View Poll Results: Would you like an "Ubuntu Enterprise" version?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 35.48%
  • No

20 64.52%

Thread: Ubuntu Enterprise

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Ubuntu Enterprise

How would you react if Canonical releases an Ubuntu enterprise edition?
    There are many articles already considering the possibillity that Canonical aims for something similar to Red Hat or Novell model.
    I decided to make this poll after reading KingBahamut's blog entry:
    In a relatively fascinating read, I found an article today, conjecturing this concept. I find myself wondering…Is Ubuntu ready for the enterprise? Ive already seen what sucessses RH has in the enterprise. Ubuntu however has a very niche envoirnment. Still, speaking from experience, Ive found its integration into my own network (Cluster included) to be very kind and desireable. I find as development moves foward , the reality of an Enterprise Ready Dist can possibly become more of a reality. Points to Ponder friends……
    Last edited by anodizer; August 22nd, 2006 at 04:11 PM.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. 2+2=5.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Enterprise

What exactely do you mean by an enterprise edition? One with extra features that you pay for or one that is optimised for office use?
    I don't know the Red Hat or Novell model..

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Ramses de Norre View Post
    What exactely do you mean by an enterprise edition? One with extra features that you pay for or one that is optimised for office use?
    I don't know the Red Hat or Novell model..
    A retail linux distro which usually contains proprietary software along with OSS.
    For example, Red Hat Linux became Red Hat Enterprise Linux and RH gave Fedora Core to the community.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. 2+2=5.

Beans

So you'd pay for a ubuntu with proprietary software added? That doesn't seem to fit in the ubuntu philosophy if you ask me..

Beans

as the policy states :
    ubuntu should and would be ALWAYS FREE !!!
    therfore they can't make proprietary software and sell it.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Voted yes...transparent though it would be, Canonical could certainly keep Ubuntu itself free while selling their "enterprise support" by simply packaging and supporting the proprietary bits needed to compete in the enterprise seperately (branded as Canonical, using Canonical servers, etc.) while using the free Ubuntu OS as the base on which it works. I would not have any problem with this type of scenario. In fact, I would like to see how they would do...if you are going to build a racehorse, let him run.
    'Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security.' - Benjamin Franklin

Registered Linux User#407002 / Registered Ubuntu User#1806

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

well... I don't know.

there is already this thing of the free_to_distribute_but_propietary nvidia module that "annoys" me a little bit.

I think that if Ubuntu will follow RH and SuSe model I would switch, but for what I've just said I might do it before.

I voted NO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I voted no, the whole idea behind open-source is the freedom to view and change the source code. When money gets into the loop, things start to get complicated and next thing you know, you are no longer the open, non-profit selfless community of people the started Linux. Ubuntu has a great community, I think a Enterprise Edition would destroy the great community that we are lucky enough to have.