Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: writing scientific/mathematic papers

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: writing scientific/mathematic papers

Hmmm. I don't know. Kile might too quite tied in to KDE to allow you to use that feature so. Install kwrite and see if you get spell checking through that. Install kate too. It might be that there's something in the kate part which is needed for the spell-checking.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Steveire View Post
    Hmmm. I don't know. Kile might too quite tied in to KDE to allow you to use that feature so. Install kwrite and see if you get spell checking through that. Install kate too. It might be that there's something in the kate part which is needed for the spell-checking.
    Thanks for your help... I found another way to check spelling directly from Kile... I installed ispell - and with ispell Kile works... But still - Kile should be ok with Gnome...

Beans

I use ViM 7.0 with latex-suite. It has a lot of great options for producing LaTeX code quickly.
    For plotting, I use Matlab together with LaPrint, a nice little program to convert your matlab figure to eps and generate a .tex-file with ticks, legends and captions(using psfrags). For diagrams etc I use mainly xfig, with a script called figtex2tex, that again uses psfrags to translate all the text and numbers to tex-code.
    Very nice for getting a consistent look on your entire paper(which, IMO, is really important).

For presentations, I use the beamer-package with LaTeX.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

I also use bazaar (bzr) to do my version control and keep track of changes. Really helpful and easy to use to create a backup on my webserver.

Beans

Use the TeXmacs frontend to Maxima and gnuplot.

TeXmacs + Maxima:
    http://arxiv.org/html/cs.SC/0504039

TeXmacs + gnuplot:
    (See section 4. Graph Gallery)
    http://www.texmacs.org/tmdoc/examples/casdoc.en.html

However I don't think TeXmacs is UTF-8 enabled.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Solution for Aspell and Kile working on GNOME :
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost...61&postcount=5

Writing LaTeX equations in an OpenOffice document (writer and impress):
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=334218
    Last edited by Toufik; January 31st, 2007 at 12:06 PM.

Beans

Does LaTeX matter for typeset manuscripts?

deleted
    Last edited by cinnabar; February 3rd, 2007 at 12:07 AM. Reason: moved to new thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Smith View Post

So, I began writting manuscripts in Word. There is one HUGE advantage of Word to LaTex: you can share the document with the rest of the world. You can argue that Word stinks, but that advantage is a huge advantage that, in my experience, and has outweighed every advantage LaTex has to offer. Try sharing a LaTex file with a random person, and ask them to add their comments in the text (external review and revision is a part of the scientific process). You'll see what I'm talking about.
    When you make pdf's out of latex you can share them with anyone and they look the same in all computers unlike MS office documents. And at least the journals I am publishing in anyway need a pdf for the reviewing process...

I recently started writing my papers in latex because I got tired trying to get proper format with MS office or Ooffice. I use Matlab for creating my figures and I get great output with eps files. Have you tried to add eps file to MS word document

Unfortenately I publish in Agricultural engineering and veterinary science journals and not all of the them accept Latex. It is possible to use latex2rtf to produce files for such journals, but I find it doesn't do a very good job in converting equations.

For me also the only good thing in MS office compared to latex is the feature for tracking changes and making comments. I also like to use the comments feature in Adobe acrobat pro so I can comment pdf's without printing 'em. Does anyone know a free software (with a gui) that can add comments to pdfs or ps files? That would be really great!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by ahmatti View Post
    . Does anyone know a free software (with a gui) that can add comments to pdfs or ps files? That would be really great!
    I'm quoting my own post here, but I just discovered flpsed http://www.ecademix.com/JohannesHofmann/flpsed.html. You can add comments to pdfs with, excatly what I need. I compiled v. 0.39 from source and it works perfectly

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

I think those writing for Physics or Math journals underestimate the difficulties of trying to use Latex in other fields. I write for medicine journals and almost all of them will only accept .doc or .rtf files. Also, in order to allow my co-authors to review and edit my manuscripts, I have to stick to word documents. Even attempts to switch to openoffice are frustrated by minor incompatibilities with word (not ooffice's problem, I know).
    Registered Linux User 425324
    Ubuntu user # 12843
    Wrapping workspaces in Gnome
    Gmail notifier for Dzen

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345