dnswalk - Checks dns zone information using nameserver lookups

Both are available as Ubuntu packages, e.g.:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nslint
    sudo apt-get install dnswalk

Beans

Re: Howto: Setup a DNS server with bind

hi. i don't understand this part.

Step 3: Configure the main Bind files. Usually, if you install Bind from the source code, you will have to edit the file named.conf. However, Ubuntu provides you with a pre-configured Bind, so we will edit another file:

Code:
    sudo vi /etc/bind/named.conf.local
    This is where we will insert our zones. By the way, a zone is a domain name that is referenced in the DNS server
    Insert this in the named.conf.local file:

Code:
    # This is the zone definition. replace example.com with your domain name
    zone "example.com" {
            type master;
            file "/etc/bind/zones/example.com.db";
            };

# This is the zone definition for reverse DNS. replace 0.168.192 with your network address in reverse notation - e.g my network address is 192.168.0
    zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
         type master;
         file "/etc/bind/zones/rev.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa";
    };
    i really don't understand. after i type this
    Code:
    sudo vi /etc/bind/named.conf.local
    in the terminal, i get this:

Code:
    E325: ATTENTION
    Found a swap file by the name "/etc/bind/.named.conf.local.swp"
              owned by: root   dated: Sun Aug 24 16:36:39 2008
             file name: /etc/bind/named.conf.local
              modified: YES
             user name: root   host name: ubuntu
            process ID: 7076
    While opening file "/etc/bind/named.conf.local"
                 dated: Thu Apr 10 03:42:59 2008

(1) Another program may be editing the same file.
        If this is the case, be careful not to end up with two
        different instances of the same file when making changes.
        Quit, or continue with caution.

(2) An edit session for this file crashed.
        If this is the case, use ":recover" or "vim -r /etc/bind/named.conf.local"
        to recover the changes (see ":help recovery").
        If you did this already, delete the swap file "/etc/bind/.named.conf.local.s
    wp"
        to avoid this message.
    "/etc/bind/named.conf.local" 8 lines, 165 characters
    Press ENTER or type command to continue
    yeah, what's that? by the way, i'm new to this ubuntu server. i need help. ASAP. thanks.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Howto: Setup a DNS server with bind

Really is there a good tutorial available? Does it work with Hardy aka current s/w?

Summary for Techies: Those of you with the “open-source personality” that have functional Authoritative DNS servers operating don’t have the time to make a good, and self checked tutorial. Pick one of these “popular” tutorials – I will complete – Q&A it – then send concise detailed bug reports until the tutorial is truly complete, easy to follow and accurate. Then I will post with a clear searchable title with links in all forums and tutorial sites listed in this post with ACTIVELY aiding participants CLEARLY noted. Links to tutorials @ btm of pg.

Detailed Explanation: I am not looking for someone to try to help me with a particular problem. Rather I am looking for an accurate, detailed, recent, preferably self tested tutorial on setting up a BIND9 authoritative server. BIND authoritative AND caching server setup tutorials will be accepted as well; if a strictly authoritative server tutorial is not available YET.?! I am a windows administrator of 10 years who has not bought into the Open-Source wave until I reached the holy grail of Authoritative DNS servers. As you all know there is NO way to create an Authoritative DNS server on Windows w/out paying hundreds or thousands of dollars for the NT Server Super Package. Windows too has an open-source movement and most everything available for pay is available in a free version if you look and are willing to have less user-friendly gui’s. But DNS is held above normal programs of course and no-one but Mara-dns, and SANS has attempted to build an open-source authoritative dns for windows platform. You all know DNS Authoritative server configuration the key – no website operates without it!! You know NO top-notch tutorials exist – there is not one tutorial, or discussion on the topic that does not have unanswered problems on it. As a corporate desktop and website liaison I am clear as to why techies are not too eager to hand over key knowledge, or you can say we all understand you learn best when you figure things out on your own. Whether I agree with holding knowledge close to the breast or not – Linux and Ubuntu claim to be open-source and eager to have people “participate” in using, developing, and teaching the OS. I have taught myself Linux enough to run the gnome desktop, network a small lan, and serve a website to the world. Never have I asked for any knowledge that was not available publicly already, be shared with me – I understood why no tutorials, or manuals were completely accurate and clearly not self-checked.

I have fully completed, checked, read comments, searched discussions, forums, postings, and visited IRC for all the below tutorials to complete them. I have become quite familiar with the common problems initially configuring BIND9 on Ubuntu. Basically I have taken the time to complete these tutorials, carefully researched anomalies I found in each tutorial and made some basic notes on each. This is how I have come to the conclusion none are complete – not only do none have everything necessary to setup bind, but they often have mistakes, typos, and even contradict manual/other tutorial/publicly released fixes. How is someone supposed to follow a tutorial that leaves out fixes, and contradicts the manual . Being new to Linux I do not have the knowledge to confidently put together a good tutorial, but I have the ambition and a solid background to make the process easy. I want to create the one thing Linux still needs to make it truly Open-source to the public. A free OS with almost competitive word and excel is good, but if you really want to help those in developing areas you need to make the entire food chain to the world Open-source. My challenge and offer to the Ubuntu Linux Community is this:
    Demonstrate the definition of Ubuntu and help me help you show the Ubuntu server really is for everyone. Help me create the 1st truly useful BIND tutorial and make Ubuntu the first linux platform to successfully do this (perhaps FreeBSD has won the battle, but Ubuntu can still win the war due to its media popularity) This will take far less time than you all have spent TRYING to trouble shoot the various tutorials created but not refined. I will post this top-notch tutorial with a clear searchable title and links in all forums and tutorial sites listed in this post with ACTIVELY aiding participants CLEARLY noted. This is all I should have to offer the “truly open-source community”. Thank you for your time.

Tutorials on BIND9 DNS:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/installing...rver-with-bind

http://www.unix-tutorials.com/go.php?id=917

and of course this “tutorial” I am posting to now

There are other tutorials that seem to repeat parts of these listed tutorials, but these seem to be the most complete, and tested available. Thank you for your time. Feel free to PM me, post a link to a tutorial EVERYONE has somehow missed, or take me up on what seems like a much needed effort.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've seen a couple goot tutorials on Google somewhere I'll try to get them, but I thought this was a decent one with everyone contributing and what not.
    Google Ventures / Prowl

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I have been looking at this how-to and on this page

http://www.madboa.com/geek/soho-bind/

to find out as much as possible how to set up a caching DNS that also resolves my small, local network.

As far as I understand, there is not a lot of information needed to get this running, but one thing that might be an idea for anyone out there that want to help absolute beginner get this right without a lot of hassel, is to make a webpage where you just enter the needed information in a form and get the files ready to be copied.

Here is what I figure is needed:

The model is a small network with a router acting as the gateway, a Ubuntu server and a number of pc's, Linuxboxes or Mac's connected to the lan.

An official domain exists and is hosted on an external webhotel. It is important not to mess up this, so a local subdomain is made - lan1.xyxyxy.com

POP3, IMAP and SMTP servers are available at the webhotel address mail.xyxyxy.com

The DNS server for the small network will of course be this server. It will also be a web server (LAMP) and a file server running SAMBA.

Server name: black
    Local domain name: lan1.xyxyxy.com (replace xyxyxy.com with your official domain name)
    Server IP address: 10.0.0.10
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 10.0.0.1
    DNS1: 208.67.222.222 (Using OpenDNS)
    DNS2: 208.67.220.220 (Using OpenDNS)

Additional computers on the lan:

IP: 10.0.0.20 name: blue
    IP: 10.0.0.21 name: red
    IP: 10.0.0.22 name: green

Do I need anything else to set up the local DNS, or is this information complete?

Anyone out there that would like to make a BIND9 generator for Ubuntu? A webpage that generates the files so beginners can just copy them?
    Last edited by Oceanwatcher; December 1st, 2008 at 07:52 PM.
    Regards,

Oceanwatcher
    Blog about free software: http://www.datahverdag.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

In the options file, is it ok to add two DNS'es, each one on a separate line? So it becomes (using OpenDNS)

Code:
    forwarders {
          # Replace the address below with the address of your provider's DNS server
          208.67.222.222;
          208.67.220.220;
    };
    In the zone definition, you have this line:
    Code:
    example.com.      IN      SOA     ns1.example.com. admin.example.com. (
    If your lan is called lan1.xyxyxy.com and your server is called black, would it be correct to have this?
    Code:
    lan1.example.com.      IN      SOA     black.lan1.example.com. black.lan1.example.com. (
    Or do you need to have ns1 and admin? Anyway - what is admin.example.com? Is it a mandatory address?

How do you indicate in the zone file that you have an external mailserver? POP3, IMAP and SMTP are all on the same server - mail.xyxyxy.com

I am in the middle of trying to sort out all this and get it working on my local server... Learning a little every day, but impatient to get it all working
    Last edited by Oceanwatcher; December 1st, 2008 at 08:23 PM.
    Regards,

Oceanwatcher

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Here is another quick question:

I have a laptop that can connect both wired and wireless. If I want to include this laptop in the zonefile, will this be correct?

Code:
    yellow    IN    A    10.0.0.25
    yellow    IN    A    10.0.0.35
    Regards,

Oceanwatcher

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Did a test of the setup so far and I am getting an error on the forwarding:

Code:
    /etc/bind/named.conf.options:8: unknown option 'forwarders'
    I even deleted the commented lines to make sure comments did not mess up the forwarders:

Code:
    options {
            directory "/var/cache/bind";

auth-nxdomain no;    # conform to RFC1035
            listen-on-v6 { any; };
    };

forwarders {
          208.67.222.222;
    };
    After some searching, I found the answer. There is an error in the example - here is what I think the options should look like:

Code:
    options {

// If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
            // to talk to, you may need to fix the firewall to allow multiple
            // ports to talk.  See http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/800113

// If your ISP provided one or more IP addresses for stable
            // nameservers, you probably want to use them as forwarders.
            // Uncomment the following block, and insert the addresses replacing
            // the all-0's placeholder.

// forwarders {
            //      0.0.0.0;
            // };

auth-nxdomain no;    # conform to RFC1035
            listen-on-v6 { any; };

forwarders {
          # Replace the address below with the address of your provider's DNS server
          208.67.222.222;
          208.67.220.220;
    	  };
    };
    Notice the bracket and the semicolon that has been moved from the line above "forwarders" and down under the IP addresses. The "forwarders" option needs a closing bracket and it needs to be within the "options" brackets. A bit like div tags

EDIT: Ehrrmm... After checking the first post again, I think the original poster can say his example is correct. I just did not have a clue to where it should go. So I just copied his code at the end of the options file, getting it wrong. I am letting this post remain both as an example of how something can be misunderstood and as a warning to other readers that they really need to know what they are doing... I am wondering what else I missed.

To the OP - maybe it would be a good idea to include the options text in it's entirety so nobody else do what I did?
    Last edited by Oceanwatcher; December 1st, 2008 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Not readin and understanding the subject fully before speaking...
    Regards,

Oceanwatcher

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

What have I done wrong?

deemar@Jurassic:/etc/bind$ nslint
    nslint: missing "ptr": www.deemarwebdesign.com. -> 68.144.96.207
    nslint: missing "a": deemarwebdesign.com. -> 68.144.96.207
    nslint: missing "ptr": mta.deemarwebdesign.com. -> 68.144.96.207
    nslint: missing "ptr": ns1.deemarwebdesign.com. -> 68.144.96.207
    nslint: 68.144.96.207 in use by deemarwebdesign.com. and www.deemarwebdesign.com.
    nslint: 68.144.96.207 in use by mta.deemarwebdesign.com. and deemarwebdesign.com.
    nslint: 68.144.96.207 in use by ns1.deemarwebdesign.com. and mta.deemarwebdesign.com.
    etc/bind/named.conf
    zone "deemarwebdesign.com" {
    type master;
    file "/etc/bind/zones/deemarwebdesign.com.db";
    };

zone "96.144.68.in-addr.arpa" {
    type master;
    file "/etc/bind/zones/rev.96.144.68.in-addr.arpa";
    };
    /etc/bind/named.conf.options
    options {

forwarders {
    68.144.96.207;
    };

auth-nxdomain no; # conform to RFC1035
    listen-on-v6 { any; };
    };
    /etc/bind/zones/deemarwebdesign.com.db
    deemarwebdesign.com. IN SOA ns1.deemarwebdesign.com. admin.deemar$

)

deemarwebdesign.com. IN NS ns1.deemarwebdesign.com.
    deemarwebdesign.com. IN MX 10 mta.deemarwebdesign.com.

www IN A 68.144.96.207
    mta IN A 68.144.96.207
    ns1 IN A 68.144.96.207
    /etc/bind/zones/rev.96.144.68.in-addr.arpa
    @ IN SOA ns1.deemarwebdesign.com. admin.deemarwebdesign.com. (
    2006081401;
    28800;
    3600;
    604800;
    )

IN NS ns1.deemarwebdesign.com.
    207 IN PTR deemarwebdesign.com.