Page 103 of 299 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 2990

Thread: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

Beans

Re: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

Quote Originally Posted by catanni View Post
    Hello,

I've just installed the patch and everything seems to be ok except for the following problems:

1) The app label position is too high, it is not aligned to the app menu

2) After app label, there seems to bee a little white underscore.

3) Gnome seems to be much slower with mac menu patch applied...?!

I've attached a screenshoot to see what I'm saying....please help, is there any fix for this?

Thank you!
    1.) Thats a problem with the Lucida Grande font, looks like all the ports for linux, that are around have a different base line for bolt and normal text. At least in the menu (havent seen that problem anywhere else). You can either disable the fake application menu or change the font, whichever one you like better. For the font, I would recommend Aquabase, because it is very similar to the Lucida Grande font, if you want your system to look like Mac OS X.

2.) There is a spacer to separate the fake application menu from the rest of the menu, that might just be painted wrong (maybe because of the font). Try changing the font and see if its still there.

3.) Its a hack, so certain performance issues are to be expected. However, I fail to see a real difference on my systems (which doesnt mean there are none )
    Last edited by avlex; November 1st, 2007 at 08:15 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I've got a problem. As you can see on a picture below, instead of 'GNOME' i get 'GNO...'. I get the same thing with firefox, which is showed as 'Firef...'.
    Is there any possibility to fix it?

Also, how can i change that ugly deskbar-applet icon?

One more thing.. I've applied that 'no-arrow' patch which worked well, but.. as i tried to update/upgrade my system, it has updated gnome-panel.. So i'm back with that arrow.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by andrek; November 1st, 2007 at 11:48 AM.

Beans

Question Re: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

Quote Originally Posted by lxevolution View Post
    Here's how I did it and it worked.
    I'm on Gutsy x86_64 (Turion64 HP dv2000).
    1. Download the gtk patch that detaches menus from gnome windows.
    (http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...chmentid=47782)
    2. Download the mac menu applet source.
    (http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...chmentid=48014)
    3. Install the necessary dependencies for compiling gtk
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential autotools-dev comerr-dev dpkg-dev libart-2.0-dev libatk1.0-dev libaudiofile-dev libavahi-client-dev libavahi-common-dev libavahi-glib-dev libbonobo2-dev libbonoboui2-dev libc6-dev libcairo-directfb2-dev libcairo2-dev libcupsys2-dev libdbus-1-dev libdirectfb-dev libesd0-dev libexpat1-dev libfontconfig1-dev libfreetype6-dev libgail-dev libgconf2-dev libgcrypt11-dev libgdk-pixbuf-dev libglade2-dev libglib1.2-dev libglib2.0-dev libgnome-keyring-dev libgnome2-dev libgnomecanvas2-dev libgnomeui-dev libgnomevfs2-dev libgnutls-dev libgpg-error-dev libgtk1.2-dev libgtk2.0-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libice-dev libidl-dev libjpeg62-dev libkrb5-dev liblzo2-dev libopencdk8-dev liborbit2-dev libpanel-applet2-dev libpango1.0-dev libpng12-dev libpopt-dev libselinux1-dev libsepol1-dev libsm-dev libstartup-notification0-dev libstdc++6-4.1-dev libsysfs-dev libtasn1-3-dev libtiff4-dev libusplash-dev libwnck-dev libx11-dev libxau-dev libxcomposite-dev libxcursor-dev libxdamage-dev libxdmcp-dev libxext-dev libxfixes-dev libxft-dev libxi-dev libxinerama-dev libxkbfile-dev libxml2-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libxres-dev libxt-dev linux-libc-dev x11proto-composite-dev x11proto-core-dev x11proto-damage-dev x11proto-fixes-dev x11proto-input-dev x11proto-kb-dev x11proto-randr-dev x11proto-render-dev x11proto-resource-dev x11proto-xext-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev xtrans-dev xutils-dev zlib1g-dev
    3. Get GTK source
    Code:
    apt-get source libgtk2.0-0
    4. Patch and compile GTK source
    Code:

gzip -d gtk+-2.12.0-r2-gtkmenubar.diff.gz
    cd gtk+2.0-2.12.0/
    patch -p0 < ../gtk+-2.12.0-r2-gtkmenubar.diff
    ./configure --prefix=/usr
    make
    sudo make install
    5. Reboot.
    6. Compile the applet.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libwnck-dev libpanelappletmm-2.6-dev
    tar -xvzf macmenu-applet-0.1.tar.gz
    cd macmenu-applet-0.1/
    make
    sudo make install
    7. Restart gnome-panel
    Code:
    killall gnome-panel
    8. I'm using carbonit gtk theme (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...d48fe9b49f7a60)which uses a png for menubar background. I adjusted the menu background to match the panel background by modyfying ~/.themes/Carbonit/gtk-2.0/Menu-Menubar/menubar.rc and changing all "menubar" at the end of the file to "no-manubar"
    Code:
    class "GtkMenuBar*"					style "no-menubar"
    widget_class "*MenuBar.*" 			style "no-menubar"
    widget_class "*Nautilus*.GtkMenuBar*"	style "no-menubar"
    widget_class "*E*GtkMenuBar*"		style "no-menubar"
    widget_class "*Gimp*GtkMenuBar*"		style "no-menubar"
    widget_class "*Firefox*GtkMenuBar*"	style "no-menubar"
    class "*Panel*" 					style "no-menubar"
    Thanks, it's the first method that works on my comp !

But in Firefox, I only see "Firefox" in the applet et the menu is still attached in Firefox...
    Another thing : how can I get tranparence in the applet ? With Human it's ugly... I tried to modify the file like you did, but I didn't managed it, apparently... Any idea ?

Otherwise, Great job!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by tarte en pion View Post
    Thanks, it's the first method that works on my comp !

But in Firefox, I only see "Firefox" in the applet et the menu is still attached in Firefox...
    Firefox can't work with mac menu. It should need a patch but nobody has wrote it.
    You can use the compact menu FF extension to hide the menu
    Another thing : how can I get tranparence in the applet ? With Human it's ugly... I tried to modify the file like you did, but I didn't managed it, apparently... Any idea ?

Otherwise, Great job!
    You need a gtkrc style for that, if you want it transparent you may need to set a style for gtk menu using pixbuf engine with a transprent png image.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ayoli View Post
    Firefox can't work with mac menu. It should need a patch but nobody has wrote it.
    You can use the compact menu FF extension to hide the menu
    Ok, I didn't noticed everybody was using Epiphany!

Quote Originally Posted by ayoli View Post
    You need a gtkrc style for that, if you want it transparent you may need to set a style for gtk menu using pixbuf engine with a transprent png image.
    Ok, I will look closer at this when I have time. For the moment, could you please post your modified theme? It's so ugly so... Thanks

EDIT: Oh, you're also in France!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ok, I didn't noticed everybody was using Epiphany!
    Some of us use firefox with the menu hidden.

Ok, I will look closer at this when I have time. For the moment, could you please post your modified theme? It's so ugly so... Thanks
    sure, attached (use the panel-bg.png also as backgtround image for the panel)
    Edit: Take a look to gnome-look there is some themes "macmenu compatible"
    EDIT: Oh, you're also in France!
    et ouais
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Thanks ! I in faict choose de Leopard Thème from Gnome-Look. It's not perfect, but looks nice. I'll have a look to improve the details later!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by lxevolution View Post
    Here's how I did it and it worked.
    I'm on Gutsy x86_64 (Turion64 HP dv2000).
    1. Download the gtk patch that detaches menus from gnome windows.
    (http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...chmentid=47782)
    2. Download the mac menu applet source.
    (http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...chmentid=48014)
    3. Install the necessary dependencies for compiling gtk
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential autotools-dev comerr-dev dpkg-dev libart-2.0-dev libatk1.0-dev libaudiofile-dev libavahi-client-dev libavahi-common-dev libavahi-glib-dev libbonobo2-dev libbonoboui2-dev libc6-dev libcairo-directfb2-dev libcairo2-dev libcupsys2-dev libdbus-1-dev libdirectfb-dev libesd0-dev libexpat1-dev libfontconfig1-dev libfreetype6-dev libgail-dev libgconf2-dev libgcrypt11-dev libgdk-pixbuf-dev libglade2-dev libglib1.2-dev libglib2.0-dev libgnome-keyring-dev libgnome2-dev libgnomecanvas2-dev libgnomeui-dev libgnomevfs2-dev libgnutls-dev libgpg-error-dev libgtk1.2-dev libgtk2.0-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libice-dev libidl-dev libjpeg62-dev libkrb5-dev liblzo2-dev libopencdk8-dev liborbit2-dev libpanel-applet2-dev libpango1.0-dev libpng12-dev libpopt-dev libselinux1-dev libsepol1-dev libsm-dev libstartup-notification0-dev libstdc++6-4.1-dev libsysfs-dev libtasn1-3-dev libtiff4-dev libusplash-dev libwnck-dev libx11-dev libxau-dev libxcomposite-dev libxcursor-dev libxdamage-dev libxdmcp-dev libxext-dev libxfixes-dev libxft-dev libxi-dev libxinerama-dev libxkbfile-dev libxml2-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libxres-dev libxt-dev linux-libc-dev x11proto-composite-dev x11proto-core-dev x11proto-damage-dev x11proto-fixes-dev x11proto-input-dev x11proto-kb-dev x11proto-randr-dev x11proto-render-dev x11proto-resource-dev x11proto-xext-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev xtrans-dev xutils-dev zlib1g-dev
    3. Get GTK source
    Code:
    apt-get source libgtk2.0-0
    4. Patch and compile GTK source
    Code:

gzip -d gtk+-2.12.0-r2-gtkmenubar.diff.gz
    cd gtk+2.0-2.12.0/
    patch -p0 < ../gtk+-2.12.0-r2-gtkmenubar.diff
    ./configure --prefix=/usr
    make
    sudo make install
    5. Reboot.
    6. Compile the applet.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libwnck-dev libpanelappletmm-2.6-dev
    tar -xvzf macmenu-applet-0.1.tar.gz
    cd macmenu-applet-0.1/
    make
    sudo make install
    7. Restart gnome-panel
    Code:
    killall gnome-panel
    8. I'm using carbonit gtk theme (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...d48fe9b49f7a60)which uses a png for menubar background. I adjusted the menu background to match the panel background by modyfying ~/.themes/Carbonit/gtk-2.0/Menu-Menubar/menubar.rc and changing all "menubar" at the end of the file to "no-manubar"
    Code:
    class "GtkMenuBar*"					style "no-menubar"
    widget_class "*MenuBar.*" 			style "no-menubar"
    widget_class "*Nautilus*.GtkMenuBar*"	style "no-menubar"
    widget_class "*E*GtkMenuBar*"		style "no-menubar"
    widget_class "*Gimp*GtkMenuBar*"		style "no-menubar"
    widget_class "*Firefox*GtkMenuBar*"	style "no-menubar"
    class "*Panel*" 					style "no-menubar"
    THX,the mac menubar works on my PC now!~
    But the file ,libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1200.0, is so large.
    Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       26 2007-11-01 16:21 libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 -> libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1200.0
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 14997433 2007-11-01 15:55 libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1200.0
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  4047248 2007-10-06 04:08 libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1200.0.backup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Alright, I'm no programmer, but it would seem to me that a plugin could be written for Firefox and Thunderbird to show the menu in a way that MacMenu can detect, right? I just used the instructions here to install MacMenu and I'm loving it. I can't figure out how to change the background to a transparent PNG, but other than that (and the Firefox/Thunderbird bit), it's perfect! Thank you all for making what could have been a giant headache for a relative newbie go smoothly!

Beans
    Hidden!

Eh, seems like nobody sees my previous post..
    Please tell me then, how can I stop my system from upgrading a modded gnome-panel package?

Page 103 of 299 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast