View Poll Results: Should the definition of a planet be modified?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the current definition of a planet is too exclusive

19 44.19%
  • No, what they want to be called planets are too small

24 55.81%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Astronomers to vote on potential new planets

Beans

Astronomers to vote on potential new planets

The International Astronomical Union (IAU) has offered up a new definition of the word "planet" that could potentially increase our solar system's nine planets to at least twelve. According to the proposed definition, "A planet is a celestial body that (a) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape, and (b) is in orbit around a star, and is neither a star nor a satellite of a planet." Roughly speaking, the former includes objects over 5 x 1020 kilograms (1/12,000th of Earth's mass) and 800 kilometers in diameter, but all borderline cases would require confirmation by observation of their shape.

According to this new definition, Ceres (an asteroid in the asteroid belt, between Mars and Jupiter), 2003UB313 (an astronomical object beyond Pluto which has previously been called the tenth planet), and Pluto's moon Charon may be dubbed planets. A dozen other candidates, like Sedna, Orcus, Quaoar, 2003 EL61 etc., along with the asteroids Vesta, Pallas and Hygiea are awaiting evaluation by the IAU.

The draft resolution also introduces the term "pluton", which refers to a growing subcategory of planets that have orbits around the sun that take at least 200 years to complete - effectively this will mean planets that orbit beyond Neptune. Plutons differ from classical planets: their orbit is highly tilted, eccentric and not circular, which suggests they have a different origin, the main reason why astronomers are interested in them.

The word "planet" comes from the ancient Greek word for "wanderer", because it was known in ancient times that certain lights in the sky moved in relation to other stars. However, since then no formal definition of the word planet was agreed upon. With the advent of powerful telescopes on the ground and in space, knowledge about heavenly bodies became more complex, stressing the need for unambiguous definitions. The issue came to a head in 2005 with the discovery of the trans-Neptunian object 2003UB313 (unofficially termed Xena by it's discoverer, Michael E. Brown). 2003UB313 is a body larger than the smallest accepted planet, Pluto.

The suggested definition is not universally popular: some astronomers would like to draw the line at Neptune, and wouldn't classify icy dwarfs like Pluto as a planet, but as a trans-Neptunian object (similar to the plutons in the draft resolution) part of the Kuiper belt. Robin Catchpole, from the Institute of Astronomy, Cambridge, said in an interview: "The public are very clear about what they understand by "planets". Those are the big, dominant bodies in the Solar System that we're all familiar with, the eight - or nine if you include Pluto. I think including more is going to add confusion to the public, but not really be particularly useful for astronomers."

Pluto is now being considered to be moved off the list of classical planets, but as the prototype of the new plutons category. The ninth planet (as it is termed, but maybe not for long), discovered in 1930, is a curiosity among planets for more than one reason: because Charon is so big in comparison, both are considered twin planets by some.

The current proposal is the result of two years work of the Planet Definition Committee of the IAU, which is responsible for the naming of astronomical objects. The 26th IAU General Assembly in Prague plans to vote on the proposal on Thursday, August 24 of 2006. When asked if he was confident the proposal would get the necessary two thirds of the votes, Professor Owen Gingerich, Chair of the IAU Planet Definition Committee, replied: "I'm sure it will be controversial to those with a stake in some other solution, but I hope we will get an overwhelming endorsement."
    http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Astronom...al_new_planets

Beans

Re: Astronomers to vote on potential new planets

Interesting stuff.. so at the end of the day, how many planets will be in our system?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

As far as I'm concerned they can call them potatos. It doesn't have any affect on reality. IMO these smart people should spend their time doing something more important.
    Registered linux user 394273

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Talking Re: Astronomers to vote on potential new planets

Quote Originally Posted by professor_chaos View Post
    As far as I'm concerned they can call them potatos. It doesn't have any affect on reality. IMO these smart people should spend their time doing something more important.
    What so your not happy with the way your tax dollars are being spent..??

Isn't it great..??
    Ubuntu 10.10 user..
    Registered Linux user #419240.
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." -- Linus Torvalds.

Beans

Pluto is nolonger a planet.

Full story: http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Pluto_loses_planet_status

Beans

Well, as long as they don't try and convince me that the moon ISN'T made out of cheese, they can call a rock a planet if they want.
    I agree with other members, can't governments spend money feeding people on this particular rock first ?!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by richbarna View Post
    Well, as long as they don't try and convince me that the moon ISN'T made out of cheese, they can call a rock a planet if they want.
    And if Pluto is made of planet, isn't it a planet? Earth, Venus, Mars, even Saturn are made of planet, they are all planets. Pluto is made of planet but its a "dwarf" planet! That is bull $#!* !!!!
    They shouldn't insult dwarves in such a manner!

Uranus should have always been the End of our solar system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I think they should change it's name to Ork.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Good. Now let's get rid of that silly so-called planet "Earth." How can it be a planet when it's the center of the universe???

(No, I'm not serious. Yes, I'm for the reclassification of Pluto. About freaking time.)

curuxz is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vorian View Post
    And if Pluto is made of planet, isn't it a planet? Earth, Venus, Mars, even Saturn are made of planet, they are all planets. Pluto is made of planet but its a "dwarf" planet! That is bull $#!* !!!!
    They shouldn't insult dwarves in such a manner!

Uranus should have always been the End of our solar system.
    Made of planet....wtf?

Earth is made of rock...is a planet, the gas giants are made of gas...no rock.....still a planet. what the hell is this 'made of planet' stuff about.

Btw I agree with their choice, pluto is only slightly bigger than charon and smaller than X so im glad they have demoted it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast