Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Dansguardian Web Content Filter w/GUI (my version)

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Dansguardian Web Content Filter w/GUI

Quote Originally Posted by mrhealthpatriot View Post
    I tried to adjust DansGuardian in Ubuntu 6.0.6 (gnome) using "System - Administration - Configure Parental Controls" but nothing happens when I click on the icon. Dansguardian is installed. How do I adjust it?
    The dansguardian GUI was built with Gambas so you will need the gambas runtime files. Open a terminal and run the following commands.

apt-get install gambas-runtime
    apt-get install gambas-gb-qt

Once you have these installed the GUI should be functioning. Just let me know if you still have problems.

Jereme

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How To: Dansguardian Web Content Filter w/GUI (my version)

I have added this script to the Ubuntu CE project. The original post is only for historical purposes. If you would like to add Web Content Filtering powered by Dansguardian with GUI please visit this link.

http://www.whatwouldjesusdownload.co...ring-only.html

Thanks, Jereme

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

is there any way to just use the gui for dansguardian?
    I'm installing dansguardian and squid so I only need the gui and not the installation script.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by A-star View Post
    is there any way to just use the gui for dansguardian?
    I'm installing dansguardian and squid so I only need the gui and not the installation script.
    If you would like I can throw together a little script to only install the GUI. Just PM me and I will get to work on it.
    Thanks, Jereme

Beans

I appreciate your work, Mhancoc, but I think I'm going to go with the manual install. I've Got Xubuntu Edgy Eft, and I tried your script; 'seems like something it did interrupted my access via symbolic links to my cdrom and I'm having trouble getting streaming audio to play as well.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Nopposan View Post
    I appreciate your work, Mhancoc, but I think I'm going to go with the manual install. I've Got Xubuntu Edgy Eft, and I tried your script; 'seems like something it did interrupted my access via symbolic links to my cdrom and I'm having trouble getting streaming audio to play as well.
    Sorry for your trouble. All of the scripts were built for the default Ubuntu. None have been tested on (X,K,Ed)Ubuntu.

Thanks, Jereme

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Nice How-to

This thread has been added to the UDSF wiki.

Dansguardian
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    Nice How-to

This thread has been added to the UDSF wiki.

Dansguardian
    Awesome thanks!

I wanted to point out a few things that need to be changed a bit.

I noticed that the sidebar notes that the script works with "Breezy 5.10". Their are currently two scripts, one for Dapper and one for Edgy. So Breezy 5.10 is not supported.

I also noticed that the sidebar notes that the script works on "
    (U,K,X)buntu". The scripts only work with Ubuntu. You can use them on Kubuntu and Xubuntu, but you would need to install gedit, gksudo, zenity, and possibly others that I may be forgetting. So only Ubuntu is supported.

I noticed that there isn't a link to the page to download the scripts. The link is http://www.mirror.christianubuntu.com. This will take you to a page to select the Edgy or Dapper version.

The code, "
    cd /home/YOURUSERNAME/install_dansguardian_gui", would need to be adjusted since there are now two scripts (Edgy, Dapper).

The note "
    Note: This script is somewhat disposable. If you need to run the script a second time you will need to extract it from the original archive.", no longer applies to the latest releases of the scripts.

Also the scripts now make dated backup copies of the sources.list file.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, Jereme

Beans

Actually, it turns out my problem with the cdrom may not have anything to do with your script. Sorry for misplacing blame; after I reinstalled Xubuntu, I still have the problem with not being able to access the cdrom.

Still, the caution about installing on Xubuntu should remain, I guess. 'Would be good to have the gui though. 'Need something like this that will work on slow machines with low memory.

Thanks again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Edit: My mistake
    Last edited by bodhi.zazen; December 13th, 2006 at 04:02 PM.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast