Page 155 of 299 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157165205255 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,550 of 2990

Thread: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

Quote Originally Posted by tominabox1 View Post
    I still havent heard any help for my situation... I have installed the thing but it doesnt work for any apps. Maybe its because i have both Global Menu and Mac Menu installed? (I dont even know the difference, I thougth they were the same thing...)
    Mac menu is the old patch and applet, originally written by Adq. Global menu is the new one completely rewritten by rainwoodman.
    You can't have the two menu at the same time. since the gtk patch is not the same.
    If you tried to patch gtk and it didn't work, please give more details :
    - what version of gtk (and source : from ubuntu repo, from gtk ?)
    - which patch (link or attach te patch)
    - did you notice errors when you applied the patch ? (if yes attach the .rej file)
    Then we could help you more.
    I think you have to start by reinstalling a clean non patched gtk, then retry to patch from a clean source.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ayoli View Post
    Mac menu is the old patch and applet, originally written by Adq. Global menu is the new one completely rewritten by rainwoodman.
    You can't have the two menu at the same time. since the gtk patch is not the same.
    If you tried to patch gtk and it didn't work, please give more details :
    - what version of gtk (and source : from ubuntu repo, from gtk ?)
    - which patch (link or attach te patch)
    - did you notice errors when you applied the patch ? (if yes attach the .rej file)
    Then we could help you more.
    I think you have to start by reinstalling a clean non patched gtk, then retry to patch from a clean source.

All right, how do I go about reinstalling gtk? I've searched around a while and havent found the instructions yet...
    Thanks for the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by tominabox1 View Post
    All right, how do I go about reinstalling gtk? I've searched around a while and havent found the instructions yet...
    Thanks for the help.
    try:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0 --reinstall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by teolemon View Post
    The new one is the way to go imho. I have one of the first version installed, and it was already better than the old one.
    Thanks for the recommendation.

I have installed the new global menu, and here are my experiences / initial thoughts:

INSTALLATION:
    The instructions on the original wiki page for the .deb installation method did not work for me. Even after installing all the packages listed as dependencies, I still had unsatisfied dependencies that I could not resolve.
    Note, for newbies to this thread, this ".deb method" from the wiki page is the only method which deals with the gnome2-global-menu project. The other methods are for the older "mac-menu" applet.

Then I followed the links to the installation section of the gnome2-global-menu project page. This offers 2 choices, the "new", "Quick-Install-on-Ubuntu" page and the "Installation-On-Ubuntu" page.
    The Quick install method was messy with some problems (e.g. the initial wget command doesn't get anything), but even after working this out, I still had dependancy problems.

Finally I went to the InstallingonUbuntu page. These instructions worked, and is the method I would recommend trying 1st. Only a couple of minor problems... some of the commands required "sudo", and the last "cd" command points to the wrong directory, but it was easy to see the real intended directory.

INITIAL THOUGHTS:
    So far, I actually prefer the old appelet, for the following reasons:
    - the old one gave me the name of the application the menu was representing, which I like to see;
    - when there is no active application (i.e. looking at the desktop only), I see a bar in place of the appelet which is not the same colour as the panel
    - I don't need the scrolling arrows, as I have plenty of room for the biggest menus. I do feel its a good idea though.

All in all, these are only minor annoyances... I am VERY happy with the appelet as it satisfies my primary need of more screen-estate. With a 11.1" screen of 1366x768 pixels, I have plenty of width for the menu on my panel, but want to conserve height.
    Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by az_s_za View Post
    (...)So far, I actually prefer the old appelet,(...)
    Is there any tutorial how to install it?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by andrek View Post
    Is there any tutorial how to install it?
    Yep, the main wiki here

It lists 4 alternative methods for installing a global menu (5 if you count installing the applet from source). The first 2 refer to the new global menu, the 2nd 2 refer to the older one (referred to as the "AdQ Patch").
    The "autotools" method worked fine for me. Just make sure you follow it exactly.

Beans
    Hidden!

OK, now the most important question is.. will it work with xfce and its xfce4-panel ?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by andrek View Post
    OK, now the most important question is.. will it work with xfce and its xfce4-panel ?
    It is supposed to.

I hope there is someone who knows more about the patch than I do who can help you with that, because I tried it a few months ago. (I normally use gnome, but had a play with xfce for 1-day only). I found that my menu was detached, but not into the panel, and there were a few other minor bugs which basically made it unusable for me.

Anyone else got it working in xfce?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by avb View Post
    Hello,

I made a package of applet and patched gtk for gutsy. Works for me.

HOWTO INSTALL:

1. Install macmenu-applet_0.1-2_i386.deb
    2. Download libgtk2.0-part1.tar.bz2, libgtk2.0-part2.tar.bz2 and install.sh
    3. Go to this directory in terminal
    4. Run sudo sh install.sh
    5. Add macmenu applet to a gnome-panel
    6. Log off/Log on

HOWTO UNINSTALL:

1. run 'sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgtk2.0-0'
    I uninstall this applet and restart os, The menu below the main and i dont know how do to fix it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by tomillo View Post
    I uninstall this applet and restart os, The menu below the main and i dont know how do to fix it.

you need to reinstall a non patched libgtk (as said in the quote)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgtk2.0-0

Page 155 of 299 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157165205255 ... LastLast