Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install a .run file

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!

How to install a .run file

For those of you that have been using Ubuntu for a while, you probably already know this. I'm posting this for the newbies that download a game installer in .run format and have no idea what to do with it.

How to Install a .run File:

For this How To I am going to be using the dummy name "example.run". You should replace this with the name of the file you are trying to install.

1. Open a terminal. In Gnome the terminal is found in Applications>Accessories>Terminal.
    2. Navigate to the directory of the .run file. For this example, I have mine on the desktop so I would type in "cd ~/Desktop" and press enter.
    3. Type "chmod +x example.run" (press enter).
    4. Now type "./example.run", press enter, and the installer will run.

Beans

Re: How to install a .run file

Thanks! =D

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

What about uninstalling these? I have UFO: Alien Invasion installed on my box, but I want to remove it. Is it enough to delete the directory it's located in, or is there another, better method?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by WaySensei View Post
    What about uninstalling these? I have UFO: Alien Invasion installed on my box, but I want to remove it. Is it enough to delete the directory it's located in, or is there another, better method?

Since I'm getting ready to install this game I wanted to know why you want to uninstall it. Don't like it? Did you play XCOM? How does it compare?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

this page is a good reference (although I don't think .run installers are there): How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu!

those programs often put an uninstaller script in their main directory, in the directory do:
    "sudo ./uninstaller_script_name" (whatever the name of it is) - or - "sudo /path_to_it/uninstaller_script_name" of course.

there is a great little application that comes in handy for stuff like that - called "nautilus-open-terminal" (available in Synaptic - or "sudo apt-get install nautilus-open-terminal") - it puts a selection in the right-click context menu to open a directory in the terminal. (Xubuntu 7.10 has something like that included).
    HP G71 Notebook - 2.20 GHz Intel Core2Duo T6600 - 4GB DDR2 - Intel GMA 4500MHD - Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
    Be aware of what you enter into the terminal. Ask for clarification if you are unsure what a command does.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

There is an uninstall script in the /usr/local/games/ufoai directory that I wish to uninstall, but when I try to run the uninstaller script by typing:
    Code:
    ./uninstall
    , there is an error that:
    Code:
    Could not find a usable uninstall program. Aborting.
    I think it must be a bug with the uninstall script for ufoai. I am thinking of simply trashing the directory in order to remove the program and clear the space, but would like other thoughts on the matter before I do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

The game itself is fine. When I installed from a .run file, however, the game would not start. I then installed it from a .deb package from getdeb.net, and it worked fine. However, now I have two installs on my computer and want to get rid of one of them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yeah, I'm having troubles getting it to work too. I'm not on my Ubuntu system, so I don't have the error code in front of me, but it is missing something. I found one post that said to fix that problem, I need to create a link. But the link command he used didn't work. The file wasn't in the directory his command showed. This problem appears to show up in the 64 bit version. I'll try again later, if it continues to give me a hard time, I'll try the deb.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by tim15856 View Post
    Yeah, I'm having troubles getting it to work too. I'm not on my Ubuntu system, so I don't have the error code in front of me, but it is missing something. I found one post that said to fix that problem, I need to create a link. But the link command he used didn't work. The file wasn't in the directory his command showed. This problem appears to show up in the 64 bit version. I'll try again later, if it continues to give me a hard time, I'll try the deb.
    search for the file you need like:
    Code:
    sudo find / -name name-of-file
    then to make a symlink make it from the file to where it goes

it might be possible that you don't have the library package (or other dependency) installed that the file is a part of (you probably thought of that already I guess)
    HP G71 Notebook - 2.20 GHz Intel Core2Duo T6600 - 4GB DDR2 - Intel GMA 4500MHD - Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
    Be aware of what you enter into the terminal. Ask for clarification if you are unsure what a command does.

Beans

i have tried the samething to install .run file of america's army.
    but i still get ">" after pressing enter after "./example.run"
    :

Thanks in advance

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast