Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howto network manager applet (nm-applet) in xubuntu to switch wireless networks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Howto network manager applet (nm-applet) in xubuntu to switch wireless networks

First make sure you have a "System Tray" applet on of your panels otherwise the applet won't show up. Xubuntu provides one by default in the right part of the upper panel. So normally this should be ok.

Install the packages from the terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install network-manager network-manager-gnome
    Go to Settings>Autostarted Applications:
    - click "+ Add"
    - type in these values:
    - name = "network applet"
    - command = "nm-applet --sm-disable &"

That is all.

---

Some people complain of having multiple nm-applets running... An easy trick is to remove the applet:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove network-manager-gnome
    Quit all applications and reboot while saving your session.

To install again the applet, start at the beginning of this howto.

---

Good luck,

Stani

http://www.stani.be
    http://pythonide.stani.be
    Last edited by stani; September 29th, 2006 at 02:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Howto network manager applet (nm-applet) in xubuntu to switch wireless networks

Hi,

Your instructions worked like a charm! Thanks!

The reason how I found out about the six instances was that I never had the system tray enabled until yesterday (didn't know about its existence until I was looking for help on how to get update manager to appear in the panel). I now have just one instance, but I am still unable to configure using nm-applet. It always shows two computers with a red "x". I can go to System --> Networking and bring up the network configuration applet, and I still have network access, so it's no biggie.

Thanks and take care,
    Russ

Beans

Re: Howto network manager applet (nm-applet) in xubuntu to switch wireless networks

Is there any way to avoid entering WPA key every time I boot up my laptop?
    ASUS Zenbook 14 Ubuntu 22.10

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I wouldn't suggest installing Gnome Apps in Xubuntu. The whole reason you are using Xubuntu is so that it's a LITE Distro. Well that's the reason I am using Xubuntu on my Pentium MMX 266mhz with 128mb RAM. Anyway, a much better choice is to install WIFI Radar. You can create tons of wireless profiles, they keep your security settings and everything! I thought I installed it from synaptic but I may have downloaded the .deb and installed it that way. Just goggle it and you'll find it!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    I wouldn't suggest installing Gnome Apps in Xubuntu. The whole reason you are using Xubuntu is so that it's a LITE Distro. Well that's the reason I am using Xubuntu on my Pentium MMX 266mhz with 128mb RAM. Anyway, a much better choice is to install WIFI Radar. You can create tons of wireless profiles, they keep your security settings and everything! I thought I installed it from synaptic but I may have downloaded the .deb and installed it that way. Just goggle it and you'll find it!
    I have never managed to make it work with my BCM43xx chip and ndiswrapper.
    ASUS Zenbook 14 Ubuntu 22.10

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well I don't use the ndiswrapper so I can't comment on that but I thought the purpose of it was only so that you can use a windows wireless adapter driver to get your wireless card to see networks, I didn't think it had anything to do with controlling what network you attach to or what security settings you use to attach to it. Why don't you use the ndiswrapper to get your wireless card to see your network and then install WIFI radar to control what different networks you attach to and what each security settings they have.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rlgoddard View Post
    Hi,
    <snip>
    I am still unable to configure using nm-applet. It always shows two computers with a red "x". I can go to System --> Networking and bring up the network configuration applet, and I still have network access, so it's no biggie.
    ,/snip>
    I also have this issue, just installed network-manager and shows up, but it doesnt see the network interfaces working.

I installed it in the hope of managing various network profiles
    --
    rgds,
    dóm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wifi Radar is in Synaptic Package Manager.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinsonar View Post
    Wifi Radar is in Synaptic Package Manager.
    Cheers, Looking good ! Much better in fact!

Any ideas on proxy setup. Some networks have 'em, some dont, I'd like to automate rather than having to re-set firefox each time i change network.

Any ideas on ethernet (or dual wifi/ethernet ) equivalents ?
    --
    rgds,
    dóm

Beans

Thanks for the howto stani, worked a treat.

But I found in xubuntu 6.06.1 that the :-

Go to Settings>Sessions and Startup Settings>Advanced
    Enable "Launch Gnome services on startup"

bit was uneccessary.

In reply to dom with regard to network manager I found that the advise found in the dapper issues section of:-

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...NetworkManager

worked for me. Essentially network manager didn't work, even on a fresh install until I 'hashed' out the reference to all interfaces except lo in the file:-

/etc/network/interfaces

hope this helps but please read the referenced doc as it contains more details of how to do this and why.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast