Page 18 of 299 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

Beans

Re: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

CWillis, what do you not like about my debs?

Beans
    Hidden!

first of all, thnx aqd for coding this. i was waiting for that years

i am on Gentoo (www.gentoo.org), a source distribution. the patch for gtk+ was no problem for me, but i am not able to compile your applet.

well, i am not very good in developing or coding programs, but if i try to compile the applet i get following error message

Code:
    gcc -std=c99 -Wall -Werror -fno-strict-aliasing -DFOR_GNOME `pkg-config --cflags --libs libwnck-1.0 libpanelapplet-2.0` $CFLAGS $LDFLAGS -o $pkgname macmenu-applet.c || return 1
    /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../crt1.o: In function `_start':
    (.text+0x18): undefined reference to `main'
    collect2: ld gab 1 als Ende-Status zurück
    bash: return: can only `return' from a function or sourced script
    i hope it is not to rude to ask if it is possible to include a autogen.sh or configure? maybe someone could help me with my error message?

i have following packages installed

Code:
    x11-libs/libwnck
          Latest version available: 2.16.1
          Latest version installed: 2.16.1
          Size of files: 455 kB
          Homepage:      http://www.gnome.org/
          Description:   A window navigation construction kit
          License:       LGPL-2
    and your gtkmenubar.diff from gnomefiles.org

hope that are enough infos.

thnx in advance

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cwiiis View Post
    Odd bug I've noticed with this, I have two panels - the lower one, usually, has a tendency to disappear sometimes. No idea why this is, but it'd be very cool if it were fixed...
    gnome panel? What applets do you put in the lower one? Is the macmenu applet disappearing or the panel disappearing?

Since I don't use gnome-panel for anything but testing, I can't confirm this. Does anyone else have similar problem?

PS: the applets run in their own processes and shouldn't prevent the panel from working even if they crash - I tested this.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vitae View Post
    well, i am not very good in developing or coding programs, but if i try to compile the applet i get following error message

Code:
    gcc -std=c99 -Wall -Werror -fno-strict-aliasing -DFOR_GNOME `pkg-config --cflags --libs libwnck-1.0 libpanelapplet-2.0` $CFLAGS $LDFLAGS -o $pkgname macmenu-applet.c || return 1
    /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../crt1.o: In function `_start':
    (.text+0x18): undefined reference to `main'
    collect2: ld gab 1 als Ende-Status zurück
    bash: return: can only `return' from a function or sourced script
    Ah, did you set the environment variable $pkgname? Try replacing it with gnome-macmenu-applet. sorry for the confusion

Also, make sure you have header files for gnome-panel installed.

You don't need the gtk patch to *build* the applets. The patched gtk2 and gnome applet can be built and tested separately - they just wouldn't work correctly if you don't put the two together.

(the applet can also swallow kde's mac menubars)
    Last edited by AqD; October 27th, 2006 at 06:10 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

thnx for your fast support.

one of us managed to create ebuilds (the way gentoo installs packages).

here is the overlay

Code:
    http://svn.gentoo-xeffects.org/xeffects/
    and here are the ebuilds.

Code:
    http://svn.gentoo-xeffects.org/xeffects/gnome-extra/gnome-macmenu-applet/gnome-macmenu-applet-1.0.6.ebuild
    Code:
    http://svn.gentoo-xeffects.org/xeffects/x11-libs/gtk+/gtk+-2.10.6.ebuild
    Code:
    http://svn.gentoo-xeffects.org/xeffects/x11-libs/gtk+/gtk+-2.8.20-r1.ebuild
    maybe you can add that to gnomefiles.org
    Last edited by vitae; October 27th, 2006 at 07:44 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

i just want to say something, too.

i followed some time ago the discussion in gnome to add such an applet or extension. it seems they don`t want to have that.

on gnome-look.org the one, who designed MacOS-X Aqua Theme, had also created something similiar, but there are rumors that he was forced not to make his source public.

i am happy, that you did. thnx again for your work and please don`t stop it

p.s.: it seems that i have problems with the fast-user-switch-applet. it is not shown on the desktop anymore. i reinstalled it and gnome-panel, too. but that doesn`t help
    Last edited by vitae; October 27th, 2006 at 09:03 PM.

Beans

p.s.: it seems that i have problems with the fast-user-switch-applet. it is not shown on the desktop anymore. i reinstalled it and gnome-panel, too. but that doesn`t help
    hmmm does it show up again if you remove the mac menubar applet?? (from panel and/or from file system)

PS: I added the gentoo link in the HOWTO

Beans
    Hidden!

no, it doesn`t show up after removing.

instead i have the menu bar always on the left top, where it is always in front of the gnome-panel.

someone earlier here has asked for a patch for openoffice. your answer is true, most of binary distributions don`t compile their packages, but in gentoo, we do all the time.

well, if isn`t do much work, you could think over it, again?

thnx

vitae
    Last edited by vitae; October 27th, 2006 at 11:07 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    gnome panel? What applets do you put in the lower one? Is the macmenu applet disappearing or the panel disappearing?

Since I don't use gnome-panel for anything but testing, I can't confirm this. Does anyone else have similar problem?

PS: the applets run in their own processes and shouldn't prevent the panel from working even if they crash - I tested this.
    Sometimes, after a bit of usage, my lower gnome panel (which contains the show desktop button, the task switcher and the trash applet) will disappear - I can bring it back using ctrl+alt+tab and it momentarily reappears if the mouse is held over the top panel (but disappears when moving the mouse away from the panel).

I'm not sure what causes this at all, I've not found a consistent set of actions that makes it happen - less frequently, the top panel disappears instead of the bottom panel too.. The problem seems to be with two panels.

Also, about the other patched gtk debs hanging around, of the two I saw, one had the same package name as the package already in the Ubuntu repository (so will always be prompted to 'upgrade' and doesn't reflect the difference between it and the official package), and the other had renamed it in an odd way - It seems to be common for a '+textdescribingaddition' to be added onto packages distributed by 3rd parties with small additions to the original package. This naming means the upgrade path won't be broken. Also, I've provided the source packages that I built the binaries with.

Beans

no, it doesn`t show up after removing.

instead i have the menu bar always on the left top, where it is always in front of the gnome-panel.
    Yes if the menubars are not caught by panel applet, they would show up there.

someone earlier here has asked for a patch for openoffice. your answer is true, most of binary distributions don`t compile their packages, but in gentoo, we do all the time.

well, if isn`t do much work, you could think over it, again?
    maybe

Page 18 of 299 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast