Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How to install Risk?

Beans

Re: How to install Risk?

I don't know that I ever got a direct response. I was able to eventually import the europe map into jrisk (now called dominion). Its not perfect last I checked there are a few bugs. I have not used it though because you need to manually place all your armies one at a time alternating players at the beginning of the game and that just takes too long.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Interesting... I didn't put it together until just recently. The Hasbro disc works just fine under wine, but only if one uses the open source "nv" graphics driver, and not the proprietary "nvidia" driver. Any idea as to why that might be?

For the longest time I could figure out why I could use it on some of my machines but not others.
    “Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.” -- Bertrand Russell

Beans

Trying to install Domination. Automatix is no longer available. Java is needed to run Domination.

1) installed java :
    root@MSIX340:/home/fl# apt-get install openjdk-6-jdk
    2) downloaded risk installer or Domination_install_1.1.0.1.jar from:
    http://risk.sourceforge.net/download.shtml
    3) right click on Domination_install_1.1.0.1.jar after making the file executable, and open with JavaJDK java 6 runtime.
    4) then follow the instructions to get the game installed, you will find Domination under Games
    Last edited by francois.e; December 25th, 2010 at 09:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

By the way, someone (zorkerz?) got a version of the Big Europe map up and running on Domination. Nice work! Still some tweaks needed - countries connected which shouldn't be, and others with long borders that miraculously don't touch, etc. - but it looks quite good.

I'm not understanding how to work the map editor, so if someone can give me some tips and tricks, I'd be glad to help. Secondly, the AI on Domination is OK, but there is at least one major flaw. Whether the computer player is working with 3 armies or 100, they all occupy their conquered countries. They never move just three in, which leads to some really bizarre placements, and wasted armies that never wind up back in play.
    “Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.” -- Bertrand Russell

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by francois.e View Post
    Trying to install Domination. Automatix is no longer available. Java is needed to run Domination.

1) installed java :
    root@MSIX340:/home/fl# apt-get install openjdk-6-jdk
    2) downloaded risk installer or Domination_install_1.1.0.1.jar from:
    http://risk.sourceforge.net/download.shtml
    3) right click on Domination_install_1.1.0.1.jar after making the file executable, and open with JavaJDK java 6 runtime.
    4) then follow the instructions to get the game installed, you will find Domination under Games
    still works

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345