Thread: Install Quake3PC on Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Install Quake3PC on Ubuntu?

I was told that my PC version of Quake 3 can be installed on Ubuntu through some "universal binary" file or something or the other? Can anyone explain this process to me?

Thanks, Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Install Quake3PC on Ubuntu?

Hi Mike,

I managed to install Q3 on my machine by downloading the Q3 point release 1.32b from ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/qua....32b-3.x86.run and then doing a

sudo sh linuxq3apoint-1.32b-3.x86.run

I deselected the Quake III Team Arena and Dedicated Server options as I dont use either of them (I think you do need the Q3TA cd for the Team Arena option though).

When it has finished installing, I copy the PAK0.PK3 from the Quake 3 CDROM to the installation directory by doing a

sudo cp /media/cdrom/Quake3/baseq3/PAK0.PK3 /usr/local/games/quake3/baseq3

When that completed, its good to go. For reference, your configs and the like are in ~/.q3a/baseq3 (or arena for RA3 / threewave for Threewave CTF).

Hope that helps!

If you choose to play online, you will need Punkbuster updated. I use PBSetup from http://www.evenbalance.com to keep it updated, as its quicker updating there than on a server.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks for this post jonifen, now I can play q3 on my laptop !!

Only a couple of issues... I don't have any sound !! This is the output in the console :

Code:
    ------- sound initialization -------
    /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
    Could not open /dev/dsp
    ------------------------------------
    Sound memory manager started
    Also, I always have the error about the fact that I cannot write to q3config.cfg. I tried to set the permissions to write (755) to the file AND the directory where the pak files are located without any success.

Also, from times to times, the game just simply crash without any warning. This is what I get in the console :

Code:
    quake3.x86: intel_ioctl.c:62: intelEmitIrqLocked: Assertion `((*(int *)intel->driHwLock) & ~0x40000000U) == (0x80000000U|intel->hHWContext)' failed.
    Received signal 6, exiting...
    Shutdown tty console
    Any ideas will be greatly appreciated !

Beans

I believe the "signal 6" error is caused by punkbuster, I'm having the same problem. I'd really like to fix this, any ideas anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

You could try ioquake3, its been reworked so openAL is used for sound which should hopefully fix your sound problem, not sure about the other one though

Beans

I am having the same punkbuster problem. Any help would be great cause this is super annoying and I know I can not be the only one out there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

nope you aren't alone ..got punked by punkbuster too

Beans

I put a ticket in to Even Balance but had no luck as of yet. And its probably been almost a month. They seem to respond slow.

I'm moving this over to Gaming and Leisure; it might get more attention there from people who have experienced this problem.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com