Page 10 of 299 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 2990

Thread: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Beans
    11

    Re: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

    Thanks a lot. About to give it a go now.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Beans
    11

    Re: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

    Ok, it seemed to work, until after I restarted my gnome panel. Gnome panel would crash on launch instantly after I installed a patched version of GTK, be it compiled by myself or your binary package. Once I restored to the ubuntu gtk, gnome panel worked fine again.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    102

    Re: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

    Quote Originally Posted by agotfred View Post
    Ok, it seemed to work, until after I restarted my gnome panel. Gnome panel would crash on launch instantly after I installed a patched version of GTK, be it compiled by myself or your binary package. Once I restored to the ubuntu gtk, gnome panel worked fine again.


    You need to remove the "menu bar" applet from gnome-panel. It doesn't work with my gtk2 patch.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Beans
    11

    Re: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

    Oh, I see. Any reason why it's broken? =)

  5. #95
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Beans
    91
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

    I had some problems rebuilding my libgtk's but now it works again and the applet is very nice but AqD I have a small issue.

    When I open an app or window that doesn't have menubars as default the menubar is still there but for the last focused windows I used, this didn't happen with the first gtkmenubar.diff, is it my system that broke something or is there anything I can change in the diff?

    This happen with both the standalone and the applet.

    But hey, impressive work man.
    If I have ever made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention, than to any other talent.
    Isaac Newton

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    102

    Re: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

    Quote Originally Posted by jannol View Post
    I had some problems rebuilding my libgtk's but now it works again and the applet is very nice but AqD I have a small issue.

    When I open an app or window that doesn't have menubars as default the menubar is still there but for the last focused windows I used, this didn't happen with the first gtkmenubar.diff, is it my system that broke something or is there anything I can change in the diff?

    This happen with both the standalone and the applet.

    But hey, impressive work man.
    Ah, what WM are you using? And do you have the latest 2.10.x patch (submitted 3 days ago)?

    It works here, with xfce 4.4, gnome 2.16, and blackbox. The code has been made more complex after first release, to make the menubar suffient itself (without panels). But it should not display previous menubar (not visible ) anyway unless the WM is broken or you get a bad patch

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    102

    Re: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

    Quote Originally Posted by agotfred View Post
    Oh, I see. Any reason why it's broken? =)
    The patch is to re-assign the parent of menubar to a new toplevel window, similar to what KDE's mac menubar does.

    This approach is only intended to work with normal apps using normal method. But menubar itself in gtk is not a special high-level widget for each application, but a common one that you can put to any place (ex: you can have several menubars into a button or label).

    Some dev said I could/should do it in the high-level UI manager provided by gtk, which would not break any apps. But most non-gnome programs do not use it and I can't ask them to....

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Beans
    11

    Re: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

    Ok. I have another bug though, when using Compiz or Beryl I can't use the menubar. If I use metacity it works fine.

    Also here's a suggestion, the mac menu bar is quite hard to handle and place on the gnome bars, improving it's usability would be very nice, but that is up to you of course.

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    102

    Re: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

    Quote Originally Posted by agotfred View Post
    Ok. I have another bug though, when using Compiz or Beryl I can't use the menubar. If I use metacity it works fine.

    Also here's a suggestion, the mac menu bar is quite hard to handle and place on the gnome bars, improving it's usability would be very nice, but that is up to you of course.
    Ah, do you use the rightmost button to move it??

    (It won't be easy to fix anything because gnome panel API is almost undocumented...)
    Last edited by AqD; October 9th, 2006 at 11:05 AM.

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    102

    Re: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

    New gtk2 2.10.x patch released at GMT 20061009 [10:04:48]. Changes:
    • works with compiz/beryl again
    • You can set excluded programs in GTK_MENUBAR_NO_MAC, see the original post. And gnome-panel with menu bar will no longer have problems

Page 10 of 299 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •