Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Dansguardian Web Content Filter w/GUI (my version)

Beans

Re: How To: Dansguardian Web Content Filter w/GUI (my version)

Is there a way to set up Dansguardian to use a web interface?

One of my previous threads asked about personal filtering software (I use SafeEyes for my Windows partition) but so far I haven't found a good program for Linux that suits my needs. A web filter for a Christian-based Linux distro should at least be modified for use by a single person to filter for THEMSELF, having someone else (in my case, someone outside my palce of residence) as administrator for accountability purposes. For this to work, I need to be able to set up the program to use a web interface to make changes to config files.

Do you know if this is possible?

'Shady

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by PacShady View Post
    Is there a way to set up Dansguardian to use a web interface?

One of my previous threads asked about personal filtering software (I use SafeEyes for my Windows partition) but so far I haven't found a good program for Linux that suits my needs. A web filter for a Christian-based Linux distro should at least be modified for use by a single person to filter for THEMSELF, having someone else (in my case, someone outside my palce of residence) as administrator for accountability purposes. For this to work, I need to be able to set up the program to use a web interface to make changes to config files.

Do you know if this is possible?

'Shady
    That is actually a great idea. I am not sure if it is possible, but thanks for mentioning it.

Dansguardian is very powerful and there may be a way to set that up. There site has a lot of info on configuring the settings. You might want to check there as well. dansguardian.org

Jereme

Beans

Also, might be a good idea to discourage Kubuntu users to install this script. Ran it, it installed everything, added the extra packages mentioned by Tonhou, and tested it in Firefox. Seemed to be filtering, but much too strongly (all Google searches were blocked). Tried to change the settings, after a reinstall (for some reason the script failed to copy the GUI properly the first time round) and the from that point my connection to the internet was severed. Only just got back on after an hour of playing with settings and removal of Dansguardian, and for some reason my profile for Firefox was destroyed and I had to recover from backups. I'm assuming it's because I'm using Kubuntu (I hate Gnome, always preferred KDE well and truly over it), so yeah might be good to warn those using a distro other than plain vanilla Ubuntu to be wary of installing this script for the time being.

In the meantime, I'm seriously considering installing regular Ubuntu (or your Christian Ubuntu version perhaps) and just downloading KDE on top of it. Kubuntu just doesn't seem to carry the same level of support as Ubuntu (there again, KDE always seems to be regected in favour of Gnome anyway, so that's probably why).

'Shady

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The install went fine and filtering works. But it seems as excluding users from the filtering does not work. Is it because it is set up as a transparent proxy? It says that 'basic proxy authentication' must be enabled, and without knowing much about the subject I came to the conclusion that it can't be used with a transparent proxy. So, how can I exclude users from filtering?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by honda View Post
    The install went fine and filtering works. But it seems as excluding users from the filtering does not work. Is it because it is set up as a transparent proxy? It says that 'basic proxy authentication' must be enabled, and without knowing much about the subject I came to the conclusion that it can't be used with a transparent proxy. So, how can I exclude users from filtering?
    Yeah, I am still trying to figure that one out too. I haven't had time to dig into the dansguardian/tinyproxy documentation to see how to do it.

Jereme

Beans

I liked your dansguardian script/install.

To allow other users to bypass filtering, you will have to install someform of "identd" (eg. oidentd, pidentd, etc) for user authentication. Weird thing, i can't seem to find them. Have they been removed from apt-get?

There is info in the link (scroll up for more info on other systems):
    Identd and dansguardian

Hopefully this makes some sense.

Peace.
    Last edited by Vector Calculus; August 24th, 2006 at 02:32 PM. Reason: i made a boo-boo while typing.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Vector Calculus View Post
    I liked your dansguardian script/install.

To allow other users to bypass filtering, you will have to install someform of "identd" (eg. oidentd, pidentd, etc) for user authentication. Weird thing, i can't seem to find them. Have they been removed from apt-get?

There is info in the link (scroll up for more info on other systems):
    Identd and dansguardian

Hopefully this makes some sense.

Peace.
    I am not sure, but thank you for bringing to my attention. I will look into it.
    Thanks, Jereme

Beans

Thank you VERY MUCH for this! thankyouthankyouthankyou!

Beans

Excellent, really good! Thankyou very much, I don't know if this is relevant but it is working perfectly for me in an XGL session.

A question: Is it possible to allow certain website extensions? Like i'd like to allow all .edu and all .ac.uk sites? Can I do this?

A tip: Putting education into the allowed phrases list makes accessing things like sex education etc accessible and from a basic internet search doesn't allow any unwanted things through.

Calv

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by calvinthomas View Post
    Excellent, really good! Thankyou very much, I don't know if this is relevant but it is working perfectly for me in an XGL session.

A question: Is it possible to allow certain website extensions? Like i'd like to allow all .edu and all .ac.uk sites? Can I do this?

A tip: Putting education into the allowed phrases list makes accessing things like sex education etc accessible and from a basic internet search doesn't allow any unwanted things through.

Calv
    I am glad to hear you that it is working for you. I am not sure about allow certain web extensions. You may want to check at the Dansguardian site (www.dansguardian.org). Let me know what you find.
    Jereme

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast