Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Restore GRUB (if your MBR is messed up)

Beans

Talking Re: HOWTO: Restore GRUB (if your MBR is messed up)

Please please,

All my dear fellows in trouble, benefit from the excellent tool called Super GRUB at http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org

Download its ISO image, burn to an empty Floppy or CD. Boot from it and answer simple menu based question to get your GRUB working and enabling the access to Multi-Boot Windows XP/Vista again.

Regards,
    S.F.Hasan

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Restore GRUB (if your MBR is messed up)

guys u just shouldnt forget that to run grub and do something on it u actualy gota be root, so even if u boot grom the live cd u gota run grub as root so u should type $"sudo grub", the live cd wont ask for passwd and ull run grub with the permitions to do whatever u want to.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by remmelt View Post
    Isn't it easier to do this:

1. Pop in the Live CD, boot from it until you reach the desktop.
    2. Open a terminal window or switch to a tty.
    3. Type "grub"
    4. Type "root (hd0,6)", or whatever your harddisk + boot partition numbers are (my /boot is at /dev/sda7, which translates to hd0,6 for grub).
    5. Type "setup (hd0)", ot whatever your harddisk nr is.
    6. Quit grub by typing "quit".
    7. Reboot.

I may be missing your point though, if so, please forgive me
    Hi! I'm trying this method but its not working. Well its just me. I dont know what my hardisk is (i.e hd0.6) How can i find out. Help appreciated. Windows is driving me nuts. Thanks LilNerd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I've been trying this for more than 2 days now. I've tried every suggested method in here and several variations thereof. None of them work for me. Every time I try to boot, no matter which method I try, I get "Grub loading..." Then the Ubuntu logo pops up with the progress indicator and it doesn't move. I let it sit for more than an hour to make sure it was frozen and nothing. I tried Norton Ghost too - didn't work, wouldn't even try it. Now what? Seriously, it should not take 20+ hours of trying, just to backup a hard drive!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Exclamation Re: HOWTO: Restore GRUB (if your MBR is messed up)

Quote Originally Posted by SFHasan View Post
    Please please,

All my dear fellows in trouble, benefit from the excellent tool called Super GRUB at http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org

Download its ISO image, burn to an empty Floppy or CD. Boot from it and answer simple menu based question to get your GRUB working and enabling the access to Multi-Boot Windows XP/Vista again.

Regards,
    S.F.Hasan
    Sorry, folks, but the link to http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org gets us nowhere. It opens a webpage with nothing on it. So I spend over 2 hours today Googling/etc for Supergrub, and can report only that apparently it is now vaporware, nowhere to be found. Save yourself the time.

I have generally found solutions using BootIt-NG, Symantec/Norton Boot Magic module of PartitionMagic, and DOS MBR tools (buried within .../tools on ******* CD's). I'm still rather a newbie to Linux but have tried most all the major distros, and in doing so have wiped out/corrupted my MBR countless times. So we do need a better standard linux tool for Grub/Lilo, something straightforward rather than messing with all those mentioned!
    New Mexico, USA - "Atlas Shrugged"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by RonKZ View Post
    Sorry, folks, but the link to http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org gets us nowhere. It opens a webpage with nothing on it. So I spend over 2 hours today Googling/etc for Supergrub, and can report only that apparently it is now vaporware, nowhere to be found. Save yourself the time.

I have generally found solutions using BootIt-NG, Symantec/Norton Boot Magic module of PartitionMagic, and DOS MBR tools (buried within .../tools on ******* CD's). I'm still rather a newbie to Linux but have tried most all the major distros, and in doing so have wiped out/corrupted my MBR countless times. So we do need a better standard linux tool for Grub/Lilo, something straightforward rather than messing with all those mentioned!
    You can download it here: http://freshmeat.net/projects/superg...ease_id=251708

A quick Google check found it on the 1st page. I already tried using Super Grub Disk. It didn't do anything for me that helped anything. Exact same freeze-up after stage 1.5 of Grub and as soon as the Ubuntu logo shows it's frozen. I'm coming up on my third day of trying to simply backup a disk. I think I've tried about all the tools out there but any suggestions? It's a default install. The only reason I want to do this is to see if any of the methods actually work as posted. So far they all have missing steps, expect you to know tons of computer terms that I don't know, or just don't work. Some of the methods described here are impossible in 7.0.4 too. What a mess. Glad I don't actually have to back something up that's important! I'd have destroyed it probably 10 times by now.
    Last edited by vyoufinder; May 28th, 2007 at 12:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I can't believe it. I was about to leave and call it another wasted day and thought I'd try booting one more time. Well, no change happened. I got to the Ubuntu logo and as soon as the progress indicator loaded it just froze. Same as it's been since I started the backup process more than 2 days ago... For no apparent reason, I decided to hit enter and bam! The damn thing just started booting! I didn't do anything or use any tools this attempt. I used the simple tar method. None of the backup tools did anything for me. Half of them I either didn't understand how to use or they simply didn't work so I'd say don't waste your time on backup programs. I'm just glad I can forget about this whole backup thing now and finally move on. Only 2.5 days to make a backup, wow, now that's progress.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I just realized my backup still did not boot. I had the original drive in and didn't realize it.. So my mbr is still messed up. I've tried re-installing it through the Synaptic package manager, tried reinstalling from command prompt.. Something screwy here going on. When I use Super Grub Disk to boot, it boots right in and runs fine. Ideas anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i don't understand what you want here? Are you saying that you used some form of tool to backup your entire install and then you restored it to another drive or partition? You want to be able to boot into the backup to see if it worked? If all you want to do is install grub and have it boot this backup image that you untarred onto a partition, then you'll need to make sure that your menu.lst and your fstab files are correct, here is the guide to reinstall grub if you need it:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=459257
    when you get to that link, it's actually a link to help another user install 3 os's into his machine BUT the post number 4 is the one that you have to follow, all you do is copy and paste what the commands are that are within the little code boxes and that will reinstall grub into the mbr of the hard drive that you are booting from the bios. (NOTE: make sure you chose the correct device (hd0 or hd1 for your situation) Then the next step is to make sure that the menu.lst that it's going to look at and use for it's config is correct. You'll need to make sure that the boot line is correct. So, if you're unsure of how to make sure it's correct, I'll need to see the following info to help, after you chroot into your system, I neeed you to paste the output from these commands
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    and
    Code:
    cat /mnt/root/boot/grub/menu.lst
    Code:
    cat /mnt/root/etc/fstab
    So you're saying that you never had this freezing problem before you did this backup and restore thingy? What does this show?
    Code:
    lspci
    ALso, I have made a cool guide for checking SBACKUP backups (SBAACKUP is a GUI backup tool that I use and love and it VERY easy to use) so that you know you have a backup of your system once you have it the way you want it and can trust that the backup will save you one day if your system is unfixable. It's here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=401425

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When i tried to restore with Live CD i got this?

With root file give me this?
    How can i restore Ubuntu now
    its on (hd0,1)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast