Page 24 of 299 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

Quote Originally Posted by mots View Post
    AqD: could you release a patched tarball of your latest gtk-version?
    Maybe i'll set up an ubuntu repo for this...
    yes it's here http://aquila.deus.googlepages.com/archlinuxpackages, gtk2-aqd-2.10.....tar.gz. It's built for i686. To install, just copy all files (skip .PKGINFO, .FILELIST, and .INSTALL)

Beans

I have just tried the applet & patch, it is impressive. I would like to suggest one minor visual enhancement however: add a spacing of 1 character to the "window title". The reason is that if you use themes (like clearlooks) that have a menu bar background, you will see that it stops precisely near the "app name" label. I think it would look more balanced if you added the spacing of 1 letter so that this "cut off" cuts right in the middle between the two words instead of right next to the last letter of the first word.

Bonus bug reports:
    * there is a 1 pixel spacing between the applet and the top of the screen if the panel is the top one: as I saw the gnome menu bar having it fixed, it is most likely possible to make your applet with 0 spacing from the top, which would be excellent for usability (I tend to "bump" my mouse cursor to the edge of my screen)
    * alt+some_letter does not work. For example, with a normal gtk, if I do ALT+F in nautilus, it will open the "File" menu. With this patch, it does not work.

Your work is truly awesome.
    Last edited by kiddo; November 5th, 2006 at 04:46 AM. Reason: additional bug reports

An you can edit your theme to make it appear just like your panel, so no need to add that spacing you want. Just look at my screenshot http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/42460007/ .

Your bug about 1 pixel spacing between the applet and the top of the screen is because the theme you use and the ythickness for the panel and/or menubar items.

Beans
    Hidden!

lots of luck with your military service!
    i hope it will be interesting, but not too interesting..
    do you know where you will serve?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Showing murrine next version (0.31?) with --enable-macmenubar at the configure, hope you like it
    Last edited by Cimi86; November 5th, 2006 at 09:57 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kpolice View Post
    An you can edit your theme to make it appear just like your panel, so no need to add that spacing you want. Just look at my screenshot http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/42460007/ .

Your bug about 1 pixel spacing between the applet and the top of the screen is because the theme you use and the ythickness for the panel and/or menubar items.
    I don't think themes can be edited *only* for the panel menus (instead of all menus).. can they?

Also, the 1pixel bug must be on the software side, not theme, because the gnome-menu-bar works fine, but this applet, right besides it, has that 1 pixel bug... no?

Beans

I've updated the debs (and source debs) on my webspace, that URL again: http://chrislord.net/files/gtkmenubar/

AqD - Maybe worth mentioning this URL on the main post for edgy debs? Given there aren't any other debs floating around of the gnome applet and it seems I'm keeping them pretty up-to-date

Beans

Just to add that you have my gratitude for your packaging work, Cwiiis

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thanks for the .debs, too, Cwiiis.

One thing, though. Mono apps report their names correctly, as do all others I tested, but the desktop is now named "GNO..." rather than "GNOME" as it did previously. Did I do something wrong?

Edit: OK, I remember now that there's a 15 character restriction on the application name. 1.) Can that be configurable? 2.) Isn't "GNOME" shorter than 15 characters?
    Last edited by chrisoverzero; November 6th, 2006 at 03:44 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Cimi86 View Post

Showing murrine next version (0.31?) with --enable-macmenubar at the configure, hope you like it
    thats amazing. my favourite engine with that mac patch.

can`t wait till it is released

Page 24 of 299 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast