Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Dansguardian Web Content Filter w/GUI (my version)

Beans

Re: How To: Dansguardian Web Content Filter w/GUI (my version)

Ok after editing things, i've messed it up and its not filtering at all any more! I tryed reinstalling the script but that hasn't helped, is there any way to completely remove this so I can reinstall it from scratch? The problem I think is this, from a terminal:

calvin@calvin-laptop:~$ dansguardian
    Error opening /etc/dansguardian/dansguardian.conf

Help much appreciated!

Calv

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by calvinthomas View Post
    Ok after editing things, i've messed it up and its not filtering at all any more! I tryed reinstalling the script but that hasn't helped, is there any way to completely remove this so I can reinstall it from scratch? The problem I think is this, from a terminal:

calvin@calvin-laptop:~$ dansguardian
    Error opening /etc/dansguardian/dansguardian.conf

Help much appreciated!

Calv
    Well, you can go to Synaptic and "Completely Remove" dansguardian, tinyproxy, firehol, clamav. That should uninstall it. Then you can run the script again. Be sure that you use a fresh copy of the script. I mean delete the folder and extract it fresh from the archive. That should get everything back up and running. Don't forget to reboot after you run the script. Keep me posted.
    Jereme

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Using ident on linux seems to be more of a hack than a solution: "For Unix systems where only a single user will be logged in at a time, you can use oidentd and set it up to return a user-specified string of "USERID : <OS> : <USERNAME>" where <USERNAME> is taken from an environment variable in a startup script. This isn't fool-proof, nor perfect, but it works."

In my case however I'm not trying to build a filter that can't be cheaten, it's just that I'd like to set up somewhat ridicoulusly tight filters for the 3-6 years old kids and still allow the rest of the family to be able to use the internet. So I just disabled the iptables rule that blocks direct connection to the proxy on port 3128, and configured firefox to use the proxy directly to bypass the filter.

Beans

Thanks Jereme, that worked great, all is back working again! After disabling the downloading restrictions i'm very happy!

Calv

Beans

Thanks for working on this. I have a young kid who will be using computers before long so I really appreciate making content filtering easier to use.

I'm going to add a link to this thread from the DansGuardian entry on Linux App Finder.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks Jereme, that worked great, all is back working again! After disabling the downloading restrictions i'm very happy!

Calv
    Great! I am glad we got it going again.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsolin View Post
    Thanks for working on this. I have a young kid who will be using computers before long so I really appreciate making content filtering easier to use.

I'm going to add a link to this thread from the DansGuardian entry on Linux App Finder.
    Thanks for the links.

Jereme

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Another script in these forums killed my internet connection. But this one worked perfectly on my stand-alone desktop.

Thanks!

David
    Registered Linux User #297958
    Registered Ubuntu User #13062

Beans

Is there any way to temporarily disable the whole filtering software rather than editing each bit individually?

Calv
    My Ubuntu & Non-Ubuntu Blog http://calvsspot.blogspot.com

Beans
    Hidden!

Is there any way to temporarily disable the whole filtering software rather than editing each bit individually?

Calv
    Here is a thread that discusses this.
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=261966

Be aware that some of the techniques are untested and not supported.

Hope that helps, Jereme

Beans

Dansguardian Web Content Filter w/GUI

I tried to adjust DansGuardian in Ubuntu 6.0.6 (gnome) using "System - Administration - Configure Parental Controls" but nothing happens when I click on the icon. Dansguardian is installed. How do I adjust it?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast