Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Restore GRUB (if your MBR is messed up)

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Restore GRUB (if your MBR is messed up)

Hi all, I have

* Windows on hda (several partitions)
    * /boot on hdb1
    * / on hdb2

What should I type to restore grub?

Thanks in advance!

Roberto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I had the same problem. After playing arround with all the methods described without success, I've found that (for some reason) none of my partitions were active.

This is the way I've solved it:

- burned an iso of the Super Grub Disk (what a great tool)
    - used the CD to activate my hd0
    - I reseted and booted into fully operational Ubuntu installation via Super Grub Disk
    - then I sudo-ed into grub, did the "root (hd0,x)" and "setup (hd0)" <-- just to be sure
    - I restarted the system and that was it

Beans

I need to reinstall grub to get XP working, but I don't know what drive grub is on. I know it's my primary drive, but I don't know what sata it is.

Is there a way to find out what drive is sda, sdb, sdc, sdd, etc.? And which one hd(0,0) is?

Beans

Talking Re: HOWTO: Restore GRUB (if your MBR is messed up)

wow I must say SGD, Super Grub Disk, is a life saver. I foundout about it about an hour ago and burned the iso and was just able to recover my Windows XP stuff and erase the old mbr. I am now reinstalling Ubuntu 6.10 and hope that will install a good copy of grub so I can double boot. I'll keep you posted. I think other ways would work also, but for absolute beginners like myself the software rocks. The url where you can get it is posted in previous comments but here it is again:
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzo...bDiskPage.html

Beans

ok reinstalling ubuntu did not work. I am able to log into xp when I remove the mbr grub enteries with SGD but I can not reinstall ubuntu with the desktop cd. I get error 18. Since I am installing ubuntu on a 80 G drive I wonder, is the size of the drive really? I think the last time the two (Ubuntu and XP) were working on this pc it was the same setup. I changed the setings in bios also but did not get rid of the error.
    In previous posts there is mentione of live cd vs. Install CD. Just making sure, by live you mean the desktop cd? And install is the other one? that one should give me more options? I tried to change the /root to logical, but the desktop install did not allowe me to do this.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zigot View Post
    I had the same problem. After playing arround with all the methods described without success, I've found that (for some reason) none of my partitions were active.

This is the way I've solved it:

- burned an iso of the Super Grub Disk (what a great tool)
    - used the CD to activate my hd0
    - I reseted and booted into fully operational Ubuntu installation via Super Grub Disk
    - then I sudo-ed into grub, did the "root (hd0,x)" and "setup (hd0)" <-- just to be sure
    - I restarted the system and that was it
    Would you please state ( as much as you recall ) how you did the following:
    used the CD to activate hd0? What options did you use from the CD?

reseted and booted into fully operational Ubuntu?

setup hd0? How? I followed some of the procedures in previous post successfully but I still get the same error ie. error 18. Do you recall what error you got? I may just be having a different problem. I admit I have to read some of the material about grub to findout exactly what it does. The super grub disk page has some good advice. But regarding error 18 it just briefly discusses some of the procedures stated here.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I recently installed Windows XP on a drive that shared a computer with one harboring Ubuntu Edgy.

When I tried booting from Edgy, I got the same GRUB Error 21 message that most people seem to be getting.

So, I followed the majority of the instructions on the first and last few pages of this thread, but much to my dismay, nothing has worked yet.

When I am under GRUB in the terminal and I type the "/boot/grub/stage1" command to attempt to find out my boot partition number, but "Error 15: File Not Found" is the only response I get.

I used "sudo fdisk -l" in the terminal to get my hard drive info, and the boot path is "/dev/hda1" but the only thing that happens when I try "root (hd0,0)" under GRUB in the terminal is "Error 21: Selected disk does not exist."

Nothing else has worked so far, either.

Any hints on what might be wrong and what I can do?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric. View Post

When I am under GRUB in the terminal and I type the "/boot/grub/stage1" command to attempt to find out my boot partition number, but "Error 15: File Not Found" is the only response I get.
    you need to type in the "find /boot/grub/stage1"

but personally i dont know how to actually change the location of my grub from its location on the internal HDD (which by following those instructions is (hd0,3) to my external HDD which i know is (hd1), has 4 partitions

1. Windows NTFS
    2. Win/Lin Shared Fat32
    3. Linux Swap (swap)
    4. General Linux (Ext3)

would that mean that i want to change my location to (hd1,3) and if so where in the instructions of

Quote:
    Originally Posted by remmelt View Post
    Isn't it easier to do this:

1. Pop in the Live CD, boot from it until you reach the desktop.
    2. Open a terminal window or switch to a tty.
    3. Type "grub"
    4. Type "root (hd0,6)", or whatever your harddisk + boot partition numbers are (my /boot is at /dev/sda7, which translates to hd0,6 for grub).
    5. Type "setup (hd0)", ot whatever your harddisk nr is.
    6. Quit grub by typing "quit".
    7. Reboot.

I may be missing your point though, if so, please forgive me

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric. View Post
    I recently installed Windows XP on a drive that shared a computer with one harboring Ubuntu Edgy.

When I tried booting from Edgy, I got the same GRUB Error 21 message that most people seem to be getting.

So, I followed the majority of the instructions on the first and last few pages of this thread, but much to my dismay, nothing has worked yet.

I used "sudo fdisk -l" in the terminal to get my hard drive info, and the boot path is "/dev/hda1" but the only thing that happens when I try "root (hd0,0)" under GRUB in the terminal is "Error 21: Selected disk does not exist."

Nothing else has worked so far, either.

Any hints on what might be wrong and what I can do?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I might be barking up the wrong tree but the command in GRUB is

"find /boot/grub/stage1"

I recall getting the same error when I tried to save time by using the command line before booting into the GUI. Once the live cd was into the GUI though I reinstalled GRUB without problems.
    in a terminal...

> grub
    grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
    (hd0,1)
    (hd0,2)
    grub> root (hd0,1)
    grub> setup (hd0)
    grub> quit

this installs grub to the MBR, note the issues raised in earlier posts if you have other boot programs installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by ajare View Post
    I recall getting the same error when I tried to save time by using the command line before booting into the GUI. Once the live cd was into the GUI though I reinstalled GRUB without problems.
    in a terminal...

> grub
    grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
    (hd0,1)
    (hd0,2)
    grub> root (hd0,1)
    grub> setup (hd0)
    grub> quit

this installs grub to the MBR, note the issues raised in earlier posts if you have other boot programs installed.

you go from
    grub> root (hd0,1)
    to
    grub> setup (hd0)

from my understanding the ,1 was avery important part of this fix ... do we need to add the ,1 or not?

sorry i just want to make sure i get all the steps right before i go forward seeing as i'm having problems as it is and i dont want to make it worse lol

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast