages on http://packages.ubuntu.com.

Now you need to get and install libwnck18 and libwnck-common for feisty, which can also be found on http://packages.ubuntu.com and then simply install the menubar packages for feisty as described. If you still need an application that simply does not run (like the ones described above), use feisty packages or compile it yourself.

Again, this is absolutely not a proper way to go about it. It would be much nicer to have a patched version of gtk+-2.12, but i havent been able to find the patch and applet files, used for the feisty packages. If somebody could supply those, I think i could at least try to modify them for the current version of gtk.

Hope this helps somebody,

Paul.
    Last edited by avlex; October 21st, 2007 at 09:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by avlex View Post
    Again, this is absolutely not a proper way to go about it. It would be much nicer to have a patched version of gtk+-2.12, but i havent been able to find the patch and applet files, used for the feisty packages. If somebody could supply those, I think i could at least try to modify them for the current version of gtk.
    You can found the gtk patch here : http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=353076
    I dunno where you can find the sources for the applets, but if you want to try to dev a version for gtk 2.12 you may contact the original dev AdQ (aquiladeus) :
    http://aquila.deus.googlepages.com/
    Last edited by ayoli; October 21st, 2007 at 10:51 PM. Reason: forgot a link

Page 93 of 299 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast