Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Howto network manager applet (nm-applet) in xubuntu to switch wireless networks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Howto network manager applet (nm-applet) in xubuntu to switch wireless networks

Quote Originally Posted by Philip g View Post
    Thanks for the howto stani, worked a treat.

But I found in xubuntu 6.06.1 that the :-

Go to Settings>Sessions and Startup Settings>Advanced
    Enable "Launch Gnome services on startup"

bit was uneccessary.
    Updated! Thanks, less is more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Howto network manager applet (nm-applet) in xubuntu to switch wireless networks

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Any ideas on proxy setup. Some networks have 'em, some dont, I'd like to automate rather than having to re-set firefox each time i change network.
    Try Firefox's SwitchProxy plugin. Works like a charm for me.

Pascal

Beans

I typed the startup program as you said, but I can't log in to Xubuntu anymore any other way than to the terminal... Please help me to remove it from the startup programs.

Beans

Works great for me! Thanks!

Beans

Exclamation Re: Howto network manager applet (nm-applet) in xubuntu to switch wireless networks

I don't have internet connection, and requires internet
    wat to do

Beans

If you can get to the internet on another machine, one method is to download the repository there. Get (download and burn, buy or borrow) a copy of an ubuntu live install CD and boot the PC from the CD. Then use APTonCD to download the repository that has network manager. I think the latest version of the live CD automounts the hard drive so you can save the download. Take the downloaded images to your off-line machine.
    You should then add the new iso files to your list of repositories.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    Anyway, a much better choice is to install WIFI Radar. You can create tons of wireless profiles, they keep your security settings and everything!
    Nice, didn't know this existed...thanks for the heads up.

Beans

I cannot find the applet on the Add To Panel list, so I can't add it back to see it running. It's running, since I can't restart it from the command prompt. I am using Ubuntu 9.04, so I don't have System > Networking menu either. I'm a little lost right now, since I can't even know if I have connected to a network or not.
    Thanks much.

Beans
    Distro

Just press Alt+F2 and type "nm-applet". If you want to make this permanent, add it to system preferences > session.

Beans

I was able to install the applet, networking seems fine right now. But the applet doesn't show up in the list to add to the panel. So I don't have a problem starting the network applet, but the original icon and behavior - where at network startup a transparent object on the desktop would notify of connecting to a network - is gone. The icon looked like a set of growing bars.
    Anyway, thank you much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12