Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Dansguardian Web Content Filter w/GUI (my version)

Beans
    Hidden!

How To: Dansguardian Web Content Filter w/GUI (my version)

There are now two flavors of the dansguardian w/gui scripts. One for Dapper and one for Edgy. You can download them from their respective download pages using the link below.

www.mirror.christianubuntu.com

Thanks, Jereme

The info below is only for historical purposes.

I have built a script to install Dansguardian web content filtering with a GUI that allows you to easily edit the filter settings. This is a modified script that I use for the building of Ubuntu Christian Edition as well as in the scripts to "convert" to Ubuntu Christian Edition. I figured there are probably some people who do not want Ubuntu Christian Edition, but do want Dansguardian web content filtering with a GUI.

First let me thank those who inspired and guided this script through their work and posts.

nanomad: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...nsguardian+gui
    tonhou: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=207008&highlight=setup+dansguardi an

Instructions:

Packages Installed:

Dansguardian Web Content Filtering (dansguardian, tinyproxy, clamav, firehol)
    Graphical tool to easily change the Dansguardian filter settings (gambas, libqt3-mt)

How to run the script:
    1. Download the attached script archive to your Home directory.
    2. Right click on the archive and select Extract Here.
    3. Open a terminal window (Applications > Accessories > Terminal).
    4. Type the following then hit Enter:
    cd /home/YOURUSERNAME/install_dansguardian_gui
    5. Type the following then hit Enter:
    sudo ./install_me
    6. Type your password then hit Enter.

Once you have finished running the script immediately reboot your computer. Dansguardian WILL NOT function correctly until after you reboot. Your original sources.list file will be restored when the script is finished.

*Note: This is a powerful script. It will be making changes to your system and should be USED AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

**Note: This script has only been tested on a fresh install of Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper. Results may vary with other flavors of Ubuntu or different configurations.

***Note: You may want to make backup copies of the following files:
    /etc/apt/sources.list

****Note: You may see a few errors during the script regarding dansguardian and clamav. These should be ignored. Once you reboot your computer these configuration issues will be resolved.

*****Note: This script is somewhat disposable. If you need to run the script a second time you will need to extract it from the original archive.

After you reboot you will have Dansguardian web content filtering working in all browsers. You can modify the filter settings using the GUI. The GUI is located at System > Administration > Configure Parental Controls. After making any changes be sure to save the file in gedit and click "Save & Exit" on the GUI.

I hope you all enjoy.

Jereme
    Last edited by mhancoc7; March 24th, 2007 at 07:31 AM.

Beans

Re: How To: Dansguardian Web Content Filter w/GUI (my version)

Thanks Jereme.

It seems to install very well. Incidentally I have successfully set it up on Xubuntu and everything works fine (adds menu entries also).

Well done!

--Tony

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by tonhou View Post
    Thanks Jereme.

It seems to install very well. Incidentally I have successfully set it up on Xubuntu and everything works fine (adds menu entries also).

Well done!

--Tony
    Thanks Tony,
    I am glad that it is working. I always test a lot before I release something, but I always worry. I hope you enjoy.
    Jereme

Beans

Further to above comment about the script installing successfully:

Xubuntu : also requires that gedit be installed to enable the gui to work for changing the filters.

Kubuntu : everything installs and works fine but note these:
    1. At install there are many error messages that are not critical.
    2. For functioning of the filter changing gui then you must again install gedit which pulls in a number of gnome libraries (approx 7Mb download) and must also install gksu which is needed for password entry.

Edubuntu : have yet to try the script here but don't expect there to be any problems.

--Tony

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by tonhou View Post
    Further to above comment about the script installing successfully:

Xubuntu : also requires that gedit be installed to enable the gui to work for changing the filters.

Kubuntu : everything installs and works fine but note these:
    1. At install there are many error messages that are not critical.
    2. For functioning of the filter changing gui then you must again install gedit which pulls in a number of gnome libraries (approx 7Mb download) and must also install gksu which is needed for password entry.

Edubuntu : have yet to try the script here but don't expect there to be any problems.

--Tony
    Thanks for posting your results. I built the script for the default Ubuntu. It is nice to see what happens in the other flavors.
    Jereme

Beans

Question Re: How To: Dansguardian Web Content Filter w/GUI (my version)

Ok...I just installed this on Kubuntu (Dapper).

Here is my setup.

Router <-----> Kubuntu (Dansguardian) <----> Switch <----> Computers

I can no longer pull an IP from the router through my Kubuntu box. I have bridged my eth0 & eth1 and it was working fine before running the script.

Is there anything I need to adjust?

Beans

Question Re: How To: Dansguardian Web Content Filter w/GUI (my version)

A little more information.

My router is giving out IP addresses on a 10.2.176.0/24 network. I want to allow all computers on my network out to the internet (filtered of course).
    Last edited by Mithrilhall; August 18th, 2006 at 09:57 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrilhall View Post
    Ok...I just installed this on Kubuntu (Dapper).

Here is my setup.

Router <-----> Kubuntu (Dansguardian) <----> Switch <----> Computers

I can no longer pull an IP from the router through my Kubuntu box. I have bridged my eth0 & eth1 and it was working fine before running the script.

Is there anything I need to adjust?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithrilhall View Post
    A little more information.

My router is giving out IP addresses on a 10.2.176.0/24 network. I want to allow all computers on my network out to the internet (filtered of course).
    Sorry, but I am not sure. The script was intended to be used on Ubuntu. Hopefully someone here with a little more knowledge can help you get this sorted out. Please keep me updated.

Jereme

Beans

Briefly, this script is for setting up dansguardian on a single desktop system - you seem to be wanting a setup to serve a number of systems which will be quite a different arrangement.

--Tony

Beans

Well...I'm sure it's a problem with Firhol. Once turned off it I can pull and IP address through my Kubuntu server. I just need to figure out what needs to be changed in the firewall.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast