• Rounded Style
    • MaG look
    • Sound4

Beans

Re: Edgy Art feedback request

My vote

• Rounded
    • MaG but the AoG logo seems interesting
    • sounds 4,5,7,8 are all great. (the one I really prefer is number 7)

What I would like from an ubuntu theme is that it was consistent, if one logo is chosen it should be used using the same colors on usplash, gdm and gnome splash.

Another thing that I would like is if kde could use the tangerine (our tango based theme) icons and a theme that looks the same as human, so when I need to use a kde app or even kde itself it doesn't look so alien. I just can't take that ugly crystal icon theme and plastic anymore.
    Last edited by retype; August 18th, 2006 at 05:40 AM. Reason: what i like about aog is the logo

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I agree with MetalMusicAddict and retype regarding style and look, but since I don't use sounds I have no preference when it comes to sound. To summarize:

• Rounded Style
    • MaG Looks

Beans

I think this time there is some serious risk of overdoing it... definetly too much gloss and bevel stuff... I think the clean way is best, but what I see is nither simple nor clean... and could easyly look very unprofessional. looking through the proposals I must say there is not really something that makes me say "wow" and there is some really nasty cheap looking stuff in there... seriously, I just miss the subtle, elegant solutions.
    the logo as it is now would be nice if it hadn't that cheap looking bevel effect, but if I had to choose one I'd say MaG... sorry to be so negative... I really appreciated the great improvements ubuntu made in the last versions, so I hope to see some more in Edgy!
    Last edited by HanZo; August 18th, 2006 at 01:53 PM.
    [>] visit my brand new blog: weblog.papernoise.net
    [+] follow me on twitter: twitter.com/papernoise

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I like MaG with the rounded look. Although I do like the background ideas in AoG, the high gloss gives it a cheap, plastic feel. As for color palettes, I personally like the idea of having several choices available once the design is set, but out of the two I like the lighter palette better. I am currently at work and cannot listen to the sounds but am looking foward to checking them out as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'll start with a warning: Mr. Torvalds would also call me an interface nazi. But now I'd like to leave my opinion.

General pallete scheme

I'd rather have a matte theme. The "matter" the better. While some gloss might be cool in *very selected* places, matte icons and background end up being more usable for me. This is actually why I changed dapper icons, orange glossy folders are basically screaming at me.

Topology

While some complex designs can look bloody nice at first, they may also feel tiresome pretty fast. I'd favour a slightly more elaborate failsafe, between the rounded (IIRC) and failsafe. Just don't make it ultra-glossy.

Sound scheme

Personally, I liked the first sound that used percussion. It felt on the ubuntulinux line. The next one also started good but, as a reader commented, the bells at the end gave it a christmas feeling. Most of the sounds, especially the first ones, sounded generic and too corporate. But my biggest complain is that all were too long.

As a final note, if there is one thing I hate more than glossy overalls (remember I'm an interface nazi) are mp3 tunes. Come on!!! Where is ogg!!! I thought this was a free software site...

Oh! Just one more thing. Kudos to all the artists, good luck and may god give you inspiration and a nice couple (if you are engaged, then I wish you nice children )
    Now on... Thinkpad T400

Latest news for radeon and/or radeonhd:
    ATI R600g Gains Mip-Map, Face Culling Support, 30th July 2010

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    As a final note, if there is one thing I hate more than glossy overalls (remember I'm an interface nazi) are mp3 tunes. Come on!!! Where is ogg!!! I thought this was a free software site...
    I was wondering the same thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I agree with the above posters concerning too much gloss... Although glossiness can be quite nice (silver moon on a dark sky, for ex. can summon awe), too much of it hinders more than it actually helps (hot sun in a clear blue sky hurts the eyes). On that note, I'd say what I believe would be the best move is perhaps a "tamed" MaG.
    As for style, I am thinking maybe a blend of the failsafe and rounded styles, but I am more inclined on rounded than not.
    And as for sound, I fail to see which would fit better than sample number 8, ubuntu-7x-fade-rev. Although I am not liking the ending particularily. Maybe cueing in the crickets earlier, and ending a flimsy bit faster with the drums going all the way through... I believe that with a little tweaking sample 8 could be the best startup sound ever. Way to build new user confidence!
    Last edited by Tiede; August 19th, 2006 at 06:54 AM.
    The oldest n00b in the 1337 world...
    I'm all for thinner screens... but how will the tiny people from CRTs fit in them?
    My current desktop for 2009

Beans

another thing that comes too my mind regarding the artwork: while I think orange icons are ok (in fact I like them very much) and some bright orange here and there is a nice touch as long as it is for small details, I think the overall colour of the interface shouldn't be too saturated. Brown can be a very beatiful colour as long as it isn't too saturated. I'd try to lower saturation for about 30% on all the artwork. Brown should remind of the earth, life, skin (at least these are the elements I associate with ubuntu)... things like this... so making it too saturated IMHO misses the point since it feels much more artificial.
    [>] visit my brand new blog: weblog.papernoise.net
    [+] follow me on twitter: twitter.com/papernoise

Beans

All this stuff looks and sounds great!
    A huge step up for ubuntu!

What I liked in Artwork:

Rounded and Matte. However, I thought that the wallpapers shown under 'All Out Gloss' were amazing.

Sounds:

At this point, Sample 3 was all-around best in my opinion. That said, I think that the African sounds of Samples 8 and 11 should be developed more. Given ubuntu's roots I feel like the sound theme should keep its hand drums.
    Opteron 165
    DFI nf4 DAGF
    1g RAM
    GeForce 6600 GT

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast