Thread: Obscure Application on Ubuntu: Voice Output

Beans

Obscure Application on Ubuntu: Voice Output

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a rather obscure application to work with speech output on Ubuntu. I installed the latest version of Ubuntu via the live CD with no problems (really cool, by the way!). The application (henceforth called The Thing, to emphasize my disdain) is available at http://www.loria.fr/~cansell/cnp.html, if anyone is daring to take a look to help me further. (I'm a grad student... forced to use This Thing for my research... *cringe*)

I don't know a lick about Linux, so when I installed Ubuntu I messed around with Orca for a bit and eventually figured out how to use apt-get to get packages. I yanked down Emacs and Xemacs, but couldn't get Orca to work within them. My research then lead me to Emacspeak, which I installed. I chose IBM Viavoice for my synth, as my research suggested, but then later found that this synth isn't available anymore (?), and Emacspeak thus didn't work when I typed its name at the gnome-terminal prompt. I then observed that it doesn't work with Xemacs anyway, so moved on.

I next found a package called Xemacs-Emacspeak, but only a .rpm of it. I learned of alien, to convert it to a .deb, but decided to stop here and seek advice from people who actually know what they're doing!

I'm looking to... well... get This Thing working! =). More specifically, is installing Xemacspeak a logical next step? Does Emacspeak have to be working first in order for Xemacs-emacspeak to work? Is there a screenreader specifically built for X? (I think Xemacs is built on X - but at this point I'm just dropping buzzletters and once again proclaiming my Linux malady.) Is this application usable at all or am I essentially wasting my time? Should I send the author hatemail? =)

Once I figure out this Xemacs business, then I'll work on installing The Thing, which will open up a whole new can of worms - but I'll get there when the time comes =). I'm mainly hoping that the Linux mavens out there can easily assess the situation and get me on the right track..

Thanks for any ideas. Your help is most appreciated,
    Dan

Beans

Re: Obscure Application on Ubuntu: Voice Output

All I know about speech is that suse has got it as part of the default install. I'm sure you can get it for ubuntu as well, but I have no idea what it is called, sorry...
    repartitioning your installation / forever noob / Desktop on Debian Lenny / IBM T41 purring along on bog Kubuntu